Any Punk Rock In Cm These Days?

nomadspike

right. indie rock is definitely better than the eagles ;o} any tips where i might find indie gigs? read somewhere about a bar called the drunk something???

I haven't noticed any punk rock here...

I think you'll find it's 90% hip hop these days among kids. A small contingent of indie kids exists as well.

I've noticed the Eagles are pretty popular too. :o

What's up Nomad ? I don't know of any clubs but know where some punks hang out. they are kind of eclectic punk, some old school and new stuff, and then some Thai punk too. I've exchanged music with them too - let them have some of my classic Misfits and DK albums from the US. If you go to Warorot market at night - after 8 pm - by turning down Chang Moi right in front of Mike's Burgers, you go all the way down till you hit the nighttime mkt. On your left about half a block past the bank, and b4 the girls selling electronic clocks n radios, you'll see punk /indie girls selling vintage n punk clothing. They sometimes sell on the street, but always have a little opening between the other stalls and opening onto a real shopfront. It looks like a super skinny vintage n 2nd hand store back in the US. Also sells punk stickers etc. they would know. If I get a chance to go by, I'll ask for any info for you.... good idea to go catch a punk show in CM.

Hey RealThaiDeal- thanks for the detailed info, will definitely look for that shop you mentioned and if you do have a chance to go by there pls post any upcoming gigs, etc. i'll be in CM from Sat the 7th til the 17th and would love to catch a punk show while in town. also, i have lots of new cali punk on my laptop as well as lots of old-school US/UK punk if yer interested...

What's up Nomad ? I don't know of any clubs but know where some punks hang out. they are kind of eclectic punk, some old school and new stuff, and then some Thai punk too. I've exchanged music with them too - let them have some of my classic Misfits and DK albums from the US. If you go to Warorot market at night - after 8 pm - by turning down Chang Moi right in front of Mike's Burgers, you go all the way down till you hit the nighttime mkt. On your left about half a block past the bank, and b4 the girls selling electronic clocks n radios, you'll see punk /indie girls selling vintage n punk clothing. They sometimes sell on the street, but always have a little opening between the other stalls and opening onto a real shopfront. It looks like a super skinny vintage n 2nd hand store back in the US. Also sells punk stickers etc. they would know. If I get a chance to go by, I'll ask for any info for you.... good idea to go catch a punk show in CM.

right. indie rock is definitely better than the eagles ;o} any tips where i might find indie gigs? read somewhere about a bar called the drunk something???
I haven't noticed any punk rock here...

I think you'll find it's 90% hip hop these days among kids. A small contingent of indie kids exists as well.

I've noticed the Eagles are pretty popular too. :o

I imagine you're thinking about Drunk Studio, which used to be just off the sliproad that led from the NE corner of the moat to Tesco's/Superhighway. I've got a feeling it closed down or moved or something, but ask around and drive up that way just in case.

A place opened up last year very close to the Huay Kaew/Rin Kham junction, immediately to the right of that ailing mobile phone portion of the Rin Kham market. It was basically just a converted vehicle selling beer, a few chairs laid out and a load of the local punks hanging out....real old skool DIY punk style if i ever saw it. I've not seen it for a while meaning either it's gone or only makes selective appearances.

Max, the dude who used to own Chaos City is still knocking around I believe and could probably point you in the right direction for the current scene. I don't have a number for him but possibly know someone who does. PM if you'd like me to follow up some leads.

Most appreciated. I just PM'd you...

A place opened up last year very close to the Huay Kaew/Rin Kham junction, immediately to the right of that ailing mobile phone portion of the Rin Kham market. It was basically just a converted vehicle selling beer, a few chairs laid out and a load of the local punks hanging out....real old skool DIY punk style if i ever saw it. I've not seen it for a while meaning either it's gone or only makes selective appearances.

Max, the dude who used to own Chaos City is still knocking around I believe and could probably point you in the right direction for the current scene. I don't have a number for him but possibly know someone who does. PM if you'd like me to follow up some leads.

Drunk Studio is still open and running, or at least it was when I was there a few weeks ago.

The house band at Heaven Beach, Nyok, plays spirited indie rock, grunge, post-punk. They also play at Drunk Studio regularly, or at least they did last I was there.

The Tonic Rays play indie rock (White Stripes, Razorlight, Buckcherry, etc, plus the odd Johnny Cash or Dusty Springfield tune, tongue-in-cheek?) and are the only rock band in CM playing their own originals, as far as I can tell. As nomadspike said, the TR are playing at Rasta Art Bar tonight, from 1130p. I was at their show last night and heard they might be playing there through Songkran there as well, more or less 12-15 April.

from their myspace pages:

The Tonic Rays

April, 8 2007 at Rasta Art Bar

Si Phum Rd, old city near Jok Somphet, Chiang Mai,

Cost : free

The Tonic Rays play Sat/Sun nights, 7-8 April 1130pm-1am, at Rasta Art Bar. This is a reincarnation of the once-famous Rasta Cafe in the old city. The newer Rasta Art Bar is on Sri Phum Road, near the mouth of Soi 1, between the NE corner of the moat and Chang Pheuak Gate. Not far from Jok Somphet, the legendary all-night rice congee shop. Live music fans may remember Western Art (and later Butterfly Lounge)--same building.

Thanks sabaijai. Can you please post exactly where Drunk Studio is located (I'm new to CM) as well as Heaven Beach?

cheers!

Drunk Studio is still open and running, or at least it was when I was there a few weeks ago.

The house band at Heaven Beach, Nyok, plays spirited indie rock, grunge, post-punk. They also play at Drunk Studio regularly, or at least they did last I was there.

The Tonic Rays play indie rock (White Stripes, Razorlight, Buckcherry, etc, plus the odd Johnny Cash or Dusty Springfield tune, tongue-in-cheek?) and are the only rock band in CM playing their own originals, as far as I can tell. As nomadspike said, the TR are playing at Rasta Art Bar tonight, from 1130p. I was at their show last night and heard they might be playing there through Songkran there as well, more or less 12-15 April.

The Tonic Rays

The Tonic Rays play Sat/Sun nights, 7-8 April 1130pm-1am, at Rasta Art Bar. This is a reincarnation of the once-famous Rasta Cafe in the old city. The newer Rasta Art Bar is on Sri Phum Road, near the mouth of Soi 1, between the NE corner of the moat and Chang Pheuak Gate. Not far from Jok Somphet, the legendary all-night rice congee shop. Live music fans may remember Western Art (and later Butterfly Lounge)--same building.

Rasta Bar and Heaven Beach are off Ratvithi Road, behind the Irish Pub. Annang in Heaven Beach soemtimes puts on a good show, however dont remember much in the way of Punk knocking about, someone may enlighten me.......

:o

Rasta Bar and Heaven Beach are off Ratvithi Road, behind the Irish Pub. Annang in Heaven Beach soemtimes puts on a good show, however dont remember much in the way of Punk knocking about, someone may enlighten me.......

Rasta Cafe doesn't exist anymore in the Heaven Beach area.

What used to be the Rasta Cafe changed its name to Babylon about a year ago. Then the guys that started the original Rasta split with their partner at Babylon over band-hiring issues, and opened the Rasta Art Bar in a different area, Soi 1, Sri Phum Road, just up from Soi 9, Moon Muang Rd. The Ugly Bugs and The Tonic Rays followed the original owners to the new place.

Can you pls post the location of Drunk Studio? I understand it's somewhere on the superhighway nr Tesco Lotus...but I'm gonna get a tuktuk and want to try and be more precise. Thanks...

What used to be the Rasta Cafe changed its name to Babylon about a year ago. Then the guys that started the original Rasta split with their partner at Babylon over band-hiring issues, and opened the Rasta Art Bar in a different area, Soi 1, Sri Phum Road, just up from Soi 9, Moon Muang Rd. The Ugly Bugs and The Tonic Rays followed the original owners to the new place.

Thanks sabaijai. Can you please post exactly where Drunk Studio is located (I'm new to CM) as well as Heaven Beach?

cheers!

The Tonic Rays

Drunk Studio is near the Khamthiang (sometimes spelled 'Kamtieng') Market just inside the north section of the Superhighway. If you're coming from the old city area, head east along Mani Noparat Rd (runs parallel to the northern moat, on the outside of the moat) till you reach the NE moat corner, then turn left at the light. Follow that road till you reach a 4-way intersection with a traffic light and used car lots on two out of the three corners. Go straight at that intersection and continue towards the Khamthiang Market area, keeping an eye out on your right for a tall yellow, beercan-shaped sign reading DRUNK in large letters. Turn right onto a smaller road that leads to the sign. The Drunk looks like something out of Mad Max, a bar built of wrecked cars and buses and corrugated steel. The Thai owner is trying to sell it so it could change hands any day.

I'm heading to Rasta Art Bar this evening, there will be at least 3 bands playing tonight and probably every night this week.

I was in that area about 9 months ago, didnt even notice tobe honest. I will take alook in the new Rasta Art Bar then!

Good info, Thanks sabaijai :D

Thanks again sabaijai. You seem to be a wealth of information on the CM rock'n'roll scene. I'll be at the Rasta Art Bar this evening as well and it would be a pleasure to meet you. I'll be the guy wearing the black fedora hat with the long sideburns...do say hello.

Spike

cheers!

The Tonic Rays

Drunk Studio is near the Khamthiang (sometimes spelled 'Kamtieng') Market just inside the north section of the Superhighway. If you're coming from the old city area, head east along Mani Noparat Rd (runs parallel to the northern moat, on the outside of the moat) till you reach the NE moat corner, then turn left at the light. Follow that road till you reach a 4-way intersection with a traffic light and used car lots on two out of the three corners. Go straight at that intersection and continue towards the Khamthiang Market area, keeping an eye out on your right for a tall yellow, beercan-shaped sign reading DRUNK in large letters. Turn right onto a smaller road that leads to the sign. The Drunk looks like something out of Mad Max, a bar built of wrecked cars and buses and corrugated steel. The Thai owner is trying to sell it so it could change hands any day.

I'm heading to Rasta Art Bar this evening, there will be at least 3 bands playing tonight and probably every night this week.

...Max, the dude who used to own Chaos City is still knocking around I believe and could probably point you in the right direction for the current scene. I don't have a number for him but possibly know someone who does. PM if you'd like me to follow up some leads...

I think you're referring to Bastard, I haven't seen him for a long time. The owner of Naga Tatoo on Loi Kroh, Ugly, worked with him before and likely knows how to get in touch. I just love the idea that Ugly and Bastard worked side by side. :o The main 'dude' behind Chaos City, imho, was Sophie Ironthorn. She's not around anymore but she was in town last few weeks visiting...

There's a former sandwich & coffee shop turned bar about 1 block south of the Huay Kaew / Canal road junction on the southbound side that has become a punk hangout now. Look for a black sign with a skull and crutches logo.

So, i passed by The Drunk Studio this afternoon - it was closed but it looks as if it's still open - prolly only at night? Anyone know if they have shows on there every night or if they're gonna over Songkran? Seems to be a very cool venue, reminds me of a punk bar i used to go to in San Francisco...

...Max, the dude who used to own Chaos City is still knocking around I believe and could probably point you in the right direction for the current scene. I don't have a number for him but possibly know someone who does. PM if you'd like me to follow up some leads...

I think you're referring to Bastard, I haven't seen him for a long time. The owner of Naga Tatoo on Loi Kroh, Ugly, worked with him before and likely knows how to get in touch. I just love the idea that Ugly and Bastard worked side by side. :o The main 'dude' behind Chaos City, imho, was Sophie Ironthorn. She's not around anymore but she was in town last few weeks visiting...

There's a former sandwich & coffee shop turned bar about 1 block south of the Huay Kaew / Canal road junction on the southbound side that has become a punk hangout now. Look for a black sign with a skull and crutches logo.

The Drunk Studio is still open - I went last night for a few beers and saw two Thai rock bands play. The first was young, decent but not particularly special... they covered a Nirvana tune and a few other indie-rock songs i recognized and the second band wasn't much to my liking...more classic rock style, with a female vocalist who joined in on a few numbers. "I Will Survive" kinda put me off them I gotta admit ;o}

The venue is rocking though! Good sound system, amazing atmosphere/ambience and the creativity and time that must have gone into building and decorating the place...brilliant! Everyone was very friendly, service very good, drank San Miguel beer...

Haven't heard yet of any punk rock shows happening over Songkran...if anyone hears of anything, pls post.

Thanks, Spike

The Drunk Studio is still open - I went last night for a few beers and saw two Thai rock bands play. The first was young, decent but not particularly special... they covered a Nirvana tune and a few other indie-rock songs i recognized and the second band wasn't much to my liking...more classic rock style, with a female vocalist who joined in on a few numbers. "I Will Survive" kinda put me off them I gotta admit ;o}

The venue is rocking though! Good sound system, amazing atmosphere/ambience and the creativity and time that must have gone into building and decorating the place...brilliant! Everyone was very friendly, service very good, drank San Miguel beer...

Haven't heard yet of any punk rock shows happening over Songkran...if anyone hears of anything, pls post.

Thanks, Spike

That's been the problem with the Drunk all along, cool venue with a lack of good bands. Nyok used to play there regularly, seems like you would remember them, good trio (or maybe they were the 1st band you saw).

The Tonic Rays are back at the Rasta Art Bar this coming Fri, Sat and Sun night, 1130p. I hear they may do Drunk Studio as well, and possibly the Brasserie regularly starting soon. Also Boss Artist (the T-Rays minus two, ie, two singers and two guitars, no drums or bass) play most Wed nights 9-10pm at Drunken Flower. I think they're there tonight.