Former Labour MP urges voters to back Johnson instead

snoop1130

Former Labour MP urges voters to back Johnson instead

cdsf.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks during an event launching the Conservative Party's general election campaign in Birmingham, Britain, November 6, 2019. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - A British lawmaker who quit the opposition Labour Party earlier this year saying it had been taken over by extremists and anti-Semites urged voters on Thursday to back Prime Minister Boris Johnson over Labour’s Jeremy Corbyn in next month’s election.

Ian Austin, who left Labour in February to stand as an independent member of parliament, said Corbyn had failed to tackle anti-Semitism in the party and his left-wing economic policies would cost jobs and put investment at risk.

Furthermore, Labour’s Brexit policy of quickly re-negotiating Britain’s European Union divorce deal and putting it to a new referendum was a “complete fantasy.”

“I’m not a Tory. This isn’t where I want to be,” Austin told BBC radio.

“I wouldn’t say that Boris Johnson is unfit to be our prime minister in a way that I say that about Jeremy Corbyn. I think the country has a big choice to make, and I think that Jeremy Corbyn is completely unfit to lead it.”

Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson said on Wednesday he would stand down at the Dec. 12 election but said the move was due to personal reasons, not the political differences he has had with Corbyn.

Austin, whose adoptive father was a Jewish refugee who fled the Nazis, said he could not accept what he said was the rise of anti-Semitism in Labour under Corbyn.

“Most shamefully of all for a party which has got a proud record of fighting for equality and opposing racism, the Labour Party has been poisoned with anti-Jewish racism under his leadership,” he said.

Labour has denied accusations of anti-Semitism since 2016, shortly after Corbyn - a veteran campaigner for Palestinian rights - became its leader. Labour said in July it was “implacably opposed to anti-Semitism.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-07
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Labour’s deputy leader Tom Watson said on Wednesday he would stand down at the Dec. 12 election but said the move was due to personal reasons, not the political differences he has had with Corbyn.

Yeah, right:

51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We never hear of any evidence for antisemitism only accusations.

I also hear the same thing with the Conservatives regarding being anti Muslim.

I honestly feel this kind of sensationalist reporting of events in politics is serving us all poorly. Unnamed sources is my pet hate. If someone is not prepared to back something up with credible sources then dont report it. 

Its the same when the source is a "respected impartial think tank". When you look at the actual backers of this think tank they are never impartial.

Journalism has gone right downhill in the past 20 years. Newspapers and the media all have agendas and any form of balance or investigative journalism is a thing of the past.

I've never understood this anti-Semitism thing. Why is it bad? 

Can I be anti-muslim but be ok? Can I be anti-Chinese/Russian or whatever and be ok? 

I'd love someone to explain why being called anti-Semitic is seen as a bad thing.

I'm not trolling but asking a genuine question as I simply do not understand.

Edited by emptypockets

Does supporting Palestine make you an anti-semite? I would be interested to see what evidence there really is. I believe what Israel is doing to the Palestinians in many respects is wrong, but I am not anti-semetic. Just as I believe what Turkey is now doing on its borders is wrong, does not mean that I hate Turkish people. 

Having said that, I am not advocating for Corbyn. If I were to vote, I would vote conservative. Not because I like them. I don't. But because I believe the we need to respect the result of the referendum otherwise democracy no longer exists.         

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I've never understood this anti-Semitism thing. Why is it bad? 

Can I be anti-muslim but be ok? Can I be anti-Chinese/Russian or whatever and be ok? 

I'd love someone to explain why being called anti-Semitic is seen as a bad thing.

I'm not trolling but asking a genuine question as I simply do not understand.

It's an interesting question.  Thai visa is chock full of posters who are quite spiteful in their anti-muslim rhetoric.  Why is that acceptable but being anti-semetic or even anti-Israel is not? (Although the Chinese/Russia element means it isn't racist, so that could be a thing).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotEinstein said:

Craig Murray gives some background that shows how dirty this election is going to be....

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/11/mainstream-media-pro-johnson-propaganda-gets-into-full-swing/

I have a soft spot for Craig and always like to read his blog. That said he can somtimes veer towards loonspuddery !

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Craig_Murray

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Antisemitism is bad because no other religion/race in history has been mass exterminated as an industrial process and this within the lifetime of our parents , and in Europe - in theory a cradle of civilisation. 

I think the very many Africans who were dragged into slavery would argue with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I have a soft spot for Craig and always like to read his blog. That said he can somtimes veer towards loonspuddery !

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Craig_Murray

I stopped reading Murray a while back. He appears to know something secret about everything, but his answer is always the same, deep state and conspiracy, deep state and conspiracy, deep state and conspiracy. It gets wearying eventually. I get the impression from some of his writing that he actually is paranoid, and should seek medical attention. 

He certainly hits the nail bang on the head sometimes though, and paranoia is sometimes justified of course. It is though, not a practical modus vivendi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I stopped reading Murray a while back. He appears to know something secret about everything, but his answer is always the same, deep state and conspiracy, deep state and conspiracy, deep state and conspiracy. It gets wearying eventually. I get the impression from some of his writing that he actually is paranoid, and should seek medical attention. 

He certainly hits the nail bang on the head sometimes though, and paranoia is sometimes justified of course. It is though, not a practical modus vivendi.

I admit some of his theories are a bit left field but you need to remember he was the victim of a conspiracy and the deep state on more than one occasion.

He does have insights into how the government departments operate in the real world though which is something I will never have.

And when he says you cant trust them to tell you if the sun has come up then I tend to find myself agreeing with him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Why Tory? If you believe that Jeremy Corbyn is completely unfit to lead to country, vote Lib or Green.

Austin is (Arguably justifiably) embittered, and has finally lost his marbles.

Absolute garbage! Wishful thinking, more like......

16 hours ago, kingdong said:

And what's the greens manifesto promise?take us back to year zero?

To start with, the Green manifest does not take us back to year zero. If we do not mend our ways dealing with the environment, we may be back in year zero, or drown in sea water (not we but our grandchildren). However, I agree that voting Green may be a wasted vote, but voting LibDem could be the right answer. They committed to not joining Corbyn, and they stand firm on No Brexit. So?      

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Those that MI5 would seek to destroy they first make mad....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Shayler

• Like 1

Gideon Bull a Labour candidate standing for Clacton is understood to have called a Jewish councillor 'Shylock' (a villainous Shakespearean character) is believed to have withdrawn from standing for the position of MP for Clacton. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

To start with, the Green manifest does not take us back to year zero. If we do not mend our ways dealing with the environment, we may be back in year zero, or drown in sea water (not we but our grandchildren). However, I agree that voting Green may be a wasted vote, but voting LibDem could be the right answer. They committed to not joining Corbyn, and they stand firm on No Brexit. So?      

So?Perhaps lib dems should honour its promise to abolish student debt and tuition fees if they got in,when they got in via coalition with the Tories they did sweet fa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

So?Perhaps lib dems should honour its promise to abolish student debt and tuition fees if they got in,when they got in via coalition with the Tories they did sweet fa.

Blimey we are in perfect agreement on this one ! That said Clegg blocked a EU ref when he was in coalition and at least (as far as we know) he didn't sh(g a pig's head. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, vogie said:

Gideon Bull a Labour candidate standing for Clacton is understood to have called a Jewish councillor 'Shylock' (a villainous Shakespearean character) is believed to have withdrawn from standing for the position of MP for Clacton. 

Corbyn, the friend of terrorist terror groups sworn to destroy Israel and murderers of Jewish people, pretends he's not anti-semitic. But of course, does little to discourage anti-semitic tendencies within his Momentum / Militant SWP controlled Labour Party.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

And has shared a stage with IRA bombers and has denied all knowledge of it, Corbyn takes lying to another level.

I was half expecting him to launch his wreath like a frizbee when he stepped forward to lay it at the cenotaph today.

• Haha 1