Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

6 minutes ago, canopy said:

you trying to link the entire burning problem to evil corn businesses is pretty out there in la la land.

I never suggested that the entire burning problem was linked to the corn business.  It is you out there in la la land to think that I have.

Your suggestion that nobody cares about the burning is uninformed.  There are a lot of Thais who care about it.

10 minutes ago, canopy said:

The rural people not only don't care about the air quality but mostly don't even know it's smoke in the air and think it is just fog.

I live in a rural area and my neighbors are well aware of the difference between smoke and fog.  They also care about air quality, it is not just the more educated people who are aware and concerned. 

Like many issues in this country education is the key and that takes generations to overcome the problems be it litter , on road behaviour ,mounting debt etc. We don't hear of many positive messages from Government to help people understand that they are poisoning themselves and their families just threats of fines which are never forthcoming. Going to take decades

• Like 1

I like to ride my bike for 40 inutes or so in the morning,  before it gets too hot.   I live down along the river,  and there are some fish packing factories that managed to stay operational after the last big clampdown on folks forced into work for peanuts. 

Along the side of the country road there are about 30 big signs that say "DO NOT DUMP HERE"  ETC,  and there are always piles of mattresses and tv's and plastic bottles.    With the packing factory,  I've seen hundreds of styrofoam coolers that were piled up and then they BURN them.    All of that nasty CFC  <deleted> goes flittering up into the air...  Which is headed straight to BKK

I think,

"Forgive them father,  for they know not what they do."

Edited by samuttodd

5 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Seeing that you keep down playing the smog situation, which severly affects a lot of people's health, I understand why he/she might come to that conclusion. My children were getting sick of the smog in CR, and we had to relocate, costing us millions of baht. So reading that you keep yourself healthy, so that the smog doesnt affect you, and foreigners should not complain about this 'cultural trait', came across as very self centered indeed. 

I simply don't believe the complaining will have any effect but feel free to complain if it makes you feel better. You apparently chose to relocate and I see nothing wrong with that.  I choose to stay and modify my own behavior and conditions inside my home.  Longterm, I am hopeful Thais will find ways to deal with various kinds of local pollution and that worldwide humans will come to their senses but in the meantime we have to take responsibility for our own lives.

I support your right to do what you think is best for you and I will continue to do what is best for me and mine.  We don't have to agree but we can still be civil.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, samuttodd said:

I think,

"Forgive them father,  for they know not what they do."

Can we please stop this racism of lower expectations? Let’s get one thing straight - the Thais know exactly what they’re doing and the repercussions of burning garbage/rice stubble/corn like no tomorrow. They’re fully aware of their actions. They simply don’t give a ****. The ones that do seem to care don’t care enough or care more about things other than health - namely money or a no-conflict mode of being which is sometimes masqueraded as compassion and justified by a perversion of original Buddhist values (but is really just another expression of laziness). Like everything else here the burden of responsibility is passed on like a hot potato. Stop playing their game of choosing to not recognize the importance of owning up to ones reprehensible actions. Don’t give them a free pass. They know what they’re doing. 

Would you extend the same compassionate scripture towards Westerners doing stupid damaging behaviors at everybody else’s cost? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, I think this typically Thai habit of blithely avoiding personal responsibility at the cost of widespread societal damage is ingrained in the culture to such an extent that this pollution issue (amongst many others) will never be solved. Certainly it will not improve in our lifetime. It’s infuriating. So many other countries grow rice, practice agriculture, etc. I’ve spent significant time in the Japanese countryside. Everyone eats rice 3 times a day. Yet not once in my many years there did I witness any agricultural burning.

• Thanks 1

racism of lower expectations?   

I am not racist,  I am married to a thai national.   Westerners used to do <deleted> like this all of the time.   We used to burn the fields at the end of summer when I was a kid in the Willamette Valley,  but stopped because we got tired of the air pollution.  We used to run diesel Smudge pots in the spring to keep our fruit buds from being killed by frost,  but stopped because of the smoke.    Now we use circulation fans and Propane.   Because out of towners moved into the area and screamed bloody murder when It was all sooty from the smoke.     It took time and lots of people making a fuss,   but the farmers changed because of it.  (The cost of the end product went up.)

It comes down to money here.   If the Farmers could afford to augment the soil,  then they could plow the old stuff under after harvest instead of torching it.   They are barely making it as it is.

Edited by samuttodd

On 12/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, Dante99 said:

Your suggestion that nobody cares about the burning is uninformed.  There are a lot of Thais who care about it.

No, they tell you they care about it. If they cared they would do something about it, be it protests, or helping to educate people on different methods. 

Doing nothing is the same as not caring. It’s just lip service otherwise.

9 minutes ago, dcnx said:

No, they tell you they care about it. If they cared they would do something about it, be it protests, or helping to educate people on different methods. 

In the rural around where I live, there is trash collection, recycling, no burning in the smoky season by 90+% of the people.  So they are doing something since these represent change from 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:
On 12/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, Dante99 said:

It is your incorrect assumption that they are not doing things to improve the situation.  

I have seen people doing positive things for a number of years but I do not live in the city.

Edited by Dante99

They have been burning since a week or two already, but only at night, every morning i could smell the smoke and according to my PM2.5 meter the AQI was 170+, but over the day this cleared up and the air was ok.

Today they have been burning all day, so the AQI was like this all day long. Maybe the police is in new year holiday now, so they are not afraid even a little bit?

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Dante99 said:

It is your incorrect assumption that they are not doing things to improve the situation.  

I have seen people doing positive things for a number of years but I do not live in the city.

I have no doubt there are some people peeing in the wind, but at scale nothing is being done. It’s getting worse, not better.

Its December and it’s 160. Last year was one of the worst in recorded history. CM is usually within the top 20 most polluted cities on the planet, sometimes making it to the top 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1