Thai vets perform mass sterilization as hungry monkeys terrorize tourist city

snoop1130

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

So they are neutralising the monkeys so they cannot breed. Is this not classed as genocide? Why not jump one step and eliminate the living ones?

The sterilization of these macaques is necessary for public safety and health reasons. There are just too many.. I believe the parks department knows the population of this species in Thailand and it can hardly be called genocide.
Genocide:
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.
"a campaign of genocide"
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I can understand the long term benefits, but what about the numbers that are uncontrolled now?

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Now that's a laugh. That ain't going to feed them. 

Whilst they had them why didn't they Exterminate them ,

Then they wouldn't be hungry and harass people. 

Then they could start on the Soi Dogs. Less trouble for the population and safer to walk/ride on the roads footpaths and in front of shops.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Is this a premonition for Pattaya 2021?

As a friend of mine used to say "Too many monkeys, not enough bananas."

Edited by neverere
spelling error.

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Now that's a laugh. That ain't going to feed them. 

Whilst they had them why didn't they Exterminate them ,

Then they wouldn't be hungry and harass people. 

Then they could start on the Soi Dogs. Less trouble for the population and safer to walk/ride on the roads footpaths and in front of shops.

I think you will find that Thailand is a largely Buddhist country. 

I was in lopburi last week and lived there a few years ago working at a school directly across from the monkey temple. Rarely did foreigners feed those monkeys when I lived there. They get their food in bulk dumped at a small shrine just for them. 

My recent trip there I saw no change. There were even some tourists there. None of which were feeding monkeys. In past experience, if you walked around that area with something in your hand, the monkeys swarmed you alarmingly.. If you fed them or had food in your hands, they jumped you and climbed you or pulled at you. Not inductive to a tourist who is visiting and never had so many monkeys wild near them. 

I say all of this because I think the news about these monkeys recently using the lack of tourism is a farce. 

When I was there last week. The monkeys were passive.. Even a little afraid or angry when I walked to closely to them on the street. But they didn't act hungry or seem to have more monkeys from many years ago. There was a ton of food at the shrine as well and not many monkeys eating which makes me believe they had their fill and didn't need more. I did see about one in 20 with newborns being breastfed their milk though. 

16 hours ago, neverere said:

I think you will find that Thailand is a largely Buddhist country. 

Yea ,That's the big problem,Can't kill / euthanize a Poor suffering dying old dog /animal, Or Cleaning up the country that's run a Riot with dirty Flea bitten/ Tick Loaded /Mange riddled Soi Dogs/cats/monkeys/rats. 

But Every one can Drive like a Maniac/shoot/stab/kill People and no worry in the world . ????:wai: