Why Can't England Play Cricket?

The only cricket I've seen was the highlights of South africa v England. I quite enjoyed it. England all out 154. SA 155 for only one wicket. What's going on, didn't England invent the game?

Years back my school's cricket team beat Gordonstoun. Our team were all Scottish, who are crap at cricket. The Queen of England's youngest was playing along with other English boys.

Was it just a one off or are England having a bad spell?

The only cricket I've seen was the highlights of South africa v England. I quite enjoyed it. England all out 154. SA 155 for only one wicket. What's going on, didn't England invent the game?

Years back my school's cricket team beat Gordonstoun. Our team were all Scottish, who are crap at cricket. The Queen of England's youngest was playing along with other English boys.

You can't call grown men in pyjamas cricketers. Anyway when did Scotland last set the world alight in any sport, including cricket; curling and spotty tennis players don't count. :o Maybe we should revive the ancient sport of kicking Scottish backsides something that we're historically good at. :D:D:D

As I see it there are 4 problems why the cricket team are pathetic with similar parrallels to the England football team. They are, although not neccessarily in the correct order,

1. Too highly paid with the media hype, domesticall, convincing them that they are prima donnas which, on the world stage, at best, they are only mediocre
  2. Very poor management leadership skills where both on and off the field they should be expected to act as a team rather than drunken louts. Individual team skills yes but using them within the team framework. They seem to have forgotten it is a team game.
  3. Appointing Managers/Coaches who themselves are as per item 1
  4. What do you really expect when you have grown men wearing earings on the playing field !

Edited by gummy

As I see it there are 4 problems why the cricket team are pathetic with similar parrallels to the England football team. They are, although not neccessarily in the correct order,

1. Too highly paid with the media hype, domesticall, convincing them that they are prima donnas which, on the world stage, at best, they are only mediocre
  2. Very poor management leadership skills where both on and off the field they should be expected to act as a team rather than drunken louts. Individual team skills yes but using them within the team framework. They seem to have forgotten it is a team game.
  4. What do you really expect when you have grown men wearing earings on the playing field !

Overhyped yes, Mediocre No. Don't forget they did win the ashes in 2005 and the jim-jam series recently in Aus. Yes they got mullered in the real cricket series against the chain-gang but so does everybody else that tours there. They can play and as a young side should get better. :o

Overhyped yes, Mediocre No. Don't forget they did win the ashes in 2005 and the jim-jam series recently in Aus. Yes they got mullered in the real cricket series against the chain-gang but so does everybody else that tours there. They can play and as a young side should get better. :o

Well they can not get much worse can they. A young side they may be but to behave as nothing but drunken yobs whilst on tour, supposedly representing their country, they are nothing but a national disgrace. Their honours for beating the off-form Australians in 2005 and holding onto them for the shortest time in cricketing history, should be withdrawn. They are a shambolic representation of what a cricket team should be.

Things may improve. Duncan Fletcher is giving a live interview now announcing he has resigned in the teams best interest as coach.

To late

Not much chance of Duncan being re-employed in his native Zimbabwe :o As for England I wouldn't worry too much about their form lately; it's only One day cricket and not too be taken too seriously. :D

Things may improve. Duncan Fletcher is giving a live interview now announcing he has resigned in the teams best interest as coach.

To late

Not much chance of Duncan being re-employed in his native Zimbabwe :o As for England I wouldn't worry too much about their form lately; it's only One day cricket and not too be taken too seriously. :bah:

What about there test cricket form keddy, do you remember the Ashes series 5-0 :D:D:D:D:bah: . They never even looked like winning a game, so when would you start to worry?

:o

To late

Not much chance of Duncan being re-employed in his native Zimbabwe :D As for England I wouldn't worry too much about their form lately; it's only One day cricket and not too be taken too seriously. ;)

What about there test cricket form keddy, do you remember the Ashes series 5-0 :D:D:D:bah::bah: . They never even looked like winning a game, so when would you start to worry?

Well, it was 5-0 yes, but as for 'they never looked like winning a game' I have to disagree with you there as they did look competitive in the 2nd and 3rd tests.Anyway all touring sides struggle over there as I said before. However if they were more experienced it could have been a different story; this winning mentality will come from keeping the squad together and learning from setbacks. So the point is they are a fairly young squad that will develop in time, making a few cock-ups :o but will get better. Knee jerk reactions and wholesale changes will just set the whole process back. So they're not great yet but also they're certainly not mediocre. They are a work in progress with a lot of potential. I would be more worried if I were an Indian or Pakistan supporter. :D

Are the english good at any sport? :o

Below the belt and a cheap remark. Next time make it funny, original or even true. :D

It was a question. Give him a funny answer. :D

This is known as a rhetorical question and therefore no need to be answered directly. Maybe they don't teach those finer points of language on sheep stations. :D

based on subsequent lame attempts at replies, I'd say they seem good at spoilsports.

Actually, Ben Ainsley is a MACHINE; laser champ, finn champ, likely to take over as starting helm for Team New Zealand in the big show America's Cup.

So despite being fairly useless at sailing for mos of the past century, right now UK are mighty good at it.

based on subsequent lame attempts at replies, I'd say they seem good at spoilsports.

Actually, Ben Ainsley is a MACHINE; laser champ, finn champ, likely to take over as starting helm for Team New Zealand in the big show America's Cup.

So despite being fairly useless at sailing for mos of the past century, right now UK are mighty good at it.

great one with Ben Ainsley 'steveromagnino' , I'm I right in remembering he won silver at the Sydney olympics ???. Anyway , heres some more of Englands ( from diffrent sports ) greats at the present moment ( I hope :D ) :

Ronnie O'Sullivan - Snooker.

Anthony Davidson - F1.

Ricky Hatton - Boxing.

Paula Radcliffe - Athletics.

Steven Gerrard - Footbal (had to get that one in :D ).

England rugby union team ( still champions of the world ).

Phil Taylor - Darts. ( darts is still a sport innit ?!?! )

Michael Bisping - U.F.C.

Freddie Flintoff - ( in bad form I know , but still....)

Luke Donald - Golf.

Hope all you English boys can help me out with some more :D:D:bah: .