tm7 still required?

Went to Udon Thani this week to get 30 day extension. After checking into the hotel, I double checked with the receptionist that they would give my tm30 details to immigration that evening, so I could go first thing in the morning to immigration. She had never heard about having to do this, so called her boss who had no idea either, just telling me was a new hotel and they had never done this before (decent 4* star hotel opened for a couple of months) so after me explaining that they MUST report every foreigner staying at hotel to local immigration or face big fine, the hotel boss seemed to take it seriously and eventually photocopied my passport and got it taken to immigration. Was quite a bizarre situation, and I was just amazed they knew nothing about it. 

So off I go first thing to immigration, completed tm7 in hand and photos of the required dimensions. Was seen in about 5 minutes, the io never even asked for my tm7 or photo, just took my pic with the computer cam on her desk, didn't ask for an address just if I was staying in Udon, stamped my passport and then asked for 2000thb, and even with the 1900 ready in my hand, I didn't want to risk her losing face and causing grief, so took the wallet out to give her the 2k. ???? 

Is it common among most immigration offices to not ask for the tm7 anymore? 

• Thanks 1

That's an Udon thing. At other immigration offices you might also be required to complete a "request certificate of residence form" in case you want one, Udon doesn't require this as well.

That they ask for 2000 THB (or don't give the 100 THB change) is standard practice there, but i always insisted on 1900 THB and they didn't make any trouble about it.

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's an Udon thing.

30 minutes ago, oobar said:

Sisaket does not bother with a tm7.  Last time I extended there, they peeled the photo off the form and threw the form away.

So they have no paper trail with details backing up the stamp in a passport - or am I misunderstanding? 

And no address on file........

Just now, topt said:

So they have no paper trail with details backing up the stamp in a passport - or am I misunderstanding? 

Normally they complete the TM7 on their computer and print it out. That is what the office does here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally they complete the TM7 on their computer and print it out. That is what the office does here.

Do they make you sign it after they have printed it out otherwise it still seems a little "flexible"?