Corona virus insurance

farang1979

TQM Insurance brokers are offering a CoVid-19 insurance policy issued by Bangkok Insurance (50,000 baht cover at premium of 299 baht). The policy has a 14 day initial period for no claims and cannot visit the high risk countries. Available only for Thai citizens and residents (not short term visitors).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No chance with that.

Travel insurance often excludes it and i wouldn't be surprised if health insurance will

actually some companies like April made some annconcment on their website saying that the COVID-19 is covered under the normal policy limitations (ie max benefit etc)

I knew about the TQM policy as some friends have just bought it.

If you have existing health insurance then there is no reason you shouldn't be covered, though they won't pay for a test if you simply want one without symptoms.

If you buy health insurance now there will be a period of between 14 and 30 days when you wont be covered, depending upon the company. I dont know if any insurers are specifically excluding COVID-19 from any new policies.

1 hour ago, farang1979 said:

Could anybody recommend an insurance against corona virus for expats living in Thailand.?

i am with Aetna Insurance. Their office in Hua Hin speaks English. 

not sure what their policy is for new customers. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No chance with that.

Travel insurance often excludes it and i wouldn't be surprised if health insurance will

No, most regular insurance does not exclude it. Mine definitely does not. Travekl policies may.

It would be madness to get a  policy solely for coronavirus, especially given that a good 80% of people with it need no treatment at all. If you lack insurance you should get a comprehsensive policy not one limited to COVID. just check the policy wording to make sure there is not an epidemic exclusion.usually isn't in a non-travel policy.

In the rare event of needing ICU care indeed 50,000 baht is grossly inadequate even if in a government hospital.

Minimum 1 million needed for govt hospital in worst case scenario, 3-5 million for private.

These "corona virus only" policies in my opinion border on a scam, taking advantage of people's fears.

80% of people who get the virus won't require hospitalization at all. Theose that do, will almost always need more cover than these policies provide.

So essentially worthless.

And someone has to explain to me why people with no health insurance are unconcerned about what will happen if they are in an accident, have a heart attack, or have a stroke (among other things, all of them more likely to cause you to be hospitalized than corona) yet fixated on a disease that is usually mild needing no treatment.