Covid-19 crisis: Talks with mobile phone operators may yield 'totally free' service

webfact

Talks with mobile phone operators may yield 'totally free' service

By THE NATION

800_613d56536c02d35.jpg?v=1587348141

NBTC secretary-general Thakorn Tanthasit

Negotiations with mobile phone operators are nearly complete on measures to help users alleviate their financial burden amid the Covid-19 crisis, National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) secretary-general Thakorn Tanthasit said on his Facebook page on Sunday.

“We have achieved 90 per cent progress in talks with telecom operators,” he said. “The NBTC aims to get a higher discount in service fees as previously discussed [at 10-30 per cent].

“We could be looking at a totally free service with no burden on the government or the NBTC. If everything goes smoothly, this should come into effect on May 1, right after the ‘free’ Internet campaign ends on April 30.”

He was referring to the NBTC-sponsored campaign running from April 10-30, which provides eligible users 10 gigabytes of mobile data free for 30 days.

“The free service will be granted only to Thai nationals; foreigners and juristic persons will not be eligible,” he added. “Please stand by for more details, which should be announced in the next few days.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386384

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-20

My wife (I don't have a phone,dont want one), phones all her friends

for free anyway,on LINE, the other day phoned her cousin in U S A

for 2 + hours on a FACEBOOK app,I don't know what the hell they

talk about.good job it is FREE

regards Worgeordie

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My wife (I don't have a phone,dont want one), phones all her friends

for free anyway,on LINE, the other day phoned her cousin in U S A

for 2 + hours on a FACEBOOK app,I don't know what the hell they

talk about.good job it is FREE

regards Worgeordie

My LINE calls/texts via internet are free but free only if not counting paying 95.23 baht weekly unlimited Internet charge. 

• Like 1

Given that there's only supposed to be a handful of us unclean foreigners left in the country now, it is a bit mean-spirited of them. Never mind, it just means the GF will have to phone me for a change!

Edited by Guderian

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

And here we go once again.

I live here, I work here (legally), I pay taxes here (which includes co-financing the NBTC), I spend my income here (including my monthly mobile phone bills), I'm feeling the financial burden brought on by the Covid-19 crisis just like any local.

So why am I excluded?

Not that I'd care much. But it's the principle. 

Because you were not lucky enough to be born Thai, the Master Race. And anyway, everyone knows that all foreigners are rich and all Thais are poor.

Many times, I've seen promotion people handing out free samples outside malls, and many times I've seen the outstretched arm withdrawn when I approach. Same same. Thais only. One of the delights of choosing to live in a racist country.

Did you know that BTS offers a discount for old folk outside of rush hour, but only if they are Thai? But you'll probably get the Thai smile while they refuse you. MRT though offer it to everyone.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“The free service will be granted only to Thai nationals; foreigners and juristic persons will not be eligible,”

So what are they Presuming that All foreigners and Juristic persons are on the Hi So Level ? There are Millions of Thais that have /get more money than that a lot of Foreigners and Juristic persons that are in Thailand have /get.