UK Pensions and related info

On 6/6/2021 at 10:46 AM, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you mean I knew when I came to Thailand when my UK pension was due it would be frozen the same as Australia,  New Zealand, Canada, and many other countries.

It was my choice.  

Most did not I  can assure you of this!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fredscats said:

At it again,like a dog with a bone.  Can go back 10 years and the same old story,frozen pit,frozen pensions,...but its how many you succeeded in influencing,hopefully not many, with all the rubbish spouted, and that is all it ever was... rubbish.

Cold comfort,each and every one of you,hoping against hope that the guy with bowler hat comes a'knockin',never will,but please keep on ramping up the doom and gloom stuff entertains ,really it does

Nobody ever  repeat EVER   has ever been apprehended  living here on frozen pension 'cept their own stupidity,can inc NZ  AU SA too,but please concentrate on TH if that suits

Well one day but did post earlier as far as I know none has ever been prosecuted and what do they do every 2 years still use a relatives address in Uk.

39 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Well one day but did post earlier as far as I know none has ever been prosecuted and what do they do every 2 years still use a relatives address in Uk.

Look,a few minutes ago,I stated it was none of your business what I do,what anybody else does for that matter,you chose,keep it at that....but no,keep churning c.rap out

Edited by fredscats

Multiple personal attacks and replies stemming from a person using CAPS have been removed. 

Please do not use caps when posting as your post will be removed, as it is also poor etiquette and hijacks the topic.

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

OK, so where are the enormous sums of money going to come from? All governments are aware of this but of course are keeping quiet about it. 

Please note that I did not disagree with the overall tenet of your post.  I objected to you stating it as a "fact", as it can only be an opinion at present as they may find a "solution".

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

In the future i can see the govt pension being only paid to those who do not have a private one,they have started by calling it a benifit,mind you with the vast amount of illegals coming to Britain that i doubt will ever be removed ,integate or work ,i fear for the young peopled future prospects,by the way i did try to find on the internet about prosecutions for claiming rises while in Thailand could not see any,anyone have found any ,? 

The folk I know who were caught never went to court, they settled it with pensions. Paid back what they wanted and paid the fine, which I think was a 1000 quid. Bit of a story, but my friend got away with the 1000 quid fine.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

The folk I know who were caught never went to court, they settled it with pensions. Paid back what they wanted and paid the fine, which I think was a 1000 quid. Bit of a story, but my friend got away with the 1000 quid fine.. 

So did someone tell on them or did they not have an address in the UK ? 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, transam said:

Could never be settled with pensions,  OAP is non-sanctionable (non punishable)it is impossible ,I tell you impossible... It does state in DWP guidelines,cannot be touched   I think these,whoever they were should immediately approach the DWP and appeal,they surely will receive refund,but if this tale of yours is above board,which obv. is lurid and suspect.must be in the genes

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So did someone tell on them or did they not have an address in the UK ? 

My friend was using his sisters address as she handled all his paperwork, he new nothing about frozen pensions.

He told me about his friend in Patts who got stung, I knew of a guy, dead now, who was on the fiddle and gad to pay up. 

Grassed up, no idea. My friends' problem I believe may have been caused by his sister, but he did not have to pay the 1000 quid because he had had brain surgery which was the main reason his sister did his paperwork.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, dasboot said:

In a phone call to a woman at the International pension centre she told me you can, i didn’t have my invitation code until after i sent the forms in. They took 30 days to get there, this was two months before my birthday, my first payment arrived two months after my birthday, definitely call them and try the invitation code first. As a byline every single single person i spoke to could not have been more helpful.

Had my invitation code ..........

Called earlier this month (from a UK number), they said claiming pension by phone no longer an option (even though website says it is).

My only options were internet or fill out the forms.

Tried the internet claim, web address blocked from people outside the UK.

Loaded up a VPN and claimed from London, done in about 2 minutes.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2021 at 8:03 AM, nong38 said:

When I tried to phone DWP with the 0800 number it would not go through I had to phone the number for overseas and yes the usual 20 minute wait.

Skype UK phone number $22 for 3 months.

Extra charge for outgoing calls (about $10 for 400 minutes), free for incoming calls.

I use it to call my UK bank, DWP, HMRC ....... never any problems, works perfectly. 

Well worth the expense for me to appear to be in London.

VeePN is a free add on for Chrome browser.

Also allows me to appear to be in London, also works with BBC iPlayer but not ITVplayer.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Called earlier this month (from a UK number), they said claiming pension by phone no longer an option (even though website says it is).

Wonder if you got round about getting the annual indexation but did you have to supply your address here and you realise it is  disgustingly frozen!!!

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Extra charge for outgoing calls (about $10 for 400 minutes), free for incoming calls.

I use it to call my UK bank, DWP, HMRC ....... never any problems, works perfectly. 

Also allows me to appear to be in London, also works with BBC iPlayer but not ITVplayer.

So did you give an address in the UK and you realise Thailand pensioners are frozen???

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

So who will be getting the pension rise in april i wonder looks like 3.1% 

Bertbloggs
I certainly won't as  many State pensioners here in Thailand receive a frozen pension  meaning many have had not one penny increase  but there are a fair few who will get it as use an UK address  but what happens every 2 years when proof of still alive, the same.
Not stating you do this but it happens and people playing by the rules do get penalised.
Same as many other issues and the growing minority around the world  have this attitude "I will do what I like" and ongoing for decades.

Edited by jwest10
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Perhaps I'm being cynical but maybe they are trying to make it more inconvenient to claim your state pension until they can clear the huge backlog of unprocessed claims. I claimed my pension by phone (Skype) in mid-August (roughly 3 months before my 66th birthday) and was told that there was currently a delay of about 11 weeks before claims would be processed. Coincidentally, I had received a letter containing my "invitation code" the day before.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Perhaps I'm being cynical but maybe they are trying to make it more inconvenient to claim your state pension until they can clear the huge backlog of unprocessed claims. I claimed my pension by phone (Skype) in mid-August (roughly 3 months before my 66th birthday) and was told that there was currently a delay of about 11 weeks before claims would be processed. Coincidentally, I had received a letter containing my "invitation code" the day before.

Sure, but I received the invitation 3 months before my retirement date, so 11 weeks processing would still be 1 week early.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So who will be getting the pension rise in april i wonder looks like 3.1% 

The House of Lords are kicking off about the increase and there seem to be hope that Sunak will give in and pay out the 8% we will see, they should after raising the National living wage to level that is well above what Pensioners get.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have a phone with 2 sims in it, One has a UK network but runs as TRUE out here, the other sim is Thai with DTAC. I use the DTAC sim to call England just need to put 004 then 44 then the UK number minus the 0 incredibly cheap, 20 minute wait included and under 100 bts.

Not familiar with the Skype phones I thought they had stopped making them! Or how they would show up over in Thailand if calling back to the UK, might be using a local network, well DTAC works for me anyway.

21 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Not stating you do this but it happens and people playing by the rules do get penalised.

I didn't do anything it was the UK tax man that found out where I lived,  not that I was going to defauld went claiming.

I was aware my UK govt pension would be frozen as is my private ones I had taken that into account when I was planning retirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

I have a phone with 2 sims in it, One has a UK network but runs as TRUE out here, the other sim is Thai with DTAC. I use the DTAC sim to call England just need to put 004 then 44 then the UK number minus the 0 incredibly cheap, 20 minute wait included and under 100 bts.

Not familiar with the Skype phones I thought they had stopped making them! Or how they would show up over in Thailand if calling back to the UK, might be using a local network, well DTAC works for me anyway.

I purchased a London landline phone number for my Skype account.

Anyone with caller ID in the UK can see my London landline number, and call me back on that number.

There is a choice of many UK areas in which to base your Skype number.

Skype is an app that I run on my mobile phone.

DTAC/True may well work you, but it doesn't show the person you call that you are phoning from a UK address. Which is the whole point with DWP/HMRC and your UK bank.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1