Vientiane

Please tell me..

I have decided to go to Vientiane Laos to get a new tourist visa. I had 60 days, went to immigration office to get 30 more days, did 3 visa runs to Maesai and now I have to go a thai embassy or immigration office or what the name is..

Where is that place in Vientiane?

Is Vientiane a easy place to get a new Visa? ( I was told Cambodia was the worst..)

Can someone recommend a goos place to stay for a capital of days?

Glad for every little piece of information I can get. :o

Please tell me..

I have decided to go to Vientiane Laos to get a new tourist visa. I had 60 days, went to immigration office to get 30 more days, did 3 visa runs to Maesai and now I have to go a thai embassy or immigration office or what the name is..

Is Vientiane a easy place to get a new Visa? ( I was told Cambodia was the worst..)

Tahlin - see my post today (Apr.4) called "Successful Visa Run to Vientiane"

Please tell me..

Easy to get visa - the best plan for me (with some rest and fun part of run) is:

1) thursday evening - going by train or bus (watch out songkran isaan crowd),

2) friday morning - apply for visa

3) friday afternoon - take bus from northern terminal to Vang Vieng,

4) saturday - try tubing and jump from the highest swind u can find - of course drink a lot of Beer Lao,

5) sunday - take a bike and go to Blue Lagoon and some caves around,

6) monday morning - take buss at 7:00am and go to Vientiane,

7) get visa around noon,

8) go to Nong Khai - get bus or train at evening to Bkk

Good luck and have fun..

Great idea, I absolutely love Vientiane, it's such a contrast with Bangkok (which I equalle love by the way).

Anyway to get there from Bangkok, fastest way is to take Air Asia or Nok Air into Udon Thani, take the minibus to the friendship bridge (1 hour, 150 baht) then take the bus that will take you over the bridge (7 minutes, 15 baht) and get your visa, (1500 baht and a photo, or if you don't have those an additional 50 baht) Of course paying with USD is cheaper, since the exchange rate to the baht is very favourable for Laos, it's 35 USD for most nationalities. Then you just take a taxi to either the embassy or to your hotel first (250 baht 25 minutes).

I myself have stayed at the Lao-Paris hotel in thanon Samsenthai, basic rooms with aircon for about 550 baht per night, you are right in the center, close to the river. Another option would be the Khamhoun hotel on Lane Xang avenue, close to Talad Sao (morning market) I got the big family room for 800 baht, but they have cheaper options, it's also not far from the thai embassy, which is past the Patuxai (famous vientiane landmark, which you can't miss from the hotel). But if you plan to stay for several days, I would go to the Lao-paris hotel since it's closer to the temples and river. Do go to the river and get some food along the river, great Lao food at rock bottom prices, and the best beer in South east asia is readily available at around 7000 to 9000 kip :o

My first run to Vientiane was like that. Boring like hel_l - never more !!

It's why I found some more active run - I described above :o Vang Vieng can be both mega-silent near the river or pubs/bars oriented fun. And no prostitutes attacking you around :D Really nice place :D

If have more time - can try Luang Prabang, but for visa run/rest it can be too long.

Edited by Vit77

Great idea, I absolutely love Vientiane, it's such a contrast with Bangkok (which I equalle love by the way).

Anyway to get there from Bangkok, fastest way is to take Air Asia or Nok Air into Udon Thani, take the minibus to the friendship bridge (1 hour, 150 baht) then take the bus that will take you over the bridge (7 minutes, 15 baht) and get your visa, (1500 baht and a photo, or if you don't have those an additional 50 baht) Of course paying with USD is cheaper, since the exchange rate to the baht is very favourable for Laos, it's 35 USD for most nationalities. Then you just take a taxi to either the embassy or to your hotel first (250 baht 25 minutes).

I myself have stayed at the Lao-Paris hotel in thanon Samsenthai, basic rooms with aircon for about 550 baht per night, you are right in the center, close to the river. Another option would be the Khamhoun hotel on Lane Xang avenue, close to Talad Sao (morning market) I got the big family room for 800 baht, but they have cheaper options, it's also not far from the thai embassy, which is past the Patuxai (famous vientiane landmark, which you can't miss from the hotel). But if you plan to stay for several days, I would go to the Lao-paris hotel since it's closer to the temples and river. Do go to the river and get some food along the river, great Lao food at rock bottom prices, and the best beer in South east asia is readily available at around 7000 to 9000 kip :o

Add a couple good eateries here:

--  The Khop Chai Deu Restaurant (http://www.khopchaideu.com/) right next to The Fountain (the Nam Phu) right downtown.

--  The Tex-Mex Restaurant, semi so-so but sort of fun in a place like Vientiane.  Had the fajitas (sp?) last month, not all that great, but a friend had one of the combo platters, filling!  To get there go towards the river from The Fountain, turn right and go one block.

--  French bread everyplace!!  Super, grab some.

Mac

IVS & USAID/Laos, '66-'75

Anoter question then.. Im going from chiang mai to chiang kong with bus, then taking the boat over the river but then what? do i go by boat or bus to vientiene?

and how long does it take?

Anoter question then.. Im going from chiang mai to chiang kong with bus, then taking the boat over the river but then what? do i go by boat or bus to vientiene?

It'd be best to go from Chiangmai to Udonthani - the VIP bus is best if you take the overnight bus and if you want to have any leg room. You might check the prices at airasia.com for a plane from Chiangmai - Bangkok - Udonthani; I don't think it's a lot more expenseive than the VIP bus. If you go over the border at Chiangkhong, (I think the Lao town across the river is Houixay), I think the roads and busses from there to Vientiane are not very good. I've heard it can be done, but it'd probably take a lot longer.

If you cross the border from Chiang Kong to Houaxyai its quite a trip to Vientaine. I dont think you can get a bus south from there and if you can the roads will be appalling so you have to get the boat to Luang Phrabang, 2 days with an overnight stop and then get the bus from LP (8 hours - ish, or stop off at Vang Vieng on the way). Its a good route if you fancy a holiday, I did it in January, PM me if you want more details, but if all you want to do is get the visa you're best getting the bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani and going to Vientiene by bus from there.