COVID-19 making face Masks in high demand nationwide

rooster59

COVID-19 making face Masks in high demand nationwide

Praphorn Praphornkul

59665a0eb7f44fc8b34c7f0157db7aea_small.jpg

THAILAND (NNT) - The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation has resulted in heightened awareness of personal health and led to a shortage of protective masks in the market.

One pharmacy in Khon Kaen province has reported that it receives many requests for masks from customers but has been unable to supply them for over a month now, as only N95 masks designed to filter particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5) remain. Some customers say they went to four different pharmacies looking for appropriate masks.

Another pharmacist pointed out that wariness of COVID-19 has resulted in the high demand for medical masks, which has even deterred factories from promising orders and shipments. One pharmacy has switched to carbon masks, which are chosen as an alternative by some customers, when fabric masks are not available.

Public health volunteers from 26 districts of Ubon Ratchathani province were given training on how to effectively use fabric face masks, and have been tasked with passing on the information to local communities. The training included how to sew a fabric mask for personal use and how to wash them for re-use. Volunteers also gained knowledge on other preventative measures against respiratory illness and were told to remember the need to

"Eat Hot, Use Serving Spoons and Wash Hands".

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-03-01

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

The quandary of the public toilets... 

- go in... do the job... wash hands (possibly sanitser provide too)

- and then cop whatever is on the door handle, when you are walking out

Yes, always a bad moment when you are confronted with a closed toilet door in front of you.

The Japanese have it right with mostly automated sliding doors in restaurants, restaurants, stores etc, see some in Thailand but not many.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can also use alcohol that we purchase from the chemist for around 30 baht per bottle, although not as convenient to use as hand gel when your out and about.

Big C sell a small flat alcohol spray, ideal for pocket or purse, for 29 baht, unfortunately not refillable though.

Unfortunately Big C are always sold out and Boots sell the same thing for 45 baht !!

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, always a bad moment when you are confronted with a closed toilet door in front of you.

The Japanese have it right with mostly automated sliding doors in restaurants, restaurants, stores etc, see some in Thailand but not many.

didn't seem to help the japanese avoid... ????     

I had an upcoming trip to the uk in March so decided to stock up on masks and sanitiser two weeks ago, pretty much sold out everywhere ( Ayutthaya ). Tried all the favourites, Big C , Lotus, Makro, Homepro, Global etc, even the 20 baht shops were out of stock !!

Finally a local pharmacy would sell some of the surgical 3 layer masks, but only a pack of 5, my gf used her “ in yer face “ tactics ( much practised on me ! ) and shamed the young girl into selling us a pack of 50 .

Am i guilty of bulk buying like the rest ??

Probably ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

didn't seem to help the japanese avoid... ????     

Irrespective of the Corona I’m always disappointed to see people coming out of the stalls , in any country, and walking out without washing their hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can also use alcohol that we purchase from the chemist for around 30 baht per bottle, although not as convenient to use as hand gel when your out and about.

I use one of those small mozzy repellent spray bottles refilled with 70% alcohol

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But, if it makes people feel better then up to them.

As political, religious and medical quacks learned a long time ago, there's money to be made by pandering to people's deepest fears. Fox Media is the latest charlatan in that regard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

There are many Doctors recommending not to wear these type masks.

They do not fully cover and seal your mouth and nose.

Also, the virus particles are so small they can seep their way through the basic structure of these inadequate quality masks.

But, if it makes people feel better then up to them.

The virus is 1 micron the face mask 2.5 micron but the Virus is usually transported inside water droplets which are larger not sure what average size is though.
So still a percentage will be captured by a facemask.

Is paranoia a sympton of the alleged new virus? If so, an awful lot of Forum members appear to be infected.

More handwashing and wringing going on here than in Macbeth.

Maybe the mystery virus is really not as deadly as those pushing the panic buttons would have us believe.

https://steemit.com/coronavirus/@corbettreport/coronavirus-the-cures-will-be-worse-than-the-disease

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Is paranoia a sympton of the alleged new virus? If so, an awful lot of Forum members appear to be infected.

More handwashing and wringing going on here than in Macbeth.

Maybe the mystery virus is really not as deadly as those pushing the panic buttons would have us believe.

https://steemit.com/coronavirus/@corbettreport/coronavirus-the-cures-will-be-worse-than-the-disease

Corbett can not even speak properly .I would not be taking advice from him.

14 hours ago, anto said:

Corbett can not even speak properly .

What exactly do you mean "can not even speak properly"?

He strikes me as unusually articulate, as well as highly intelligent and blessed with excellent analytical skills. Most importantly, he references all his information sources for checking.

• Haha 1

Actually how many types of face mask are there?

Which types are effective against virus?

I went around asking a few people and they said pharmacy but I see a few types that people wear.

Edited by EricTh

They are not that difficult to find outside of the big cities.  Big cities living has its pros and its cons.  One of the cons is that city dwellers are significantly more effected by supply chain disruptions leading to scarcity of sought after items.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, monkfish said:

The virus is 1 micron the face mask 2.5 micron but the Virus is usually transported inside water droplets which are larger not sure what average size is though.
So still a percentage will be captured by a facemask.

What does that mean? No face mask is effective or only same types?

On 3/1/2020 at 2:03 AM, keith101 said:

I couldn't find any hand gel where i am and have had to get my step daughter in Bangkok to buy some and send to me .

You could have tried the cheapest local Lao Khao available.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, leeneeds said:

Suppository gloves are available should you not want to touch  anything.

I was shopping yesterday at a Central supermarket in BKK, and for the first time, I saw a Thai woman with her young daughter going around picking out produce wearing rubber surgical gloves (along with wearing a mask).

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

What does that mean? No face mask is effective or only same types?

There are N95 respirator masks (the better kind) and then there are the cheaper everyday paper drugstore masks.

One main feature of the N95 masks is they're designed to form an airtight fit on the face, if worn properly.  The paper drugstore masks are not designed for an airtight fit, and usually have large open gap areas around the edges.

The N95 masks if worn and fitted properly are pretty effective at keeping out both viruses and air pollution PM2.5. The cheap drugstore masks do nothing for blocking air pollution, and really are instead meant to keep a sick person from spreading their germs via open coughing and sneezing, though I guess they're a better choice than wearing nothing if nothing better is available.

Either way, practicing proper and frequent hand cleaning and keeping your distance from others are important other hygiene measures.

4 minutes ago, thequietman said:

On Saturday the US Surgeon General warned people not to buy masks.

https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1233725785283932160

Because he's trying to avoid a shortage by medical workers who they want to preserve the available supplies for...

Instead of suggesting the masks don't work for the general public, I would have had more respect for him and others similar if they had just come out and said..."The truth is, there's a shortage and medical workers who have to treat potential CV cases need them more than you do!"

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was shopping yesterday at a Central supermarket in BKK, and for the first time, I saw a Thai woman with her young daughter going around picking out produce wearing rubber surgical gloves (along with wearing a mask).

I was in Makro and saw a woman picking through the meat with her hands which I often see.