Non B Visa Problems In Penang!

In refrerence to Sweden, Some Consulates in the World require for the purpose of employment in Thailand, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry concerned , this means that the employer of the applicant must first apply ( by Form WP3) for and receive approval for the applicant's employment through the Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, Mit-Maitree Road, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400 - Tel. (662) 617-6578 or 617-6587 / Fax (662) 617-6576, in case of up-country the employer apply through the District Office or the Province Office , Once the approval has been granted, the applicant would then attach this approval to his or her visa application and submit it to the Consulate.

As for why your employees must cross the border every 90 days even though they have a work permit. Either their salary is not the minimum required for that national (ie. Americans 60,000 Baht per month July 10th) or you do not have 4 Thai employees per work permit.

www.sunbeltasia.com

In refrerence to Sweden, Some Consulates in the World require for the purpose of employment in Thailand, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry concerned , this means that the employer of the applicant must first apply ( by Form WP3) for and receive approval for the applicant's employment through the Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, Mit-Maitree Road, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400 - Tel. (662) 617-6578 or 617-6587 / Fax (662) 617-6576, in case of up-country the employer apply through the District Office or the Province Office , Once the approval has been granted, the applicant would then attach  this approval to his or her visa application and submit it to the Consulate.

As for why your employees must cross the border every 90 days even though they have a work permit. Either their salary is not the minimum required for that national (ie. Americans 60,000 Baht per month July 10th) or you do not have 4 Thai employees per work permit. 

www.sunbeltasia.com

Thanks Sunbelt for your exellent answer!!

Regarding the new rules for min.wages, I understand them, and new about them. Now I also now about the rules for some embassys regarding workpermits and B visas! Thanks again for you clear answer! :D

We are a couple of farrangs who work together in a company here, and some of us do not come up to that min. wage, but we all have workpermits, pay taxes and medical insurance. In our trade (not a multimilion company), there is not a lot of people who can earn that kind of money, even through we work quite hard sometimes. We could maybe do that kind of money and even more, if we didn't need to compete with all company's only here in our province, witch don't even have workpermits for their employee's! It is ridicoulus to see that we have so many houndreds of people only here in our province that still works without any workpermits and taxpayments, but it seems they can still continue with that. This people travel in and out on tourist visas, make a living here, and take potentional work from legal people, so what does the Thai goverment do about that? Yes, they make it harder to get a visa for thoose people that have a workpermit and pays tax!? Makes no sence at all, but this is how it is in Thailand today! :o

Glad to help Ban thale.

I feel that it will be harder for companies to compete against you that employ illegal employees.

One thing I've noticed, a LARGE # of companies getting paid a visit by the Taxman in the past month. We strongly advocate paying tax, we do and know if you want to stay in business in Thailand for the longterm, its a must.

www.sunbeltasia.com

When you combine the fact that it seems as though more than 3 30 day visa's will now get a grilling about where there money comes from (must prove overseas input to Thailand) this may work to thin out your competition.

However for the under 50's not married to Thai's who dont work (just spend large amounts of overseas sourced $$) things are getting tougher and tougher !!!

Okay I know someone that went to Penang a few days ago. BUT he had a work permit and thus got a multiple non-imm B. I think they're giving them to WP holders, but not to paperwork only holders...although I've heard even this is possible.

Bar room talk I heard last night was that 15k and travelling down with the Phuket immigration officers gets you one...

Take that with the pinch of salt it deserves as with everything else you get through the grapevine..

I was to be using a service that does the run and does all your paperwork.. 5k for the visa and 5k for the run and one night hotel etc.. They say it still MAY be possible but I need to call back.

Bar room talk I heard last night was that 15k and travelling down with the Phuket immigration officers gets you one...

Take that with the pinch of salt it deserves as with everything else you get through the grapevine..

I was to be using a service that does the run and does all your paperwork.. 5k for the visa and 5k for the run and one night hotel etc.. They say it still MAY be possible but I need to call back.

Are you oblivious to the considerable and far reaching risks attached to using an agent to do a visa run for you ?

The 'agent' merely assists with all paperwork and does the minibus + hotel package...

The same 'agent' does my Ranong visa runs all the time... Arranges the minibus, boat journey, etc... I travel out of the country on his visa run. Whats wrtong with that ??

This would be me travelling with my passport out of Thailand to Panang and going through the whole process... I was under the belief that as long as I personally travel with my passport I am doing nothing wrong !!!

Hi again,

Okay, so does anyone know how and were you can get a 1 year multiple visa now if you have a workpermit?? Sure, you can get it if you travel far outside the country and apply at a consulate, but can you get this visa near or in Thailand still?? Can you get it in Bangkok? Were?

regards,

Ban thale

If you have a Work Permit you do not need a multi-entry visa!

You get your one year extension, based on the Work Permit, and then ask for

a Multiple Re-entry permit, which allows you to come and go as many times as you need, through the year.

The local immigration office will handle it all for you.

No need to go to Bangkok

^ Astral. That's kind of correct but bear in mind some teachers (and other business people without the required $$$$ invested doodah...Indo Siam or Sunbelt Asia mentioned it on a thread a while ago) only get 3 months at a time EVEN if they have a work permit. They don't get the one year extension like most of us do here in BKK and elsewhere. This generally applies to provincial schools and may have a bearing on whether they're certified by the MoE or if the teacher hasn't got a degree!

So yes there are people that do need a multiple entry regardless of the fact that they have a work permit. These people will be unaffected by the clamp down, it's the people who don't have one and just want to get the multiple that are going to be affected. Saying that I'm in touch with an agency (legit help you there one) that thinks they may be able to do it.....LivinLOS would you mind letting me know how you get on....please?

Well my agent today confirmed he cannot assist in getting anything other than the single entry..

So I guess that mean I will need to resort to bribery and graft and see about the 15k 'tour' accompanied by a Phuket immigration official !!!

I find it amazing that a person under 50 not married to a Thai and retired who brings in more than a million baht per year is not welcomed with open arms.

I hate to say this, but I have to admit that I've been totally shocked, over the last 8 months, or so, that anyone with the correct licenses and paperwork could go to Penang and get the correct visa that they needed for the correct price, conveniently.

This flies against everything that I have learned about Thailand over the years, and I am glad that they have put a stop to it.

With thinking like this, Thailand could be a developed country in no time. I wouldn't be able to afford it, and I would have to move somewhere else.

I am glad that things have returned to normal.

Also, what a great excuse to do my visa run to America for almost the same price that I would pay-off someone for the visa that I need here. :o

Just such a shame that the only way to get something done is with an under table payment to a government official... If thats back to normal in your books so be it...

Round trip flights and hotel accomodations plus spending money to USA for 15k (only 5 of which seems to be the under table payment.. 5 for the trip and 5 for the 5 VISA).. I have to meet your travel agent

Yeah I did detect the sarcasm...

It just gets so frustrating as in this thread and others people have continually said.. Whats so tough ? Just obey the laws and get the correct paperwork and visa.

Problem is there is no 'correct' visa for an under 50 retiree who wont marry a Thai.

The phuket immigration office organises their own visa runs to Penang. They guarantee that you will receive a multiple entry non immigrant visa B there. He used their service. They also organise border runs in sedan with 3 people to a car.

AMAZING THAILAND

• 9 months later...
  People working here in a legal status do not need to travel on visa runs every 90 days.

hi lopburi3,

could you please elaborate a bit more on this, I hold a workpermit and have a multiple non-b visa. am not married to a thai, can I still avoid 90 day visa runs and get the 365 day extension at local immigration? and if so how is the procedure and which additional paperwork is needed and how much is the fee?

thanks for info!

Edited by elfe

^ There's a good chance you can extend but it depends on various things like: Company capital, Thai staff, if you're earning the minimum wage etc. So it is possible to hold a WP and still need to do 90 days runs (as Imm won't extend your Visa unless you fulfill (or your employer) does certain obligations as mentioned above). I'm sure Lop or Sunbelt Asia can give you more 'specific' details (although if you search you'll see it's been mentioned before on here).

So it's a kind of yes and no in regards to

eople working here in a legal status do not need to travel on visa runs every 90 days.

You can be working here legally but if you're (for example) a Brit (and not a teacher/journalist) and only earning 30-40K a month (when you should be earning 50K as the minimum wage) you will NOT get an extension to your Visa from Imm...regardless of the fact you hold a WP! and thus will need to do runs every 90 days!

People working here in a legal status do not need to travel on visa runs every 90 days.

hi lopburi3,

could you please elaborate a bit more on this, I hold a workpermit and have a multiple non-b visa. am not married to a thai, can I still avoid 90 day visa runs and get the 365 day extension at local immigration? and if so how is the procedure and which additional paperwork is needed and how much is the fee?

thanks for info!

That quote was in answer as to thinking of why Consulates were not issuing multi entry visas for a period last year rather than by itself as black and white legal or not statement. In most cases it is true but if salary etc is below that required for extension of stay by immigration the person may be able to obtain work permit; but have to do it every 90 days. And the businessman with frequent travel would also be a likely candidate for the multi entry type - which seems to be a little easier to obtain now.

As for what to do you need to ask immigration exactly what they require and file a TM.7 (1,900 baht) to extend your stay. I do not stay on that type of visa so don't have exact list. If you meet the requirements it will make life a lot easier.

Edited by lopburi3

kenkannif and lopburi3 thank you very much for your quick replies! so I will just go to the immigration office with passport and workpermit and ask them about the extension, will that be sufficient documents?

^ Astral. That's kind of correct but bear in mind some teachers (and other business people without the required $$$$ invested doodah...Indo Siam or Sunbelt Asia mentioned it on a thread a while ago) only get 3 months at a time EVEN if they have a work permit. They don't get the one year extension like most of us do here in BKK and elsewhere. This generally applies to provincial schools and may have a bearing on whether they're certified by the MoE or if the teacher hasn't got a degree!

So yes there are people that do need a multiple entry regardless of the fact that they have a work permit. These people will be unaffected by the clamp down, it's the people who don't have one and just want to get the multiple that are going to be affected. Saying that I'm in touch with an agency (legit help you there one) that thinks they may be able to do it.....LivinLOS would you mind letting me know how you get on....please?

I do understand this, but it is a loophole in the regulations!!

The Thais are simply closing the the hole, and not for the first time.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

The Government has made statements about improving standards, expecially in

English, so the change will impact that plan.

It will also impact the income of the Embassies and Consulates.

I do understand this, but it is a loophole in the regulations!!

The Thais are simply closing the the hole, and not for the first time.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

The Government has made statements about improving standards, expecially in

English, so the change will impact that plan.

It will also impact the income of the Embassies and Consulates.

Not a loophole (surely that would imply it's a way of getting out of something?) rather them's is the rules...if anything there should be a loophole to get the 12 month extension.

The only impact I can see on Consulates/Embassies in regards to this is they'll obtain LESS money (as people won't need or be able to get a multiple if they make it easier/harder!).

It's a Labor/Imm thing. Obviously they both have different ideas as to who is kind of 'wanted' here. A lot of teachers in the provinces and scuba divers have to do the 90 day run thing!

What standards are they (saying they're or will) improving in regards to English?

Believe they are going to want to see more than your good looks. I would take everything you have and make a visit. If not enough they can advise you exactly what else is needed. You will need 4x6 photo(s) for the application. As said you can have a work permit but not be able to extend, for example if you income is below requirements for your nationality.

Edited by lopburi3

ok, thanks again. as i only have my passport and workpermit and of course my good looks :o here right now i will try with these first to get a yes or no from them tomorrow. if it's not enough i will try to get the required documents from my company after the holidays and try again. thanks :D

Basically you do need:

1. Application Form T.M. 7

2. photocopy of the passport (main page, visa page, entry stamp page) and the original. Sign all copies by yourself.

3. One 4 x 6 cm. color photo

4. 1900 baht fee.

5. A letter from your company showing the positions of the applicant as well as the position of all foreigners working in the company and for what reasons these aliens included yourself must be employed.

6. Work permit.

7. The alien’s personal tax details as well as company's balance-sheet, profit and loss, entity income tax, Vat records for the past year.

8. Certificate of entity registration, company registration certificate of limited company or commercial registration or VAT registration and list of partnerships.

9. Export companies must submit document of export transactions, i.e. bank or company transactions.

10. The officials reserve the right to require more documentation for further investigation to verify the company’s viability.

These I submit year by year. Procedures takes between 1-3 months until 1 year extension is granted, from the origial date.