Non B Visa Problems In Penang!

Hi all,

A friend just got back from a visa trip to Penang, it seems like they can't issue 1 year multiple entry non B visas there anymore! Does anyone know about this new rule? My friend was just after a single entry B, as he doesn't have the workpermit yet, but there were plenty of people who was waiting for their 1 year multiple, but did just get 3 months. they were all told to get the next multiple visa in Bangkok!

regards,

Ban thale

It appears the days of multi entry visas from any Consulate in the region for non residents of the country involved are over for both B and O. If you require a multi entry type visa (such as travel here for business but do not work here) it should be obtained in your home country before you travel. If you work here you should obtain a single entry and then extend your stay with your work permit.

###### I had just made plans to go to Panang in July for another one year multiple entry non-b...

This just gets harder and harder.. The non-b was the last available option for an under 50 person not married / supporting a Thai to live in the kingdom in any way other than on 30 day tourist trips.

Penang and KL will issue a non immigrant visa B multiple entry but you will need atleast need proof that your work permit has been applied for. Normally you will actually need to have the work permit to show. My friend just came back from Penang and got his multiple but without a work permit you will have little chance

Penang and KL will issue a non immigrant visa B multiple entry but you will need atleast need proof that your work permit has been applied for. Normally you will actually need to have the work permit to show. My friend just came back from Penang and got his multiple but without a work permit you will have little chance

From what we hear Jimbo, Penang have stopped issuing multi entry non-immigrant visa's. How long this rule will last, we don't know.

When date did he came back? What date was his multi NON-B issued?

Hi again,

Okay, so does anyone know how and were you can get a 1 year multiple visa now if you have a workpermit?? Sure, you can get it if you travel far outside the country and apply at a consulate, but can you get this visa near or in Thailand still?? Can you get it in Bangkok? Were?

regards,

Ban thale

I go to Kota Bharu next week for a non b. I don't mind a single entry as I don't need to come and go, but how long is it good for? 3 months, or 1 year?

Also, as I understand it you can't get a work permit with out a non b visa, so seems there's a bit of catch 22 going on in penang.

I go to Kota Bharu next week for a non b. I don't mind a single entry as I don't need to come and go, but how long is it good for? 3 months, or 1 year?

Also, as I understand it you can't get a work permit with out a non b visa, so seems there's a bit of catch 22 going on in penang.

Single entry means you will get 90 days when you come into Thailand. That gives you time to obtain work-permit and extend your stay at immigration inside Thailand. If you need to travel you obtain a re entry permit prior to doing so. Don't see any Catch 22. Penang will still issue a visa and you can use that for your work permit/extension of stay.

Single entry means you will get 90 days when you come into Thailand. That gives you time to obtain work-permit and extend your stay at immigration inside Thailand. If you need to travel you obtain a re entry permit prior to doing so. Don't see any Catch 22. Penang will still issue a visa and you can use that for your work permit/extension of stay.

Hi lopburi3,

So you mean that if you have the workpermit, and the B-visa already, you can extend you visa with a new 1 year visa at your local immigration office? Or do you have to go to bangkok to extend?

Until now, we have never been able to extend a visa at our local immigration office, if we don't have the 1 year marrige or business visa!

Regarding the B-visa before or after the workpermit, yes it is a bit of catch22, as the consulates outside Thailand requier that you have a workpermit before you can get a B-visa, but atleast here in Suratthani, the local workpermit office wants to see your B-visa BEFORE you can get a workpermit!?

hope for an answer!

Regards,

Ban thale

Should have Indo-Siam or Sunbelt chime in here as this is their field and they can provide detailed answers. But know Consulates do not require a work permit to issue a visa. The visa comes first, on the basis of a company letter/offer of employment and perhaps other documents. Then you obtain work permit and extend your stay.

Of course you can extend your stay on either B or O visa if you meet the rules. There is not such thing as a one year visa. There is a multi entry non immigrant visa valid for one year from date of issue. It makes no difference if you arrive on that or a single entry visa. You receive 90 days stay. This "stay" can be extended to 365 days inside Thailand by an immigration office (final word from Bangkok but local office can/should take the paperwork).

Should have Indo-Siam or Sunbelt chime in here as this is their field and they can provide detailed answers.  But know Consulates do not require a work permit to issue a visa.  The visa comes first, on the basis of a company letter/offer of employment and perhaps other documents.  Then you obtain work permit and extend your stay.

Of course you can extend your stay on either B or O visa if you meet the rules.  There is not such thing as a one year visa.  There is a multi entry non immigrant visa valid for one year from date of issue.  It makes no difference if you arrive on that or a single entry visa.  You receive 90 days stay.  This "stay" can be extended to 365 days inside Thailand by an immigration office (final word from Bangkok but local office can/should take the paperwork).

Hi again,

No, some consulates just needs to see a workpermit BEFORE you will get your B-visa. I know this, because we at my company have been trying to supply our future staff with paper work to get a B-visa before they arrive in Thailand for a decade now. With Some of the European Thai embassy's we havn't had any problems, but with some, they just refuse to help before they see a workpermit. I know it is wrong, but it doesn't matter, you can't do anything about it! The Swedish Thai ambassy even has it on their homepage as a pre request! We just had a guy arriving from Sweden, and they refused to issue his visa there, yesterday he came back from Penang, he used exactlly the same paper work, and got 90 days B without any problems!

Regarding the 1 year visa, I feel that we talking about diffrent things somehow, (or maybe there is different rules in different changwats). Here at the Suratthani province, we have to choices of 1 year visas. A 1 year multiple B-visa that you have to leave the country with every 90 days (4 times over the border to hadyai = expired). This visa type you have to (until now), get outside thailand, (Penang).

The other 1 year B-visa, is the one I have myself, need to go to my local immigration every 90 days for a stamp and to show up. This last one is only for forigners who are married to a thai citizen, at least in our province! This type we just extend here at our local immigration office, (no need to leave Thailand).

For me personaly there is no problem with the visas as I can extend my visa here localy, I havn't been out of Thailand on 4 years!

The problem comes for our first visa type, (multiple entry, with extension outside Thailand), What I am wondering is, were can my friends that I work with, witch are not married with a Thai but have a workpermit get their new 1 year multiple visa done quickly if not in Penang anymore? Anyone knows?

regards,

Ban thale

If they have a legal work permit they should not need a new visa - they should be able to extend their stay, as you do for your support of Thai wife. People working here in a legal status do not need to travel on visa runs every 90 days.

Are you saying you go to immigration and get a new stamp "extension of stay permitted up to xx xxx xx" every 90 days? What exactly does your current stamp say? Or are you reporting your address every 90 days; as all of us on extensions of stay have to do? Understand your confusion as I am also confused. :o

If they have a legal work permit they should not need a new visa - they should be able to extend their stay, as you do for your support of Thai wife.  People working here in a legal status do not need to travel on visa runs every 90 days.

Are you saying you go to immigration and get a new stamp "extension of stay permitted up to xx xxx xx" every 90 days?  What exactly does your current stamp say?  Or are you reporting your address every 90 days; as all of us on extensions of stay have to do?  Understand your confusion as I am also confused. :o

Now I think we missunderstand each other again. Yes, their workpermits are all legal, but they will still have to travel out every 90 days to nearest border (hadyai), to stamp out and in to Thailand again with a 1year multiple entry B-visa. Directly after this border trip, they have to stamp the workpermit as well at our local workpermit office. Don't ask me why they have to go to the border every 90 days, and not just go to our local Im-office, I do not know, but this is the procedure they have to follow here right now!

What I am grooming about is that it is okay to stamp out and in on the hadyai border every 90 days, but it would be both costfull and heavy if this employee's have to go to Penang instead every 90 days to obtain a new visa, as it seems they can't give anyone more than 90 days. Before we had to go to Penang and get a multiple B 1 year, and after that, we needed to go back every 90 days to the hadyai border. This is why I ask if there is any other place (nearby) that we can do our multiple entry 1 years.

So the 90 days is no visa round, they just have to go over the border, stamp that they have been out, and come back again. It sounds maybe confusing, but this is how we need to do if we are not married at our changwat!

I have a feeling that it works different depending on were you are in Thailand this things. I had a guy working here about a year ago, he had priviously worked in pattaya on a workpermit, he came here with the same 1 year visa as I myself have, but wasn't married! When he started work here with us on his new workpermit, he had to get a new visa, (the same style as I am talking about above, multiple entry, over the border every 90 days!). The immigration told us that he couldn't just extend the old one as it was a illigal visa, as he wasn't married!

I am sorry, regarding my visa I was not clear, it is like you say, I just report that I am still present at my address in Thailand, no stamps, just signing a paper.

It is a kind of hard to explain the situation, and I am not English, but I hope this will put some light on what I'm trying to say!

regards,

Ban thale

This is the current procedure for extension for those in a Representative office if that is their situation:

Application for further stay to work in the regional operation offices

1. Immigration form 7

2. Copy of passport

3. A 4 cm. x 6 cm. photograph

4. A certified document or letter indicating the position of the applicant and other aliens who work in the officer, a reason of hiring the aliens to work in this position

5. A work permit of the alien or a document showing the acceptance of the request for working permission

6. A certified of company limited, Value Added Tax registration (Por Por 20), a list of shareholders, certificate of incorporate from Ministry of Commerce of a permit/license for the alien's business operation

7. Evidence presenting the latest income tax payment of Thai and alien employees (Por Ngor Dor 1). One must present the evidence of income tax payment for individual (Por Ngor Dor 91) of the previous year if applying next year.

8. In case of having dependents (husband/wife, children), the certified document from the applicant accompanied with evidence showing their relationship with the applicant is required. All documents in other languages must be translated into Thai and certified by the embassy or consulate of the alien(s).

9. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

** A regional operation office is a company which is established according to Thai laws to provide administrative, technical, or support services to its subsidiaries in Thailand or other countries.

This is from http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/

You should also check this site at http://www.thaivisa.com/295.0.html

I have one week until I am supposed to go to Penang to get another visa. My round trip plane ticket is already paid. I need a one year multiple entry B visa .

I do have one month before my visa is finished, so I could lose the money that I have invested in a plane ticket already and go somewhere with farangs running the show.

Somewhere that they understand that I have a successful business in Thailand that generates jobs and income for Thais, and that I need a one year multiple entry B visa to keep my work permit. Somewhere like Australia.

Absurd isn't it? :o

Somewhere that they understand that I have a successful business in Thailand that generates jobs and income for Thais, and that I need a one year multiple entry B visa to keep my work permit. Somewhere like Australia.

Absurd isn't it? :o

Huh??? What's wrong with Australia? It's a nice country, they've even got kangaroos there. View it as a cultural experience with the compliments of the Thai government. But you'll pay for it, let's make that clear.

There will come a time when people will prefer to take their families elsewhere but then again, they will not learn...

Dutchy

To George and Dr. PP

My friend came back two weeks ago.

The phuket immigration office organises their own visa runs to Penang. They guarantee that you will receive a multiple entry non immigrant visa B there. He used their service. They also organise border runs in sedan with 3 people to a car.

I had considered using a service in Bangkok that guaranteed the One Year Multiple from Penang -if your paperwork was in order. They brought you there also, like Jimbo's friend's service.

Today they told me that it is now impossible, that the rules changed in June.

It looks like Jimbo's friend slipped in right before the change.

Well, anyone need air cheap tickets to Penang?

Brisbane ho!

More bad news. I just heard that a bunch of 30 day walkers have been denied stamps recently in Mai Sai. However, supposedly, they went over to Nong Kai, and had no problem!

Any idea how that worked exactly? If they were denied re-entry at Mae Sai did they then trek through the jungles of Myanmar and Laos until ariving at the Friendship Bridge and were then granted thirty days at Nong Khai?

I heard it second-hand, but usually when one is denied futher visa extentions, Immigration gives you an extra 3 days to clear up your affairs and get out of the country. I would guess that that is how they made it over to Nong Kai, but I didn't ask.

I also didn't ask whether the 30 day walkers had applied for visas in Laos, or not, but the way the story was told made it sound like they didn't.

If I see the long-term resident who told me, I'll ask some questions. He was on his way to Penang to try to get a new visa, and concerned because of all the problems that some people are having.

More bad news. I just heard that a bunch of 30 day walkers have been denied stamps recently in Mai Sai. However, supposedly, they went over to Nong Kai, and had no problem!

TIT! :o

Georgie, please be more specific. How many, exactly, is "a bunch?"

Which stamps were they denied? Was it exit or entry?

Personally I think your claim is complete rubbish.

Either prove me wrong or stop sacaremongering.

I heard it second-hand, but usually when one is denied futher visa extentions, Immigration gives you an extra 3 days to clear up your affairs and get out of the country.

That would make sense anyway, more so than the group of them rafting down the Mekong River to Nong Khai. :o

If I see the long-term resident who told me, I'll ask some questions. He was on his way to Penang to try to get  a new visa, and concerned because of all the problems that some people are having.

Please do. It would be interesting to know the particulars.

The service I was talking about is run by actual phuket immigration officers. One of them joins the people on the run and I am sure some money is exchanged by that person and their dear friends at the consulate.

Another friend of mine is going next week and just arranged at the patong immigration office to go on the visa run.

It seems that its still happening. Maybe only the ones that will go with the immigration officers can still get the multiple entry.

The service I was talking about is run by actual phuket immigration officers.

Somebody please correct me if I am misremembering this but didn't some officers from immigrations in Phuket get in trouble last fall during the big pre-APEC summit fake passport stamp crackdown? If memory serves, the parties-in-question were offering a handy service whereby your passport supposedly made the trip to the border while you never left the comfy confines of Patong Beach.

That is correct.

To cover their loss of revenue, they are running their own visa runs with foreigners. One of them will go but you have to go with them. As long as you and your passport cross the border at the same time then there is nothing wrong with it.

But is sucks that no one can get the multiple at Penang but those that pay good money to the immigration and join them on their visa run will get it.

The service I was talking about is run by actual phuket immigration officers. One of them joins the people on the run and I am sure some money is exchanged by that person and their dear friends at the consulate.

No doubt. Otherwise, why does one need a Thai immigrations officer to chaperone a trip to Penang? :o