2020: Crackdown on tourists working without work permits - 50K fines and deportation awaits

webfact

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

i take it you have never spoken to an inmate at the immigration lock up?

I've read the reports, seen photos. Def not a pleasant experience, but an interesting one. But then, I've been living a pretty adventurous life so far. For a 9-5 couch potato, it would most likely be a shocking ordeal.

Plus my embassy would be involved and I'd be lawyered up to the teeth before you could say somtam, so I guess it would quickly burn down to the most common denominator - cash.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Beggar said:

There are many. Some don't get paid and think this is no problem then. But it is not important if you get money or not. It is important that you do something that could be classified as work. 

Film industry springs to mind.

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Of course its totally normal to do this, do you think all these models that go to fashion weeks, music videos etc get a work permit in every country they visit? lol no, normally no one gives a <deleted> and no country cares. Same for DJs and co.

Do you think a DJ from the US gets a work permit for a dj gig on ibiza, london and co - nah only the big ones, it's a pain in the ass and really no one gives a damn if they have one or not. they fly from one country to another every day in a plane, logistically impossible to get work permits everywhere.

Models and DJs absolutely do usually get work visas to walk in shows and play internationally. 

I've never gone through the process... but I've been told that entertainment visas in Thailand aren't particularly hard to secure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm amazed that this would be a big deal, as i wouldn't suspect too many foreigners on tourist visa's working in Thailand .....  maybe a few but certainly not a hundred or even 30 .....   ? 

Clearly everyone knows that tourists working in Thailand are on an education visa ????

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm amazed that this would be a big deal, as i wouldn't suspect too many foreigners on tourist visa's working in Thailand .....  maybe a few but certainly not a hundred or even 30 .....   ? 

You'd be surprised. 

As a backpacker I was offered many jobs, TV commercials, Film extra etc

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Believe it or not but there are many Thai who are also sick and tired of the way things go here, no improvements, nepotism, scamming, corruption, low quality of life, traffic jams and so on.....They go to Japan or Europe whenever they have the chance!

I know. I've met a few educated, young Thais, who both understand what the establishment is doing to their society and who can critically look at the shortcomings of their country. But they, unfortunately, are a very, very small minority - and usually working abroad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Anyone flying halfway across the world to play some records at a disco probably

has an agent and legal team who would attend to such mundane matters, or failing

that would grease the appropriate palms.

You just made that up. 

The bookers would be expected to organise everything.

4 hours ago, Bournville said:

OK Thailand government. We understand.. Crack down on TM28 and TM 30, crackdown on TM47. Crackdown on foreign overstayers. Crackdown on no work permit. Crackdown on not enough cash upon airport arrival. Crackdown on no medical insurance. Crackdown on visa requirements. 

How about cracking down on things much more important in Thailand that would benefit all Thai people, maybe foreigners too, and create a safer, healthier and happier place to live? 

This sort of news is getting nauseating. 

Crackdown on online message boards coming soon!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justin case said:

2020 and the STAZI secret police from former DDR is alive and well in thailand

sieg ?

Of course and it will get worse as the economy declines even more.

In a society where it is the norm to blame all others, the foreigners will always be a good first choice.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You'd be surprised. 

As a backpacker I was offered many jobs, TV commercials, Film extra etc

yeah but all jobs a thai cannot do anyway lol

Are they going to paint a thai with with with paint to make him look farrang???????

Edited by ThomasThBKK

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

People should;d obey the law here. If you wish to work apply for a work permit. It is simple and there is no excuse not to comply with the law. Anyone working on a tourist, retirement or marriage visa should be throw out of Thailand. I know of several doing it as I type this. They are bringing farangs into disrepute.

If only you could get a work permit on a retirement visa, elite visa etc...

But why make it easy right? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

Think bigger. It's not about the few thousand USD they would get from me.

If such a visa was introduced and promoted in relevant circles, they would be earning (tens of) millions USD pa. Remote work is a major trend in the workforce these days and is predicted to grow steadily in the next decade.

And being deported would be part of the fun - would most likely be stressful, but an interesting experience to reflect on in a while.

If you have a proper decent money earning business, you would be able to setup a small company while employing a couple of Thais. Secretary, cleaner, admin, .. don't cost that much.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

People should;d obey the law here. If you wish to work apply for a work permit. It is simple and there is no excuse not to comply with the law. Anyone working on a tourist, retirement or marriage visa should be throw out of Thailand. I know of several doing it as I type this. They are bringing farangs into disrepute.

Thats such an ill informed comment. Look up the rules for being eligible for a work permit. If you disagree with it so much then report them.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

I am surprised that so many people agree with you. There are literally 100's in Pattaya. Take a walk down any of the busy soi's and you will see the Farang bars/gogo's with the same person in there every night. He will not have a checkbin, he will be the "manager". No work permit, just getting a small salary to meet and greet and drink with people who come there to see them.

Edited by jimn
  • Thanks 1

If they want to catch people just arrest all those Russian hello girls outside the Russian bars and gogo's on Walking Street. And the Russian dancers inside. I doubt if they have even got visa's let alone a work permit. It makes a mockery of the whole thing. No one touches them though, I wonder why?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'd be surprised how many are, and in the thousands, either no WP or have a an 'agreement and arrangement' with the immigration, seen it in my own eyes...

Are you suggesting immigration accepts bribes??? Lol