No end to UK lockdown but some measures will be eased, says PM Johnson

webfact

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I would argue it is impossible to understand. Unlike Stay Home, Stay Alert is totally subjective. In lieu of clear and unambiguous instructions, it creates all sorts of confusion and contradictions.

Pompous, ignorant prat.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I would argue it is impossible to understand. Unlike Stay Home, Stay Alert is totally subjective. In lieu of clear and unambiguous instructions, it creates all sorts of confusion and contradictions.

I'm afraid RR sometimes we have to use what common sense we are born with, there are many questions that have been unanswered by this government, like if I was walking down the street and my shoe lace came undone, should I stop and tie it and risk the person behind me encroaching into my 2 metre exclusion zone or should I carry on and risk tripping over the loose lace. The government must be held to account over its citizens lack of common sense.

30 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'm afraid RR sometimes we have to use what common sense we are born with, there are many questions that have been unanswered by this government, like if I was walking down the street and my shoe lace came undone, should I stop and tie it and risk the person behind me encroaching into my 2 metre exclusion zone or should I carry on and risk tripping over the loose lace. The government must be held to account over its citizens lack of common sense.

What is it they say, common sense is not as common as you might think?

There is another thread on the World News forum regarding the finding that those in lower skilled jobs are more susceptible to the virus. It's not difficult to envisage a situation where the tacit green light from the government leads to uncaring bosses demanding that their employees return to work in conditions that do not permit observation of safe distancing rules. At a time of great economic uncertainty, those with fewer employment options are less likely to object. 

• Like 1

Boris is leading the way, sure there are finite details to iron out on the plan, but his leadership and the roadmap are actually looking pretty good considering, this is a make decisions as you go situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Having personally suffered the effects of the virus himself, you would think that Boris would have got the idea by now. Too little too late cost lives and now he wants to reopen too soon? On your own head be it Boris.

Timing is good, brave man, solid decision, those who have the intelligence to note this virus could well be floating around for years understand why and where we are heading.

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It's little over 2 months since we were all watching, aghast, at what was unfolding in Italy, almost with incredulity. Now we have surpassed their grim tally and most likely will end up significantly higher still.

Considering we now have the second highest number of deaths in the developed world, what specific aspects of his leadership do you think are worthy of praise? 

Honesty

Courage

Flexibility

Decisive

Empathy

Determination

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, vogie said:

The problem is that we have two opposing factions in the country, one for lockdown and if Boris lifts it he is unresponsable and the other lot who are opposed to the lockdown, and if Boris continues the lockdown, he is a dictator. How can the man possibly win.

He can't , that's why we should support him in these difficult times.  He went through hell already beating the virus.
My impression of him is he is a good politician. Mind you, I am not a Brit so these are only my observations. 

• Like 1

It

46 minutes ago, balo said:

He can't , that's why we should support him in these difficult times.  He went through hell already beating the virus.
My impression of him is he is a good politician. Mind you, I am not a Brit so these are only my observations. 

He wasn't in charge, he was getting advice from scientists and unfortunately they were busy finding women for sex dates on OK Cupid. 

As you do when you're a scientific adviser in charge of millions of people. The importance of Ok Cupid is much underrated.

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Honesty

Courage

Flexibility

Decisive

Empathy

Determination

Apologies - I should have been clearer. What you listed are personal characteristics and, while it's debatable whether any could be applied to Johnson, I was actually hoping that you could give me specific examples of his leadership in these specific circumstances that were pretty good. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Cheap shot Vogie.  This is nothing to do with Brexit or what people voted for with that.  Boris is not the only one screwing up the response to the pandemic but he is PM and therefore ultimately responsible for the poor way it is now being handled.

Certainly not a cheap shot DR, is it a coincidence that Boris Johnsons biggest critics are all europhiles. When you get posters who start their posts "the nasty party" we all know that we're not in for a well balanced and fair post, their hatred of Boris is not what he has said, it is who he is. And I'll say again no matter what Boris or indeed the Tory Party does it will always be the wrong way. It's called political points scoring, many countries are making mistakes on this Covid-19 issue, we are no different, maybe we should have followed North Koreas modus operandi, no deaths there.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Certainly not a cheap shot DR, is it a coincidence that Boris Johnsons biggest critics are all europhiles. When you get posters who start their posts "the nasty party" we all know that we're not in for a well balanced and fair post, their hatred of Boris is not what he has said, it is who he is. And I'll say again no matter what Boris or indeed the Tory Party does it will always be the wrong way. It's called political points scoring, many countries are making mistakes on this Covid-19 issue, we are no different, maybe we should have followed North Koreas modus operandi, no deaths there.

If the posts to which you object are purely politically motivated and specious then it should be quite easy to knock them down.

Rather than sulking about lefties criticising your hero, point out WHY they are wrong. Defeat them with logic and fact! You don't want to come across all snowflake, do you? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If the posts to which you object are purely politically motivated and specious then it should be quite easy to knock them down.

Rather than sulking about lefties criticising your hero, point out WHY they are wrong. Defeat them with logic and fact! You don't want to come across all snowflake, do you? 

First of all Boris Johnson is not my hero, he is infact the man leading the government that the British electorate voted for to lead them for the next 4+ years, it's called democracy, and judging by the opposition it may well be a lot longer than that.

Sorry to disappoint but don't do sulking, but seeing you brought up the snowflakes, it is would be interesting to walk in their shoes for a few hours just to see how the other 48% lives.

It is all too easy to lambast the government all the time, after all it has been happening for the last 4 years, never mind the last 4 months. It is a time to get behind the government not criticise everything they do, and not because you disagree with what they are doing, but because you totally abhor the "nasty party"

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

First of all Boris Johnson is not my hero, he is infact the man leading the government that the British electorate voted for to lead them for the next 4+ years, it's called democracy, and judging by the opposition it may well be a lot longer than that.

Sorry to disappoint but don't do sulking, but seeing you brought up the snowflakes, it is would be interesting to walk in their shoes for a few hours just to see how the other 48% lives.

It is all too easy to lambast the government all the time, after all it has been happening for the last 4 years, never mind the last 4 months. It is a time to get behind the government not criticise everything they do, and not because you disagree with what they are doing, but because you totally abhor the "nasty party"

48%? The Nasty party only got 43% of the electorate supporting them at the GE so you would be walking with the 57% if you were to be a bit more objective in your outlook.

I am afraid I don't agree with this doffing of the hat to my 'betters' and discretely overlooking their past and present errors or deeds. They need to be under the microscope constantly - scrutiny is what keeps them relatively in line. But if you want to go out cheering the NHS on Thursdays, knock yourself out. I doubt you will cheer as loudly as the Nasty Party cheered when they managed to block the move to increase nurses' salaries,. So, sorry, I will continue to criticise when I feel it is due. I will also praise when due - still waiting for that opportunity though. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

48%? The Nasty party only got 43% of the electorate supporting them at the GE so you would be walking with the 57% if you were to be a bit more objective in your outlook.

I am afraid I don't agree with this doffing of the hat to my 'betters' and discretely overlooking their past and present errors or deeds. They need to be under the microscope constantly - scrutiny is what keeps them relatively in line. But if you want to go out cheering the NHS on Thursdays, knock yourself out. I doubt you will cheer as loudly as the Nasty Party cheered when they managed to block the move to increase nurses' salaries,. So, sorry, I will continue to criticise when I feel it is due. I will also praise when due - still waiting for that opportunity though. 

I doubt you will cheer as loudly as the Nasty Party cheered when they managed to block the move to increase nurses' salaries,.

Are we drifting away from the main topic here RR, however the Tories were not cheering because they had blocked a nurses pay rise, they were cheering because they had beaten a bill by Corbyn who was trying to use the NHS as a vote winner. I can't believe you actually didn't know this, but twisting facts is not always the best way to make a point.

"So, it’s worth noting here, that the Conservatives didn’t vote directly against giving nurses a pay rise, as has been suggested by some, but on an amendment which mentioned lifting the cap on pay rises, among other issues."

https://fullfact.org/health/queens-speech-public-sector-pay/

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

I doubt you will cheer as loudly as the Nasty Party cheered when they managed to block the move to increase nurses' salaries,.

Are we drifting away from the main topic here RR, however the Tories were not cheering because they had blocked a nurses pay rise, they were cheering because they had beaten a bill by Corbyn who was trying to use the NHS as a vote winner. I can't believe you actually didn't know this, but twisting facts is not always the best way to make a point.

"So, it’s worth noting here, that the Conservatives didn’t vote directly against giving nurses a pay rise, as has been suggested by some, but on an amendment which mentioned lifting the cap on pay rises, among other issues."

https://fullfact.org/health/queens-speech-public-sector-pay/

It wasn't a bill they defeated but an amendment to the formal response to the queen's speech. The fuller text called for this:

" end cuts to the police and the fire service; commend the response of the emergency services to the recent terrorist attacks and to the Grenfell Tower fire; call on the Government to recruit more police officers and fire-fighters; and further call on the Government to end the public sector pay cap and give the emergency and public services a fair pay rise.”

What's so objectionable about that? Surely any person of decency and morality could agree with all these aspirations? Why did the Nasty Party feel compelled not only to vote it down, but to openly rejoice about successfully doing so? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It wasn't a bill they defeated but an amendment to the formal response to the queen's speech. The fuller text called for this:

" end cuts to the police and the fire service; commend the response of the emergency services to the recent terrorist attacks and to the Grenfell Tower fire; call on the Government to recruit more police officers and fire-fighters; and further call on the Government to end the public sector pay cap and give the emergency and public services a fair pay rise.”

What's so objectionable about that? Surely any person of decency and morality could agree with all these aspirations? Why did the Nasty Party feel compelled not only to vote it down, but to openly rejoice about successfully doing so? 

You don't listen to what people say, you only hear what you want to hear. I have already explained to you, I'm sorry you don't accept facts. I'm done with you

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

English people are so utterly thick and feeble these days. 'Stay alert' is surely not that difficult to understand, but evidently too difficult for many people who seem never to have grown up.

I must be one of those people because I have no idea what the new slogan 'Stay Alert' means in this situation.

We were asked to stay alert during the PIRA bombing campaign and again during Islamist attacks. Alert for suspicious objects and behaviour etc.

What should we be staying alert for now? 

'Stay Safe' is simple and clear; which is why the other three nations of this United Kingdom are sticking to it rather than adopting this nonsense from Number 10.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:
23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Yeah; exactly like Chamberlain was the right man for Britain in 1940!

Pathetic comment.

Why?

We need a Churchill or a Thatcher; Johnson is neither.

7 hours ago, vogie said:

<snip>

When you get posters who start their posts "the nasty party" we all know that we're not in for a well balanced and fair post,

Where are these posts? I don't recall seeing any. Perhaps you'll link to some.

Addendum:

I see that RR has started using it since you first brought it up.

Edited by 7by7

6 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I won't bother going past the first one "Honesty". Sacked from the Times for making up fake quotes.

I didn't realise he was working for the Times through the pandemic, better add 'multi tasking' to the list

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I didn't realise he was working for the Times through the pandemic, better add 'multi tasking' to the list

How about being sacked as Conservative Party Vice Chairman and shadow arts minister after lying to Micheal Howard when he was asked about having an affair with a Spectator journalist? I could go on, the list of Johnson's lies is endless.

• Like 2