Visa Runs -holiday>?

Well have to go on my 90 day visa run and don't want to deal with busses and boarders..So its cheap to fly in asia, so where would you go if you was me? Did the singapore thing and really don't know where to go..was thinking of Phnom Penh Cambodia, or Vietnam..But don't need to see a country with beggers and filth..wow some talk..

Thanks guys.

A great deal depends on where you live and what you want.

Penang is clean and comfortable.

Singapore is good for shopping.

A road trip to Had Lek, near Trat, and across the border into Cambodia is cheap and easy if you have a car.

(Very few beggars there.)

While I'd prefer not to have to leave the country to get a new stamp, I've turned the task into a way to see more of SE Asia. I make it a reason to vacation.

I've done Saigon Vietnam, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Vientiene Laos, Columbo Sri Lanka, Singapore a dozen times (love it), Hong Kong, Shanghai China, and as I write this post, I'm sitting in Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia.

You can add Maledives, Phillipines, Myanmar, India (new airline has the business class at reduced rates), Brunei, KK in Malaysia is supposed to be great.

I want to do Kumming, China soon.

I liked Vientine, Laos the most. :D

Bali is lovely.

Singapore has great hotels and is really, really easy.

If I'm forced to go back home and work one day, I'll be able to look back and enjoy seeing lots of Asia.

Wonder if those visa runners will reminice on thier Green Busses to Mai Sai.... 5 5 5 :o

Edited by misterme

Well have to go on my 90 day visa run and don't want to deal with busses and boarders..So its cheap to fly in asia, so where would you go if you was me? Did the singapore thing and really don't know where to go..was thinking of Phnom Penh Cambodia, or Vietnam..But don't need to see a country with beggers and filth..wow some talk..

Thanks guys.

I made a flight to Phnom Penh this past December, fun, clean, lots of changes since my last trip in April 1974.  Stayed on the water front at the California 2 Guest House (http://www.cafecaliforniaphnompenh.com/) altho there's a host of other places, and eateries.

However, reckon Luang Prabang is still my favorite.  Fly direct from Bangkok via Bangkok Airways, or go first to Vientiane and fly from there.

Or, do a combo run, Phnom Phenh and Luang Prabang, flying.

Mac

Thanks guys..Once again this site shows why its a must for people in and out of thailand..Looks like Phnom Penh Cambodia, is where i'm off too..I have my thai wife comming with me and sure might have to pay for some bs for her to come..its really amazing found round trip out of bkk air asia and its 1800 baht for round trip, and another 2200 baht for some taxes etc etc and yes another 500 to leave bkk..lol

what to do in Phnom Penh ?? any ideas? how about tours to see Cambodia.

Thanks again

steven

Edited by stevenls

Thanks guys..Once again this site shows why its a must for people in and out of thailand..Looks like Phnom Penh Cambodia, is where i'm off too..I have my thai wife comming with me and sure might have to pay for some bs for her to come..its really amazing found round trip out of bkk air asia and its 1800 baht for round trip, and another 2200 baht for some taxes etc etc and yes another 500 to leave bkk..lol

Thanks again

steven

Stay down by the river, walk around a bunch, visit the museum, close by.  Catch a tour or three, lots advertised.

Sip an Angkor beer or three?

I did the e-visa last trip, handy, saved 20 minutes by not having to get in the visa-on-arrival queue.  FYI, it's $25 vs the $20 for the visa-on-arrival.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/index.php

FYI II, here's the url for the handy guide to Phnom Penh, hard copies available all over the place there, guest houses, restaurants, etc.  Good guide.

http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm

Mac

The trouble with places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and India is that you need a visa to get in. :D

Another page in the passport wasted.

You may get additional pages added to your passport.

Keeping it neat and tidy, rather than seeing the world seems crazy to me.

Or were you joking? .....Oh, I guess you must have been, I see your a mod/longtime poster.......Sorry :o

The trouble with places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and India is that you need a visa to get in. :D

Or were you joking? .....Oh, I guess you must have been, I see your a mod/longtime poster.......Sorry :o

The passports of many countries do not allow extra pages.

The passports of many countries do not allow extra pages.

I wasn't aware. Do you know of a list....and how to overcome the problem?

I can't imagine it's impossible...but I've been wrong before.

Thanks again

steven

No, AFAIK the airport tax, now up from 500 to 700, is included in the ticket price. This being since sometime mid Feb.

Last time I flew into/out of BKK two weeks back I never paid the airport tax.

The US passport will add extra pages. I've not heard of other countries that do this. Mine wont.

I filled up my last passport after 2 years. What's the big deal. :D This time I issued the BIG passport with extra pages and it's already filling up quickly.

As far as Visas go. I don't spend alot per day... but add up those days and months and I Spend a Fair Amount of Dough. Why shouldn't the government of the country I visit get a fee for the visa? :o

TukTuks asking for too much. Venders asking 'you give me more'. Hotels and restaurants upping the prices.

I'd rather give $50 more to the Government than to some of these well off tourist touts. :D

eg. 60 days in Thailand ~ spend 1000THB/day = 60,000THB ~ cost of visa 1000THB

or 1 week in Laos ~ spend $40/day = $280 ~ cost of the visa $35-43

I ll think pnhom phen is probably the cheapest and most interesting tour to do at the moment. Nice laid back atmosphere, yes very poor but very friendly as well. Sit on the waterfront, maybe on the balcony of the FCCC ( foreign correspondent club cambodia) and have a cheap and delicous ankor beer.

A bit of sightseeing at daytime.

regards

timo

You obtain a new passport. Believe the UK passport is of this type; and many others.

So, again...crazy to stay home.

What is the problem? I'm a little confused that someone would put off traveling because their passport would get messy or filled, when you just get a new one.

Am I missing something here?

Two long time members are saying don't travel to certain countries.....are you pulling my leg?......seriously guys what's the reason for your posts?