Thai & English = Thaiglish

Please can anyone who speaks top Thai people like they are complete idiots stop it.

My wife has said that Thai people that are spoken to in Thaiglish as ill call it, look upon the farang as some sort of idiot.

The farang think that theyre being clever but is all reality theyre making themselves look like complete <deleted>.

Youve now been told straight up

• Haha 2

i agree! a bit of a bug bear of mine. i hate hearing native english speakers mimicking the awful english spoken  by some, usually the less well educated, thais. the native speaker sounds like an idiot and the recipient's english will never improve due to their grammatical errors being reinforced by the native speaker.

speak clearly, slowly and use simple and grammatically correct english, you can adapt your english appropriate to the english level of the recipient.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In other words simplified English, comes from the way Thai works. You basically cut out extra words to make sentences understandable but short (formally incorrect). Is inspired on how Thai language works, that is why many Thais do it. It is called Thinglish by the way. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Ahh, this old nugget. Guess you is the new one? Ain't there more pressing things going on in the world right now? :whistling:

Unlikely a case of 'the farang' trying to be clever; more as to be better perceived thinking the other party, with their lack of vocabulary, would be more easily understood. But, yes, it is extremely cringe-worthy though unlikely stems from any feeling of superiority (as above), so get off your high horse and stop dissing your own in front of the enemy :giggle:, your missus will think less of you.

But I do agree, when speaking to Thais in English (if you must), speak slowly and avoid superfluous tat. Btw, how's your Thai?

Yes, my lord. I shall endeavor to follow your bidding post haste.

As @daveAustin states quite correctly, your English will be adapted to deal with the circumstance. With my direct assistance, whose English is excellent, I speak as I would a native speaker. With my programmers, I adjust to words and phrases I know they are familiar with, as their skills are not as good, and the objective is to get work done. With one programmer, I make an effort to push her English skills when I speak with her, because I know she wants to improve. With the other programmer, I don't bother, because I know he could not care less. When my assistant speaks with me in Thai, I insist on his speaking as he would to any other Thai, to help improve my skills. However, I know that sometimes we adapts because something needs to be communicated "now", and we don't have time for "lessons". Those who are speaking to Thais "like they are idiots", well, that is a completely different issue, and has little to do with language.

39 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of the guy who was sitting with his honey in the restaurant and he found Hamburger on the menu.

Then he was poking on that word and telling his honey: That is where I come from. I am a Hamburger.

She was confused...

(it really happened)

he was her burgermaster then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know, I know, a little bit old:.....................

A Conversation on the Phone of a Bangkok Hotel

Room Service: Morny, rune sore-bees.

Hotel Guest: Oh, sorry. I thought I dialled Room Service.

Room Service: Rye, rye, rune sore bees. Morny, Jewish to odor sunteen?

Hotel Guest: I'd like some bacon and eggs.

Room Service: Ow july then?

Hotel Guest: What?

Room Service: Aches, Ow july then? Pry, boy pooch...?

Hotel Guest: Oh, the eggs! How'd I like them? Sorry. Scrambled please.

Room Service: Ow july thee baycome? Crease?

Hotel Guest: Crisp will be fine.

Room Service: Okay. An santos?

Hotel Guest: What?

Room Service: Santos? July santos?

Hotel Guest: Ugh ... I don't know...I don't think so.

Room Service: No, Judo one toes?

Hotel Guest: Look, I really feel bad about this, but I don't know what "judo-one toes"means. I'm sorry.

Room Service: Toes, toes. Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Eengleesh mopping we bother?

Hotel Guest: English muffin! I've got it. Toast! You were saying toast! Fine. An English muffin will be fine.

Room Service: We bother?

Hotel Guest: No, just put the bother on the side.

Room Service: Wad?

Hotel Guest: I'm sorry. I mean butter. Butter on the side.

Room Service: Copy?

Hotel Guest: I feel terrible about this but.....

Room Service: Copy. Copy, tea, mill ...

Hotel Guest: Coffee! Yes, coffee please. And that's all.

Room Service: One minnie. Ass rune torino-fie, strangle aches, crease baycome, tossy eengleesh mopping we bother honey sigh and copy rye?

Hotel Guest: Whatever you say.

Room Service: Okay. Ten jew berry mud.

Hotel Guest: You're welcome.

• Like 1