Taxi Scam At Suvarnabhumi

tartempion

I have my doubts because of a couple of discrepencies in the story, and because I know Suwannapum pretty well.

Cheers

onzestan

Well I know the place pretty well to, whatever it's called (mine is Savanaboom)

If my son would scan and publish the booth ticket with the drivers license and name and comment where you can complain would that waive your doubts or do you know an other place down one level from Exit C after you picked up your luggage where you can get such a ticket???. The ticket was NOT given to him when he boarded the taxi, and I can confirm this happened a few times to me also, he requested and got the ticket at his destination. Oh you are saying my son does not know how to get one level down?

Well I wonder why I spent my time and effort to relate this incident, I happen to know my son over the last 30 years and he his not bullshitting. It rather appears that some people on this board make it a pleasure to bullshit around. NO this never happened to me, so it's kee kwai. Fine for me, I have no problems to make this my last post and leave this board to a handfull of #ankers.

Oh, I had an incident just yesterday booking a return flight with Nok Air, but I guess it's not worth mentionning, some #ankers will doubt my story.

And btw, I only got scammed 3x times by taxi drivers on 30 arrivals, not worth mentionning, and THIS incident was at the taxi booth, but I doubt there is some thruth in the OP's bullshit.

Cheers

Edited by tartempion

I think the 400 baht flat fare mentioned by the OP may indeed be a brand new scam.

I've got to say that personally, I've never had anything but good service and cooperative drivers from the taxi booth in a number of arrivals at Suvarnabhumi, but a poster on LP TT a few days ago mentioned the 400 baht flat fare as well.

He wasn't an absolute newbie either, so he knew where the correct booth was and how it ought to have gone. In addition, he said the driver refused to use the highway even though the tolls were supposed to have been part of the 400 baht flat fare. When on arrival at his destination he refused to pay the part of the 400 baht that would have been the tolls, he got into one of those shouting battles with the driver that we all dread.

I have my doubts because of a couple of discrepencies in the story, and because I know Suwannapum[1] pretty well.

Cheers

onzestan

[1] Suvarnabhumi

You must know it pretty well if you can't even spell it correctly........

:o

To clear up some confusion:

correct spelling: Suvarnabhumi

pronunciation: Sumannapum or Suwannapoom

havent you noticed the world over taxi drivers are scum of the earth, they take the job because they are lazy b@stards and still try to rip us off at every given opportunity,. i agreed a fare and was driven ( on my own ) to a remote area and told the driver was out of time and had to stop and my journey would continue in another car, it was a 30 year old black toyota crown with a cummins 12 cylinder diesel engine with no air/con, drove all the way to pattaya at 60km ph, never again, ill pay the limousine money every time ,the meter most of the time is an ornament it seems .im fed up with arguing with them lowlifes,.

I've seen taxi drivers first on the scene to assist at many an accident. Watched them give free rides home to women working late for over a month when a rapist was at large, had them serve as unpaid tourist info, giving directions for free to countless tourists in many countries, and god knows how many drunken loudmouth clowns they deal with on a regular shift. I suppose if some barely literate goof jumped in the back seat and started giving me attitude then I might possibly reserve my best service for someone else.

i agree, please do not stereotype. if they were lazy, they wouldn't be driving you around.

before assuming that everywhere on earth is paradise, please be informed of the precautions of a foreign country prior visiting, such as a thread like this.

there are a few bad apples, but surely there isn't a forest full of them. there are the good and bads, unfortunately you've met some of the rotten ones. :o

I have my doubts because of a couple of discrepencies in the story, and because I know Suwannapum pretty well.

Cheers

onzestan

Well I know the place pretty well to, whatever it's called (mine is Savanaboom)

Cheers

I see you are taking offence at me for doubting your son's story.

I have been numerous times through "Suvarnabhumi" airport and before that through Don Muang, and I have NEVER been scammed. Maybe I was lucky, and maybe I was a little bit more carefull than others, but I have never felt the need to exagerate anything that happened to me to make the story a bit more interesting to tell. This I have witnessed thousands of time.

Anyway If I hurt your feelings, I'm truly sorry about that, but you cannot deny me my right to form my own opinions and express them. This is my final say on this story.

Cheers

Onzestan

I have only arrived at the new airport twice. There seems to be a lot more touts there than at the old airport. Avoiding the touts will save you problems. I had no problems either time. Taxi drivers are like anyone else, some good some bad. I'm happy to say that MOST that I have used are good.

Lets not assume that the passengers are all that spiffing either.

At the airport the other day my wife was in the line for a taxi and an American came and stood adjacent-ish to her. "There's a line here" she said indicating the people behind her.

"There's two lines now' he said, before eventually retreating to the back where he should have gone in the first place if he wasn't one of those 'Masters of the Universe' type. She was upset by his rudeness.

So when I read on Thaivisa about all you foul arrivistes who strut around like you own the place, slagging off the Thais, criticising the taxis and generally behaving with a massive (and unwarranted) sense of personal entitlement, I shake my head.

Lets not assume that the passengers are all that spiffing either.

At the airport the other day my wife was in the line for a taxi and an American came and stood adjacent-ish to her. "There's a line here" she said indicating the people behind her.

"There's two lines now' he said, before eventually retreating to the back where he should have gone in the first place if he wasn't one of those 'Masters of the Universe' type. She was upset by his rudeness.

So when I read on Thaivisa about all you foul arrivistes who strut around like you own the place, slagging off the Thais, criticising the taxis and generally behaving with a massive (and unwarranted) sense of personal entitlement, I shake my head.

###### right, and well said.

In my view, it's virtually impossible to be ripped off by taxis at the airport, or anywhere else in Thailand, if you do three simple things:

1) Arm yourself with knowledge of taxi alternatives at the airport.

2) Speak a tiny bit of Thai such as 'mai aow krab' to the touts and 'pai [destination] na krab' to the taxi driver.

3) Be polite.

Sadly, so many oafish farangs get off the plane and turn into supermen in Thailand. Frankly, those people get treated the way the deserve to be treated.

And then, of course, they come bleating here like little kids, hoping for support from their fellow white men.

And then, of course, they come bleating here like little kids, hoping for support from their fellow white men.

:D

I have never had a problem with any taxi driver myself, then again I treat Thai people as equals, I don't look down on them like so many Farangs appear to. :o