Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

44 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Now or last April, when the air had a lot more body, I never felt any different physically. No different from any other time, anywhere else. It's really just a visual thing. If you didn't see well, you'd never notice. 

Could this be Darwinism at work here in CM? If you have a weak constitution, perhaps you will be driven out, leaving the splendors of the city and environs to the strong, like me. 

>..<

Last year was the first I have ever worn a mask because of the smoke, thats ten years. It was a hell of a lot worse last year, peddale fake news else where

9 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Last year was the first I have ever worn a mask because of the smoke, thats ten years. It was a hell of a lot worse last year, peddale fake news else where

You must be talking about the official burn season last year. That doesn’t start for a few more months. Being this bad in December is troubling.

Side note, you should wear the mask more. The air is usually bad here, it’s just not this bad.

13 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I hear you. After almost 20 years here, we will be leaving later in the coming year. Our health is too important and there is no end in sight to the pollution. Immigration is becoming increasingly difficult as well. There are too many options out there to continue swimming upstream in a country hell bent on killing itself (via every way possible) and making it difficult for us to stay. It’s simply time to move on.

I also hear you, and don't think I am too far behind you because I have kids and looking at the pollution situation, don't want them exposed to any unnecessary PM2.5 readings when it can be avoided by implementing simple measures, which IMO from the lowest to highest level are inept of carrying out.

37 minutes ago, saengd said:

Diary of an expat in Chiang Mai:

November to December - bitch about the cold nights

January to May - bitch about the heat and the pollution

June to September - bitch about the heat and the rain

October - enjoy

It’s not like we can go out and play golf... :coffee1:

26 minutes ago, Marc666 said:

The good news is that nanoparticle numbers correlate with NOx readings.So reduced exposure to combustion engines reduces nanoparticle exposure,either by not living or being close to busy roads,or having electric vehicles.

Ironically,being a Chiang Mai resident and being exposed to the burning season seems to be less harmful than living close to heavy traffic.

The bad news is that, although sometimes called the burning season, what we are actually breathing is a toxic mashup of all the emissions trapped in this massive valley by low pressure, including diesel traffic from as far away as China, some of it decades old.

So, even if you live far from roads, and are surrounding by rural Thais farmers happily burning crops and plastic, all those diesels emissions from the rest of this massive area are constantly circulating in the air you breath.

Thanks for posting about this, very interesting, I was able to find a link for the article you referred to:

The toxic killers in our air too small to see

Other recent research on the impacts of air pollution - including cardiac, neuropathic (stroke), pulmonary, diabetes, arthritis, even depression - have led me to believe that many people living in Chiang Mai because it is supposedly cheaper are storing up incredibly expensive medical problems for the future. This is an unprecedented experiment on human beings.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

That is called life.

Only by the sort of broad definition that defines anything that happens to human beings as "life".

That does not mean we should not attempt to avoid things that harm us, especially once we become aware of the extent of the damage.

• Like 1

Not through the roof just yet, but unusually high for this time of year. AQI where I live has been 150-160 for 5-6 weeks now. Beginning yesterday it has jumped to 170-190. I have already dug out the N95 masks earlier today. Truly disappointing.

There was one theory that made sense to me since I did notice the levels went up at night, was that people are burning to stay warm; especially people who live in mountain villages. In fact all around me at properties where groundskeepers live on the grounds taking care of empty homes, I see them all burning at night. But today the levels were already going up to 184 by 10:00 so.

5 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Most of the cities in that top 10 support tens of millions people each and have huge industrial complexes that form the backbone of their respective economies.

What's Chiang Mai's excuse for being in that list?

Not wanting to upset ignorant, uneducated peasants?

• Thanks 1