Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Shame the air quality in the rest if the Chiang Rai province is unhealthy for 7 to 8 months a year. Could be so beautiful. I sadly left Chiang Rai because of the pollution.

unfortunately i have to agree with you! we would like to move as well,

but personal commitment do not allow it right now. since a few weeks

our air purifiers are in use, even the burning season hasn't started yet ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canopy said:

And asking for clean air to breathe is not asking for perfection. It's asking the minority to stop being selfish and ruining the air everyone else is breathing and making innocent people sick and die for no good reason. It's just asking for the most basic courtesy and concern for others sharing the air, not perfection.

You can ask all you want but I am not sure your asking will change anything.  I am more about trying to control my own life than I am about trying to ask others to accommodate my wishlist.  I take the same attitude on the roads.  It is up to me to keep myself safe and not allow anyone to kill me.  I don't like to play the blame game.

I acknowledge there is a place for crusaders and activists but that is not my calling in life.????

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:
2 hours ago, canopy said:

To give you a comparison expats in my area tend to come from working class backgrounds, are overweight, in poor health, no fitness, poor diet, and their only care in the world seems to be saving a few baht at makro. They don't talk about air pollution and astonishingly I find many are in fact out there burning their plastic trash in their yards just like the thai's do. They don't have air purifiers or air monitors and they're bored to death if you bring the air up while drinking their cheap chang in front of them. I have yet to meet one expat that cares about the air pollution or even the environment. Thailand seems to attract a certain type of individual. I see there are a few concerned here at Thaivisa and that's good. But it's not a popular topic as clearly the lions share of expats are lamenting visa changes, TAT numbers, government competency, and those sorts of things which get more posts in a day than this subject will in a year.

What is your area?  I would like to know so I can avoid it and the farangs who reside there.

I would most definitely swear off all farang contact, if I were limited to that demographic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looking at the historic AQICN site data is quite interesting.

image.png.64fda392f46b71cac66683e1aa084e21.png

Unfortunately I cannot find any year on year data that would indicate long term trends.

I feel that recent guidelines from civic leaders regarding ways of minimising the effects of the forthcoming season by hiding indoors with an air purifier to be of concern. Sounds like they've given up any attempts at prevention!

Edited by stuartd1
Pasted wrong image
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stuartd1 said:

Looking at the historic AQICN site data is quite interesting.

image.png.64fda392f46b71cac66683e1aa084e21.png

Unfortunately I cannot find any year on year data that would indicate long term trends.

I feel that recent guidelines from civic leaders regarding ways of minimising the effects of the forthcoming season by hiding indoors with an air purifier to be of concern. Sounds like they've given up any attempts at prevention!

Can you post the link to that historic data page.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, canopy said:

Aside from this I completely agree with everything you said and I really enjoy and admire your upbeat attitude and incredible photos and inspiring experiences. To give you a comparison expats in my area tend to come from working class backgrounds, are overweight, in poor health, no fitness, poor diet, and their only care in the world seems to be saving a few baht at makro. They don't talk about air pollution and astonishingly I find many are in fact out there burning their plastic trash in their yards just like the thai's do. They don't have air purifiers or air monitors and they're bored to death if you bring the air up while drinking their cheap chang in front of them. I have yet to meet one expat that cares about the air pollution or even the environment. Thailand seems to attract a certain type of individual. I see there are a few concerned here at Thaivisa and that's good. But it's not a popular topic as clearly the lions share of expats are lamenting visa changes, TAT numbers, government competency, and those sorts of things which get more posts in a day than this subject will in a year.

And asking for clean air to breathe is not asking for perfection. It's asking the minority to stop being selfish and ruining the air everyone else is breathing and making innocent people sick and die for no good reason. It's just asking for the most basic courtesy and concern for others sharing the air, not perfection.

Finally, saying something just lops say the last 2 years off your life would indeed be ideal, but that's not how it works. You'll get ground down 2 years earlier. Everything goes bad 2 years before it should. You lose 2 good years, not 2 bad ones trimmed off the end. It can be difficult for some to accept part of short time we have on the earth being stolen by inconsiderate people whose habits would not be tolerated one bit where we come from and surely in the future, not in Thailand either.

I think you are living and moving in the wrong circles. Just about every foreigner I know here does not burn their trash in their back yards,in fact nor do any of the many Thai's I know, and in fact do care about pollution and the environment. And as for the number of posts related, there are hundreds of them around this forum and the forum as a whole.

Not so easy. There isn't even any garbage service where I am. Early on i asked the high ups what to do with garbage and they said to burn it or dump it in the national forest. This is what everyone does. I refuse to do either of these and haul mine to public dumpsters 50 kilometers away. I've learned the government wants our village to get dumpsters but the people in the village successfully fight against it. They all enjoy burning plastic and will never willingly submit to newfangled ideas pushed on them from outsiders. And as I said there are expats merrily burning their garbage along with them. And one has to wonder what these millions of toxic household fires lit on a daily basis are doing to the atmosphere. It may be a larger part of the problem than we know.

20 hours ago, Thailand said:

And as for the number of posts related, there are hundreds of them

That's nothing! To me these types of issues are far more important than the hot topics that get more posts in a day than this ever will in a year. I am appalled people are killing each other with the burning which negatively impacts the health of 100% of the population in the area (expats included) yet most on thaivisa cannot be bothered to even read about or understand it. And if they do, they yawn it off and talk about something else. Unbelievable to me.

• Like 2