Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

We must pray for days.   Then start an online campaign for Australia, and then donate trees, and then wear green shirts.......if you are over 50, I hope you have been helping the world for decades!!!  

oh, no?  only posting and watching and doing nothing but drinking beer with bar girls?

well, there you have it...

this is why the Earth burns....nobody tries to help before or after.  

18 hours ago, mike787 said:

If CM wanted to improve air quality they would....REALITY they DO NOT want it to change.  Thais LOVE it the way it is.

How would you suppose CM might improve AQ beyond recently imposed measures?   REALITY ... you havent a clue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, McTavish said:

How would you suppose CM might improve AQ beyond recently imposed measures?   REALITY ... you havent a clue.

I think you're right, McTavish.

And, good and intelligent people were always/often too silent.

This must change.

Interesting article about PM2.5 in Beijing, China:

https://www.inkstonenews.com/society/if-beijing-measure-china-may-be-winning-its-war-pollution/article/3044800

"In 2019, the capital’s average concentration of PM2.5 – the most harmful small particles and a key indicator of air pollution – fell to their lowest levels since its air quality monitoring network started operating in 2013."

Now we wait until the Chinese tourists won't tolerate Chiang Mai's air quality anymore and leave en masse. 

• Thanks 1

Now I hear people say, 80, not bad.   555.  When you get 10 days a year under 50, 200 days above 100, and 20 days above 200 (I'm guessing), you are super happy, best life ever, best retirement ever, greatest choice ever, best decision to move here ever, happy to spend money here... when you see 80.    When pollution and health issues is a DAILY concern, you know you made the best choice for yourself.  

• Like 1

This past holiday season we spent 2 weeks exploring the countryside around Chiang Mai in every direction. Generally, the air was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. The AQ was better the further north we went.

Spent about 6 days in Chiang Mai city, our 5th time to the city since 2015, and never have we seen the air pollution as bad as it was. Couldn't see the western mountains. OK, it's not New Delhi or Hanoi, Vietnam, but it was baaaad!

Sucks, 'cause we may not return to Chiang Mai next yr if the AQ keeps getting worse. Needless to say, seriously rethinking retiring in the area...

Surely if a place like Beijing can improve its AQ, something can be done in Chiang Mai? (unless the majority of air pollution is coming from OUTSIDE Thailand)

36 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

My app is showing 162 in CM now......great!!!!!  It's like walking around in smoke all day, all night.  Don't worry, just go to the clinic once-a-week, wear a mask, don't exercise during the day, try to avoid dairy (accelerated allergies), and don't ever ask kids to come and see you.  If under 26, this might hurt your brain's ability to grow, causing massive mental damage for the rest of your life.  Besides that, did you see the special on noodle soup for only 15 baht???  

Yes, but you don't meditate twice a day.

Plus archery!

"If you don't love Chiang Mai, you don't love (a shortened) life!"

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, edwarda909 said:

The AQI website lists ranges of 110 -152 for the 2 stations near me.  

The AQI AirVision app on my iPhone at 1.52pm is showing 160 or 73.ug/m3 which is UGLY.

Is that an outside reading your getting or an inside reading ? 

Edited by 4MyEgo

The AQI website seems correct.

My Xiaomi air purifier showed 70-80 this morning - this is the pm2.5 concentration - you can convert to AQI on the AQI website, it is about 150-200 AQI. So same number.

My portable device shows a similar number - 80 outside which is 163 AQI.

Today is a good day to get things done online and stay indoors.