Thailand hit by African Horse Sickness, killing over 100 horses

webfact

Thailand hit by African Horse Sickness, killing over 100 horses

horse_22112013.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than 100 horses have died from African Horse Sickness (AHS) in Thailand, government data showed, in the Southeast Asian country's first instance of the illness that only affects animals.

"This disease has just occurred in Thailand. We've never had it in the past," director-general of the Department of Livestock Development, Sorawit Thanito, said on Thursday.

The government has quarantined sick horses to limit the spread of the disease, Sorawit said.

At least 131 horses have died across four provinces, latest government data showed.

"We have to investigate how this virus got to Thailand," he said, adding that the government was notified in late March of AHS in the country.

Horses suffering from the illness can have fevers of over 39 Celsius, difficulty breathing and bleeding in the eyes.

There have been no reported cases of AHS in humans and it was not related to the outbreak of the new coronavirus, Sorawit said.

The World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) suspended Thailand's status as an "AHS Free Country" on March 27.

AHS is endemic in the central tropical regions of Africa, from where it spreads regularly to Southern Africa and occasionally to North Africa, according to the OIE.

Myanmar and Kyrgyzstan had their AHS-free statuses suspended in 2018.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Alex Richardson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-03
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, lozzagee said:

NO Khun Puchaiyank, more likely the zebra, natural carrier of african horse sickeness, imported into horse farm in Pak Chong. Virus spread by biting midges. Will now probably spread all over SE Asia as requires super effort from disciplined industry to control. An animal COVID situation in the making.

Can Covid be transmitted by mosquitos ?

AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?

Hendra  horse Virus ,also thought to be  transmitted via bats, was found in Australia in Queensland about 1995. 70% death rate of horses infected and also 50% death rate of humans who had contact with those animals.             Bats are Protected species in Oz.   ....    You know it makes sense???

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

It was reported in the Thai news some days ago that a Zebra was imported to Korat. That is where the infection started.

Guess who lost a few horses that cost a few million baht! .

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, petedk said:

It was reported in the Thai news some days ago that a Zebra was imported to Korat. That is where the infection started.

Polo anyone?

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. They were probably race horses owned by the Generals and "Hi So's"!!

Exactly. One of them owns a "ranch" out there.

He can fly there in one of his 4 aeroplanes. 

Just search Google 

Edited by petedk
  • Thanks 1

I have removed many off-topic and troll posts from this thread.

If you wish to discuss the effectiveness of masks and the COVID-19 virus, there are plenty of other topics available for you.

If you wish to discuss Thai politics there are likewise plenty of other topics available for you.

There is a horse racing industry in Thailand and most of these horses would be thoroughbred race horses.

Horse racing is one of the only legal forms of gambling in Thailand and its origins are from Europe when the then King visited Europe and first visited horse racing. The first racing club was founded in 1901 "Royal Bangkok Sports Club" followed in 1916 by "Royal Turf Club". Horse racing originally catered for the Thai aristrocrats and the dirty farangs. There were originally 10 race tracks but the one at Maha Sarakham has closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Yep ,it was on Thai tv last week ,the vector are  midge's ,the horse's  where in Pakchon ,as some one on tv said ,why the Zebra was not blood tested before going to Pakchon,Thai DLD,Department of Livestock Development should be responsible  ,but they struggle to restrain a stroppy beef cow ,so for them to restrain a Zebra, na let it go they would have said ,the rest is history .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, natway09 said:

This is why bringing a horse into Australia or NZ has very strict quarantine regulations

& up to 4 months in isolation.

Thailand had what kind ?

I don't think there are any regulations.

I know of a Thai lady that has imported 2 horses, an American guy who imported his dog, and an English lady that imported 2 dogs. No quarantine rules there.

Actually I don't think the USA has quarantine regulations for animals either. My friend went back and took his 2 dogs with him.