"Black Snow" - when are the authorities going to do something serious about sugar cane burning?

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

People asked the authorities: "If this was your house what would you do?"

"Not our house, not our ploblem" Krup

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said it was time for proper action to curb the problem. 

We advise our department who will advise the relevant department, who will advise the other department, who will advise the other department, but please don't get off the merry-go-round just yet, because there will be other departments that will need to know, and in the meantime wear a mask and don't light up too many incense at one time, Krup

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Alway demanding action from the government, but too lazy and complacent to take action themselves.

The cane growers are right there, burning, but Thais are too lazy and too scared to voice their opinions and confront the culprits.

Suck it up cowards...

Perhaps if they got groups of people together and blocked the entrances to sugar cane factories around the country, chaining themselves to vehicles, poles, fences, gates etc etc and muscled up enough media and kept the attention focused on this, the government might have to do something, but I can't see that extreme measure happening, although it needs to be done, nationwide to get some action done, after all it's Thailand's 2nd largest export and there are a lot of $'s at stake, me for one, stopped buying sugar ????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Maybe its time they came out of the stone age and used machines to cut the canes, like most civilized countries.

Or rent the machine like many farmers do when harvesting in other countries. 

More expensive, but quicker, less labour needed, better for the environment, and able to grow more crops and  so make more profit 

The corporates can then pass on the increase to the consumer, a win/win which is under everyone's noses, but the government lacks the balls, which tells me someone's getting big brown paper bags annually, or their just plain stupid, but we all know its about turning the heads the other way where the brown paper bags are comign from.

• Like 2

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps if they got groups of people together and blocked the entrances to sugar cane factories around the country, chaining themselves to vehicles, poles, fences, gates etc etc and muscled up enough media and kept the attention focused on this, the government might have to do something, but I can't see that extreme measure happening, although it needs to be done, nationwide to get some action done, after all it's Thailand's 2nd largest export and there are a lot of $'s at stake, me for one, stopped buying sugar ????

Exactly. 

That will send a strong message, not only to the cane growers but also their masters. 

But complaining about (local) government on social media is soo much more convenient isn't it?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

it needs to be done ASEAN wide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

it needs to be done ASEAN wide

Can you explain to me why?

Why aren't the people who have to endure the "black snow" allowed to demand immediate action from their cane grower neighbours until ASEAN gets together and "tackles" the issue?

Cane growers are part of the social fabric of their respective communities. Why can't they be held accountable for their actions?

Why do these issues always have to be dealt with on a macro level, considering the complete lack of effectiveness.

What's stopping a neighbour addressing another neighbour about rubbish burning? Does that need to go to ASEAN as well?

Edited by Bassosa

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Maybe its time they came out of the stone age and used machines to cut the canes, like most civilized countries.

Or rent the machine like many farmers do when harvesting in other countries. 

More expensive, but quicker, less labour needed, better for the environment, and able to grow more crops and  so make more profit 

The only solution is to increase the farm sizes and use the machines. Small one family plots won't be able to afford any tractors.

The question is what to do with the obsolete farmers. They'll be heading down to BKK with pitchforks. I think the current plan is to wait until their genereation dies off. Which means about 20-30 more years of cold smoking the populace of SEA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I remember growing up in country side. I did see somebody burn a field once. I think it was in 1975. 

Why so many cane fields are being burned

There is a haze over Mackay most nights as cane farmers burn off more than usual this crushing season.

It’s a combination of standover cane needing clearing of extraneous material, and to remove debris in canefields brought in by Cyclone Debbie.

Along with the usual vegetation debris, there are canefields polluted with building materials, roofing, drums and in some cases. gas cylinders.

Canegrower Joseph Borg said there was about 500,000 tonnes of standover cane, the crop that was supposed to be harvested last season, but delays and wet weather forced the farmers to keep it in the paddock.

“Because of its nature… being so thick and with so much extraneous matter, it saves fuel for the harvester,” Mr Borg said.

“Everyone is trying to get that standover cane off first so it will be burnt first.”

He said that crop should be done by about mid-September.

But cane will continue to burn all season because of debris in fields thanks to flood events and TC Debbie.

“There is so much debris in the cane,” Mr Borg said.

“It’s a health and safety issue. Imagine if a gas bottle is sitting in the middle of a paddock and you hit it with a harvester,” he said.

“There are also washouts in paddocks. If you burn the cane then at least you can see any obstructions.”

He said the low lying farms will most likely burn before harvest because they were more affected by the water and have more debris.

“It will be more around the south side of Pioneer River close to town, and the Sandy Creek area,” he said.

The cane is burned the night before the harvest, and farmers are permitted to start burning cane after 2pm.

Cane fires are usually short, but intense and burn a large biomass.

There is no real loss or gain in yield, but there is a slight increase in the PRS (Percentage of Recoverable Sugar) which is the standard used for payment from mills.

The decision to burn is made between the harvest operator and the farmers.

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In Civilized countries, they do not burn  the husks of previous crops, the plow them under to put nutrients back in the soil. But the term Civilized does not apply to Thailand, sooooo....

Fertilizer company tell them to burn so they buy Fertilizer 

Speaking as someone who lives in this area, its very concerning to see the number of large areas changing from corn crop to sugar cane.

Locals have said that a plan to build a local sugar cane processing plant was refused, so the guy who refused it was replaced by someone who did accept it and now they are switching to cane.

Outside my home yesterday at 4pm  ...................above the treeline in the distance is supposed to be a mountain range ! 

outside-19120.jpg

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The corporates can then pass on the increase to the consumer, a win/win which is under everyone's noses, but the government lacks the balls, which tells me someone's getting big brown paper bags annually, or their just plain stupid, but we all know its about turning the heads the other way where the brown paper bags are comign from.

Plus the parliamanet is still full of 'elected members' who have one interest only - their pocket and keeping it full by taking bribes from farmers and food etc., conglomerates to keep quiet and do nothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Black Snow" - when are the authorities going to do something serious about sugar cane burning?

Until now I called it "black rain", BLACK SNOW is much better!
Here the cane fields burn in front of the police station and nobody does anything, to remember that burning is absolutely prohibited by law!
I remember last year a Burmese was arrested because he was burning some waste on the roadside!
Sometimes they take a small "arsonist" to make headlines, the great arsonists seem untouchable!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Speaking as someone who lives in this area, its very concerning to see the number of large areas changing from corn crop to sugar cane.

Locals have said that a plan to build a local sugar cane processing plant was refused, so the guy who refused it was replaced by someone who did accept it and now they are switching to cane.

Outside my home yesterday at 4pm  ...................above the treeline in the distance is supposed to be a mountain range ! 

outside-19120.jpg

Here it is called FOG!

• Haha 1