Queasy at the sight of blood

Klong Song

In the past my twenty year old daughter has become light headed when cutting herself and seeing her own blood. A few years ago she fainted and suffered a cut on her chin. She has to sit down if she nicks herself while preparing a meal and now she says that even if the nick does not draw blood she feels woozy. This seems to be more psychological than physical to me and I am wondering where I can take her to be evaluated. I’m in Rangsit but could travel to Bangkok if need be. 

I pass out when I see a syringe with needle . I always try to get vaccinations lying down, because otherwise I will fall. Even seeing it on television is bad, I always try to quickly look the other way.

It is the result of a traumatic experience I had as a child. Your daughter probably has something similar. It's an "Anxiety Disorder".

I once inquired with a doctor. There was a therapy that could help (cognitive behavioral therapy). 10 times to a psychologist. Could be extended with 10 extra sessions if needed.

Because I would have to pay for it myself and there was no guarantee that it would help, I decided to learn to live with it.

Edited by dimitriv

There is a pinned thread on mental health resources. She would have to go to Bangkok and pay out of pocket for this, it is not something government psych services would treat.

Many people with this problem opt just to live with it.

A simple and effective coping strategy is to fix ones gaze steadily  on a point away from the blood and do mental math (e.g. subtract from 100 by 3's backward...or any other mental exercise that fully engages the attention).