Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

The good thing is with colder weather you can wear a mask without sweating too much around your mouth ????

There is no such thing as "burning season". Checking the AQI and using air purifiers, masks is a part of daily life.

The Thais wonder why there are less tourists coming to Chiang Mai. Given the air quality and with social media widely available these days informing everybody it's hardly surprising. The only tourists that will tolerate the polluted air are the Chinese as it's normal for them. ???? 

Edited by Forza2002
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's 8:30 am here in Chiang Mai Dec. 28th with a blanket of smoke covering Doi Suthep. This City has to wake up otherwise no one will be visiting pollution level is 159. I thought last year was bad starting in February. Some one needs to take this issue seriously. 

• Haha 1

No one will take it seriously.

It just does not matter. Look outside. Whom of the local population do you see wearing a mask? No ones cares. I am talking about the majority, not some 5 Thai people you see in one week wearing a mask.

You can take your precautions with masks and purifiers indoors. In the end we all have to adapt our lifestyle during the time we are in Chiang Mai.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:10 AM, Sparkles said:

Like many issues in this country education is the key and that takes generations to overcome the problems be it litter , on road behaviour ,mounting debt etc. We don't hear of many positive messages from Government to help people understand that they are poisoning themselves and their families just threats of fines which are never forthcoming. Going to take decades

Education is good, having consequences works better though.

• Like 1

3rd straight winter in Chiang Mai and this December has been ridiculously bad. I don't recall a single day in February last year when the mountain vanished behind an impenetrable veil of smoke like today.

Obviously it can't be vehicle emissions; is there a fire map or other means to see where the smoke is coming from? Not that it will change anything, but at least to have an idea of what's happening and why.

Amazingly, very few people wear masks, Thai and foreigner included. Probably keep their windows wide open as well throughout the day and night.

Yesterday evening, biking to meet a friend in Chiang Mai, an old woman tended the fire outside her home, feeding it leaves, plastic, everything. I was astonished, why?? Just throw the trash in the myriad plastic trash cans nearby and NEVER burn anything in the city; it's utterly pointless.

Edited by Capacitor
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, dcnx said:

They are always burning near us. It’s usually impossible to open the windows and enjoy clean air when we have it. The strong smell of burning plastic comes right in the moment we do. We’ve had to add extra seals to our doors and windows to stop it from coming in even when they are closed. 

That's something that really sucks. Samui has some of the cleanest air in the country, but the neighbors insist on burning their trash instead of putting it out on the street to be picked up. They don't (or can't afford) to pay for the mandatory black plastic trash bags that have to be used to put it out on the street. The smell of burning plastic is nauseating.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

the air is the worst I have ever seen it here up north. Although it seems most of the burning I am seeing going on is coming from Myanmar and spreading this way. It's been pretty unbearable at times these last two weeks

The air is cleaner, between Chiang Mai & Burmese border.  Try some different BS

1546855661_Screenshot-28-Dec-1911_17_18AM.jpg.e92cdf06c1473bc339adf8779c386357.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

They have been burning since a week or two already, but only at night, every morning i could smell the smoke and according to my PM2.5 meter the AQI was 170+, but over the day this cleared up and the air was ok.

Today they have been burning all day, so the AQI was like this all day long. Maybe the police is in new year holiday now, so they are not afraid even a little bit?

We are about 15km-20km away from the towns that the IQAir stations/towers, call them what you like are and both were at 152, with the PM2.5 levels being at around 56.2ug/m3 however as of late with the help of a TVF poster TallGuyJohninBKK advising me to get a second SNDWAY PM2.5 detector as I was too far away from these reading and I did, while the detector only has the PM2.5 reading, it took me a little while to get my head around it, but the reading outside this morning was 20ug/m3 which is a heck of a lot better than the 56ug/m3 reading of both towns in opposite directions.

As for the police, they never give a rats a$$ around here, just take a drive down the road for 15 kilometres and you will see the flames every couple of hundred metres, and just this morning my wife yelled out close the windows and I knew something was up, yep Yi next door wanted to burn her leaves, and what a smoke fire it was, the Indians would have probably seen the smoke from far away ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

Now or last April, when the air had a lot more body, I never felt any different physically. No different from any other time, anywhere else. It's really just a visual thing. If you didn't see well, you'd never notice. 

Could this be Darwinism at work here in CM? If you have a weak constitution, perhaps you will be driven out, leaving the splendors of the city and environs to the strong, like me. 

>..<

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

The air is cleaner, between Chiang Mai & Burmese border.  Try some different BS

1546855661_Screenshot-28-Dec-1911_17_18AM.jpg.e92cdf06c1473bc339adf8779c386357.jpg

This is what the Thai powers that be want you to think: it's smoke from neighbouring countries.

Unfortunately, some gullible individuals actually fall for that nonsense. It will only lead to even more complacency when it comes to tackling the issue.

Shame.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

This is what the Thai powers that be want you to think: it's smoke from neighbouring countries.

Unfortunately, some gullible individuals actually fall for that nonsense. It will only lead to even more complacency when it comes to tackling the issue. So please stop perpetuating that myth. Thanks.