4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not ex Royal Navy, ex Army, a few old Navy mates told me a few years ago what a brass monkey was, very interesting.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

I used to spend the summers, and a few other holidays, with my mum who lived in Sandown Isle of Wight. She took me on a trip to HMS Victory in Pompey at the naval base there. Still remember it clearly. It was the place where I saw a brass monkey for the first and only time in my life.  The source of the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". 

Yes, quite a few sayings come from the old seafarers. The guide on HMS Nelson describes quite a few although the only one I can remember now is getting caught between the "Devil and the deep blue sea".

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.  

My wife doesn't give them "Jack", and naturally I asked come one day, "honey" why don't you give them something....huh, they have hands and feet and can work, instead of always asking for money on the

This story starts 22 years ago.   I first met my future wife, Dee, when she was selling papaya salad (somtam in Thai) on a street stall in Nong Khai. I was forty one and tired of the single

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, quite a few sayings come from the old seafarers. The guide on HMS Nelson describes quite a few although the only one I can remember now is getting caught between the "Devil and the deep blue sea".

Do tell, heard the saying but not really thought about it, 👍

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Avocado seeds starting to grow roots.. Thanks Mr. Owl 

848E7671-F462-4863-BEA3-DAB57480B385.jpeg

That's fantastic DJ.

When the treeling is about 15 inches high, transfer it to a small potting bag. No rush. get a good root growth first. I'm gonna do mine today. Pics later.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

My mate was in North London and he found three Arsenal season tickets nailed to a post. He pull em down and put them in his pocket. "Can never have enough nails", he told me.

Definitely going to borrow that for FB, change Arsenal to Leeds, some of my fellow Elland Road fans might not see the funny side though 😀

Might even get some death threats 😳

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I just asked Mrs C. The ones on the left are called Manao hoo or Mamuang how (มะม่วงหาวมะนาวโห่) I think the name varies in different parts of the country.

We have a small tree in our garden and got about 5kg this season - about 10 weeks ago.

I made about 10 litres of very nice wine using some cider yeast - it takes ages to clear, so most of it gets consumed cloudy.

Yup, the old lady says Manao Hoo and Cherry.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Definitely going to borrow that for FB, change Arsenal to Leeds, some of my fellow Elland Road fans might not see the funny side though 😀

Might even get some death threats 😳

And I’m going to borrow it for my mob, Carlton… currently no coach and no CEO, but a shiny new President with an itchy trigger finger… never boring… 😢

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bannork said:

How are the ponds doing now Owl? Our three are full now.

IMG_20210916_122540.jpg

IMG_20210916_122528.jpg

It's raining right now. Not heavy enough to stop a game of cricket though.

The ponds are between 60 and 70 per-cent full. The main farm gently slopes down to the rice paddy. In past years I would release excess into the next farm through the pipes under the road. I've blocked those off, for the last three years, as I need the water to run into the ponds.

Just not happening at the mo. Another two weeks to get that big rain. After that all is lost, and I'll take stock on what ponds to fill and what ones to empty.

I'll take some pics and post next Owl Log.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl,

My wife informs me that Ubon is getting set to flood-plenty of rain upriver..have things improved in your neck of the woods?

Not yet.

Had a shower in the night. Lasted for 20 minutes or so.

I'm being totally selfish. Only want rain to fill the ponds.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1