How to: From an Elite Visa to a non-O Visa based on marriage

I am in Thailand on an Elite Visa which entitles me to stay until mid-August. As I am now married to a thai national I would therefore like to go for a non-O Visa based on marriage next.

Can someone please write down the exact steps I have to take to make sure I don't miss anything? I couldn't find a topic that covers the steps "from Elite to non-O".

- I understand the money part with the 400'000b
- Do I have to leave the country or can I go to the local immigration and apply based on the Elite Visa directly?

- Do I need to apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of marriage at the local immigration first?

- Do I need to leave the country in August and apply for a new Visa first. If yes, can I do that in one of the neighboring countries?

...little bit confused ????
Thks for the help.

2 hours ago, thaimacky said:

- Do I have to leave the country or can I go to the local immigration and apply based on the Elite Visa directly?

My understanding is that an entry on an Elite visa operates like a glorified tourist entry so far as this situation is concerned. I will bet your local immigration office has never seen this, but the rules allow you to apply to convert your "tourist" entry to a Non O based on marriage.

- Do I need to apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of marriage at the local immigration first?

No. You have that option, but it is not a requirement.

- Do I need to leave the country in August and apply for a new Visa first. If yes, can I do that in one of the neighboring countries?

No, Indeed, it is quite likely that you would still find it difficult to return to Thailand should you do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaimacky said:

I am in Thailand on an Elite Visa which entitles me to stay until mid-August. As I am now married to a thai national I would therefore like to go for a non-O Visa based on marriage next.

When does you elite visa expire?

You have to have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for a one year extension based upon marriage. A Thai elite visa entry is not one.

It might be possible to change to a non immigrant visa entry (category O) near the end of your current but that is a very small might.

You will probably have to leave the country to get a single entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate. Or do a border hop for a visa exempt entry if you qualify one to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

• Like 1

In order to stay long-term in Thailand on a 1-year permission of stay on the basis of a Non Imm O - marriage Visa, you need to go through 2 steps:

1 - Apply for a Non Imm O - marriage Visa either in a neighboring country or at your local IO;

2 - In the last last month of the 90-day permission to stay provided by that Non Imm O - marriage Visa, apply for the 1-year extension of stay on the basis of that Visa.

In case your Elite Visa is considered by IO as sort of a special TouristVisa, you can apply directly at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa.  However, chances are small that IO will allow this (but there is nothing wrong with enquiring at your local IO about the possibility).

If you cannot apply directly at your local IO, you will have no choice but to leave the country.

Having done that you have 3 options:

a) Returning VisaExempt which will provide you with a 30 day permission to stay, and in the last 15 days (some IOs require 21 days) of that permission to stay apply at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa;

b) Apply at a thai consulate/embassy abroad for the 90-day Single Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa;

c) Apply at the thai consulate in Savannakhet, Ho Chi Min City or Penang, for the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa (which will provide you on entry with a 90-day permission to stay).

With that Non Imm O - marriage Visa obtained by option a, b or c, you can then in the last 30 days (some IOs allow 45 days) of the 90-day permission to stay  each of these provided you, apply for the 1-year extension of stay at your local IO based on that Visa.

Edited by Peter Denis

Thks for all the replies.

To ubonjoe: my visa expired already. I came back to Thailand just a couple of days before it ended what gave me another 1 year stamp (until mid-August).

To dode57k: I will come back to this topic here once i am through everything and let you know but it will take a couple of month from now I guess.

I think I will ask at the local immigration if they would allow me to get the marriage visa over my elite visa once the Corona situation is a little bit more relaxed.

32 minutes ago, thaimacky said:

I think I will ask at the local immigration if they would allow me to get the marriage visa over my elite visa once the Corona situation is a little bit more relaxed.

I am sure they will tell you no for changing to a non immigrant visa entry.

Hopefully you will be able to void out your current entry from your Thai Elite visa by leaving the country prior to August to get a non-o visa or a visa exempt entry. I assume you have not gotten a re-entry permit to keep your current one year entry valid.

Have you spoken with the people at Thailand Elite? Maybe they have some suggestions on how to proceed.

Surely you are not the 1st person that has had an “Elite” visa that changed to a non-O Visa when the Elite visa expired.

Edited by srowndedbyh2o

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you have not gotten a re-entry permit to keep your current one year entry valid.

...actually I got a multiple re-entry permit until mid-August which I paid about 3000 Baht for. So I can keep it alive ????

4 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Have you spoken with the people at Thailand Elite? Maybe they have some suggestions on how to proceed.

Surely you are not the 1st person that has had an “Elite” visa that changed to a non-O Visa when the Elite visa expired.

Good idea - I will try this.

Thks.

6 hours ago, thaimacky said:

...actually I got a multiple re-entry permit until mid-August which I paid about 3000 Baht for. So I can keep it alive ????

That complicates doing a border hop for visa exempt entry or getting a non-o visa since you will have enter the country just a few days before re-entry permit expires.

• Like 1

I sent an email to the support of Thailand Elite and received a reply immediately. Unfortunately this didn't help much. The staff member even thought I am in Thailand illegaly because my Elite Visa ended last year in August. After I explained that I am here totally legally he suggested to contact the Immigration...

Anyway, I guess I will go to the local Immigration Office and ask there. Actually I think the lady at the Immigration counter mentioned something in last November (when I bought the multiple re-entry permit) that I could apply directly with my Elite Visa. I didn't think too much by then because I thought was still soooo far away.... hmmm ????

51 minutes ago, DeeMak9 said:

I did this and I had to go abroad for a single entry O , then get an extension here. Obviously thats a little difficult now.

Thanks for sharing your experiance. I can imagine it might be even handled differently depending on the Immigration office.

The stuff member from Thailand Elite just sent me this list below.
Probably it should be inches instead of cms(?) and also I am not sure if one would love to take his baby to the immigration office now... hmmm... I will go to the Immigration and ask first ????

The following documents are required to apply for NON-IMMIGRANT– O visa:

Original passport (Valid for no less than 6 months).

3 passport style pictures of 2×2 cm.

1 copy of house registration of Thai spouse with signature.

1 copy of identity card of Thai spouse with signature.

1 copy of marriage certificate with signature of both husband and wife.

1 copy of birth certificate of any accompanying children.

1 copy of house registration document of any accompanying child.

1 copy of bank statement with signature and a balance of at least 400,000 Baht.

10 pictures of wedding day including with children (size of 4×6 cm).

Foreigner, Thai spouse and any children must be present for the appointment at the immigration office.

Edited by thaimacky

• 2 months later...

Update:

Today I went to the immigration office to ask them: They confirmed I need to leave the country and apply for an non-immigrant O visa in a Thai embassy in order to get the marriage extension here. So, it is not possible to get the marriage extension based on the Elite visa.

12 minutes ago, thaimacky said:

Update:

Today I went to the immigration office to ask them: They confirmed I need to leave the country and apply for an non-immigrant O visa in a Thai embassy in order to get the marriage extension here. So, it is not possible to get the marriage extension based on the Elite visa.

Hi,

I requote the relevant part of my earlier post #5

>> If you cannot apply directly at your local IO, you will have no choice but to leave the country.

Having done that you have 3 options:

a) Returning VisaExempt which will provide you with a 30 day permission to stay, and in the last 15 days (some IOs require 21 days) of that permission to stay apply at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa;

b) Apply at a thai consulate/embassy abroad for the 90-day Single Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa;

c) Apply at the thai consulate in Savannakhet, Ho Chi Min City or Penang, for the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa (which will provide you on entry with a 90-day permission to stay).

>> Your IO only mentions option b) which is indeed simpler than meeting all the requirements when applying in country (option a).  Note that option c) might also be an attractive option for you.