Buying gold chain jewellery in Thailand

notrub

I recently posted about buying gold online here in Thailand.  Buying gold as an investment is one thing, displaying your worth as gold worn daily is another.  In the west 24K is generally seen as being too soft to wear every day; 10, 14 and 18K are seen as 'gold' there.  So we Johnny Foreigners are not simply being cheap when looking for 18K gold, it is what we have learned about what is practical gold usage.   The high price of pure gold today shows that it is probably not such a good idea to buy it as an investment just now.

I bought a nice looking chain (which can be easily returned) online for about 40 Euros (1,450 THB).  The local gold shops here in the fields of sunny Isaan do not sell 18K.  As long as it does not turn my wife's neck green I will see this as money well spent and a long way from the 30,000 THB for a 24K 1,5mm dia chain that I was planning on.  On the other hand, if I could buy a nice looking 18K gold chain from a reputable seller for a bit more I would prefer to do that.  Or even the name of shops that sell this type of gold outside BKK. 

The various tests described by 'https://bullionexchanges.com/learn/test-gold-real' are interesting and will try them out, just for fun. 

All comments welcome, of course, and thanks in advance.