driving to border now

My visa is finished at the end of the month so I am looking to do a border bounce asap before any more changes due to the virus. I am based in chiang mai, would you guys recommend Mae Sai or Mae Sot? Both still open now? I have USA passport but i have not been there for over 4 years. 

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would keep an eye on that thread.

oh i see, Mae Sai is open. Its just you have to get a visa to myanmar, no more 500 baht day pass. 

Does anyone know if Mae Sot requires visa??

Edited by at15

How far is the drive? Long way or short?  If long way then dont go til you know it is open. You may need to do a plane trip to and from a non-listed country - see the post about updated Thailand list of 'dangerous' countries.

Maybe ring a Visa run company in area - the ones where people pay and they take you in a van there and back.

And maybe it is now worth paying them as they are sure to have the ability to get you out and back in if it is possible.

Go see a Dr first and get a letter/certificate saying you dont have virus symptoms - that will help.

56 minutes ago, at15 said:

Does anyone know if Mae Sot requires visa??

I don't know it, i just hope that they don't, i'm going there today.

I'm also in Chiang Mai so it will take me a few hours to arrive there.

In a few hours we will have some first hand experience regarding Mae Sot here on Thaivisa from me ????

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know it, i just hope that they don't, i'm going there today.

I'm also in Chiang Mai so it will take me a few hours to arrive there.

In a few hours we will have some first hand experience regarding Mae Sot here on Thaivisa from me ????

awesome man let us know how it goes. I was planning to leave around 1pm. worst case just turn around come home, try again tomorrow with a 10 hr trek to nong khai

Edited by at15

Any info on Mae Sot? Im tempted to head that way. Although if they require an e-visa then I will be stuck there for 3 days as the visa is taking 3 days instead of 24hrs.

Also if anyone is going on a border run, any chance of hitching a ride? 10 hrs on a bike is not fun... but ill do it if i have to.

Oh i forgot to mention that a travel agent friend said that Thailand is closing its borders today. Hence my trepidation making me think that i should leave now for Mae Sot for a border run before it closes...potentially

1 minute ago, sammael said:

I just talked to the Chiang Mai visa run ppl and they said that all the border crossings to Myanmar require an e-visa now. 

I guess to them the Mae Sai crossing is all of them. Ask them how to get a e-visa now? The website for the them only shows 3 airports now.

No reports of the others requiring a visa.

3 minutes ago, sammael said:

I just talked to the Chiang Mai visa run ppl and they said that all the border crossings to Myanmar require an e-visa now. 

ahhhhh . the website took down the land entry locations. how do we get that now?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I guess to them the Mae Sai crossing is all of them. Ask them how to get a e-visa now? The website for the them only shows 3 airports now.

No reports of the others requiring a visa.

is Nong Khai still business as usual for today. I could catch a flight CNX to Udon. 

3 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Directly at the consulate in cm I think.

ok nice, didnt know there was a burma consulate in CM.  i could get that today and go tomorrow 

Edited by at15

i just talked to the chiang mai visa run ppl and mentioned the fact that all the border entry options have been removed from the website and they said its because the borders are now closed. They will be refunding ppl who bought the border run trip from them so i guess its legit. 

i just talked to the chiang mai visa run ppl and mentioned the fact that all the border entry options have been removed from the website and they said its because the borders are now closed. They will be refunding ppl who bought the border run trip from them so i guess its legit. 

ok that solves it for me, im getting outta here and flying to Japan. 

5 minutes ago, sammael said:

Haven’t heard this, unless it is literally minutes old. No doubt we will find out later.

oh wow. ok good luck. If you hear anything, please pass it along

Im considering going to Indonesia. 

haha same thing i was considering. only asian country i can really fly to is indonesia or japan. leaning towards japan.