2020: Crackdown on tourists working without work permits - 50K fines and deportation awaits

webfact

6 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

As a happy digital professional, working remotely from TH for a few months every year*, I say: come get me!

It really would be a fun experience, something to write about in a few years, plus the maximum fine of 50k isn't a major issue (most likely 5-10k under the table would solve the problem anyway).

[*] on tourist visas, of course. If the indolent authorities came up with a proper visa+work permit scheme for digital professionals (say, 1k usd pa), they would already be a few thousand USD richer.

It's impossible to actually catch digital nomads or digital professionals working in the Kingdom.

Basically you are only using the connectivity available in Thailand but all other transactions don't involve Thailand at all. Some years ago they raided a co-working space known as "Punspace" in Chiang Mai but I think it was a total flop, they discovered the hard way that the digital nomads don't leave anything traceable in the Kingdom. LoL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beggar said:

There are many. Some don't get paid and think this is no problem then. But it is not important if you get money or not. It is important that you do something that could be classified as work. 

So I can't wash the dishes then? Yay!

Just now, Shocked farang said:

It's impossible to actually catch digital nomads or digital professionals working in the Kingdom.

Basically you are only using the connectivity available in Thailand but all other transactions don't involve Thailand at all. Some years ago they raided a co-working space known as "Punspace" in Chiang Mai but I think it was a total flop, they discovered the hard way that the digital nomads don't leave anything traceable in the Kingdom. LoL

Yeah, I remember the raid in Chiang Mai - they didn't seem to understand the concept of co-working.

And you are right about connectivity. Plus I am behind a VPN most of the time, which make is it even more unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Anyone working on a tourist, retirement or marriage visa should be throw out of Thailand.

Ill informed comment. You can work neither on a tourist nor on a retirement visa but you can get a work permit with a marriage visa.

Edited by Momofarang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'd be surprised how many are, and in the thousands, either no WP or have a an 'agreement and arrangement' with the immigration, seen it in my own eyes...

Only on the islands must be hundreds, if not even thousands who do something against the law.

That includes resort owners, wannabe Gurus, Meditation instructors, ( charlatans) tourists who somehow forgot to go back, teachers who believe that they are special and those who think that they give a flying one on Thai, or other counties' laws.

And bar owners who were told that it would be so easy to run a bar here, restaurant owners who're not even allowed to move a glass and others.

2020 must be the year of deported foreigners. Let's wait and see.

What a warm welcome to read this headline.....I'll report my colleagues now who work without a work permit. What's the number again?

I was kidding, even if it's possible that I know some who are somehow illegal, I'd rather like to kill me than to report them to anybody.

Ditch the snitch. 

3 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Ill informed comment. You can work neither on a tourist nor on a retirement visa but you can get a work permit with a marriage visa.

Actually there is nothing stopping you working on a 30 VE entry either, so long as you are in possession of an Urgent Work Permit, which would allow you to temporarily work for up to 15 days, my company has organised many of these for foreigners in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Billpro785 said:

Have a question that relates to this, Is working on your own motor bikes, and vehicles illegal ?  I have a jet ski and dirt bike, and as hobby like to do my own repairs. 

If you fix your own stuff, it's totally legal. Would I rely on a Thai mechanic, I'd be fragged. Don't worry. 

7 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

[*] on tourist visas, of course. If the indolent authorities came up with a proper visa+work permit scheme for digital professionals (say, 1k usd pa), they would already be a few thousand USD richer.

And of course income tax and social security on all earnings (remitted or not) while working ?? 

I mean your not suggesting its 1000 per year in total are you ?? irrespective of income.. 

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Most countries have special category visas for people temporarily working within their borders. Entertainers, sportspeople, businessmen, etc.

I believe Thailand also has these visas.

I think this is about people working illegally while on tourist visas. 

Exactly and of course agencies who represent talent spend huge resources on sorting it all out.. I own and operate a cross border labour supply company and consultancy, people who think this is all just ignored know nothing about the industry or market. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Filipplenoir said:

I think it only applies to those paid by Thai companies. If you sit on the beach and write website codes and get paid from overseas into your foreign bank account then you are invincible

Thats what he thought too 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/aussie-teacher-details-horrific-conditions-inside-thai-detention/news-story/d432a704bf0db1def6d79489ae1b830c?fbclid=IwAR3rDUqWff07cC1I3gUS4qsLnHQCdGahXmiNYTGN-QycVGvCFMdsE3lxyUo