Thailand ranks sixth on world’s strongest health security list

rooster59

Thailand ranks sixth on world’s strongest health security list

tewit kemtong

bf0e7058657efbdac76dc9e2adceffe6_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - Researchers from Johns Hopkins University have ranked Thailand sixth among a total of 195 countries with the world’s strongest health security, Asia’s No. 1 and the only developing country in the Top 10.

Deputy Prime Minister/Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today that Johns Hopkins University researchers presented their research during a conference at the Office of the Permanent Mission of the Netherlands to the European Union in Brussels, Belgium on November 13, 2019.

Thailand scored 73.2 out of 100 points. Thailand has been recognized as having the highest level of preparedness to cope with epidemics among 13 countries.

The conference focused on the strategic roles of a working committee in the steering of the world’s health security between 2019 and 2024. The meeting resolved to have Thailand host the ministerial-level Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) in 2020 and to chair a working committee on the steering of GHSA in 2021. GHSA has operated since 2014, to upgrade measures for alert responses to epidemics, and currently consists of 60 member countries.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-11-17

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand scored 73.2 out of 100 points. Thailand has been recognized as having the highest level of preparedness to cope with epidemics among 13 countries.

Good! Please keep us informed how you are coping with that road fatality epidemic!

Add to it why have the hospitals have let their guard down to run up huge debts on unpaid medical services that are attributed to by visiting aliens. Resulting in now aliens having to buy junk Thai medical insurances to offset losses.

John Hopkins University is a private research university in Baltimore, USA. Who funded the research? What was the model they used to gain data. Who verified the data was correct. Where is the scoring model. There are so many questions unanswered. Having graduated from 2 universities I would be kicked in the you know where with such a bland statement they have made without supporting evidence.  I take this as fake news.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Good! Please keep us informed how you are coping with that road fatality epidemic!

I guess the doctors get lots of practice with all the road fatalities, stabbings, shootings, rapes, lung problems from pollution and general mayhem.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Add to it why have the hospitals have let their guard down to run up huge debts on unpaid medical services that are attributed to by visiting aliens. Resulting in now aliens having to buy junk Thai medical insurances to offset losses.

Utterly irrelevant to this report, just a ride on one of the usual hobbyhorses.

John Hopkins University is a private research university in Baltimore, USA. Who funded the research? What was the model they used to gain data. Who verified the data was correct. Where is the scoring model. There are so many questions unanswered. Having graduated from 2 universities I would be kicked in the you know where with such a bland statement they have made without supporting evidence.

Pro tip: go read the report. Any uni graduate I know would be kicked in the you know where for asking know-nothings on an internet forum to do his own easily-performed primary research for him. A simple news blurb for the masses about the report isn't the report. Now, were your unis, er, accredited? Private or public? What accrediting agency and what scoring model did it use? Who verified your degrees? Blah, blah . . . .

I take this as fake news.

I take your post as another fake objection among the many here.

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Maybe they confused Thailand with Taiwan. Geography is not a forte of many Americans.

If so, then, alas, it seems of many Brits as well, even if provinciality is a forte:

The GHS Index is a project of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHU) and was developed with The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).

Is "Economist Intelligence Unit" among those oxymorons we keep mentioning here? But contributors also came from a number of other countries no doubt including from the EU:

To create the GHS Index, NTI, JHU, and the EIU project team—with generous grants from the Open Philanthropy Project, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Robertson Foundation—worked with an international advisory panel of 21 experts from 13 countries to create a detailed and comprehensive framework of 140 questions, organized across 6 categories, 34 indicators, and 85 subindicators to assess a country’s capability to prevent and mitigate epidemics and pandemics. 

So much for that silly little bash.

The study was about Thailand's preparedness for epidemics, not about road accidents, hospitals treatment, stabbings etc. else so many of the comments are completely off point. There is currently a mini epidemic of Dengue fever in Thailand and in my village we have received two recent visits by health visitors to our home. Although entirely anecdotal to me this indicates that risks of epidemics are being taken seriously by the public health authorities.

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

John Hopkins University is a private research university in Baltimore, USA. Who funded the research? What was the model they used to gain data. Who verified the data was correct. Where is the scoring model. There are so many questions unanswered. Having graduated from 2 universities I would be kicked in the you know where with such a bland statement they have made without supporting evidence.  I take this as fake news.

Whoa, hold on ... This is presented as a news article citing the report. It is incumbent on those interested to go to the report and ask the questions you cite. Same as an announcement that cancer research has found something that attacks the specific cancer.  

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I see yellow, orange and red on the map key but I don't see green on the colour code, which is the colour allocated to Thailand?

Yellow code.

As will be seen in the map included in the full report, helpfully linked in post #7. 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Utterly irrelevant to this report, just a ride on one of the usual hobbyhorses.

Pro tip: go read the report. Any uni graduate I know would be kicked in the you know where for asking know-nothings on an internet forum to do his own easily-performed primary research for him. A simple news blurb for the masses about the report isn't the report. Now, were your unis, er, accredited? Private or public? What accrediting agency and what scoring model did it use? Who verified your degrees? Blah, blah . . . .

I take your post as another fake objection among the many here.

If so, then, alas, it seems of many Brits as well, even if provinciality is a forte:

Is "Economist Intelligence Unit" among those oxymorons we keep mentioning here? But contributors also came from a number of other countries no doubt including from the EU:

So much for that silly little bash.

Another post from the government. 

9 hours ago, legend49 said:

Amazing isn’t it, a positive light shines on Thailand and all the bigoted haters start frothing !!

Perhaps they just felt they didn’t need to explain that to anonymous forum pundits - however as it’s so important to you what did they reply with when you asked them ? 

9 hours ago, legend49 said:

such a bland statement they have made without supporting evidence.  I take this as fake news.

The bland statement has been made by the person who wrote the news article. If I were sufficiently interested in the subject I would do a web search for the original report (to which a good journalist would have given a link)

16 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Glass always half full eh ? 

In the meantime give it a bleedin rest - if the roads here frighten you so much, move! 

On my way, leaving tomorrow!.....and by the way, the glass is half empty!

7 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Incredible, what a beautiful safe country Thailand has become, someone from Baltimore has received a free holiday vacation with a family in Thailand from TO

Who or what is TO?

Archived