Quarantine procedure “Tell your story” post it here !

49 minutes ago, SVC Porter said:

Cheers for the replies chums but......I gave in and decided wild horses wouldn't get me near Thailand for the moment.

This has been a royal <deleted> up for me.  The cost of getting out and sorting out Quarantine was just so much that it wasn't worth the effort. That coupled with the fact that I wouldn't easily be able to hop around SE Asia at will kind of put me off.

Additionally the job I was heading to out there to teach became a complete headache when trying to sort out Visas, COE etc as no one seemed to have the first logical clue as to how it should proceed.

I'm now still here in wet and dull Ireland out of work for a year lol.  One of the conditions of me taking a career break from Teaching here is that I am not permitted to even supply teach in this jurisdiction for the year. No exceptions.

I doubt I'll even head out to Thailand when restrictions are lifted.....Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam yes for sure but this past year has taken the shine of the LOS for me.

Not sure if you know but it's no better in the rest of SEA. Thailand is the only one offering a way back. Vietnam is super easy though, it's a flat no CHANCE as are the rest 

Your in Europe so best option is stay there IMO

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The following is my account of the arrival process and the ASQ hotel.   Previously: CoE applied for (as per the other threads on this topic).  Notification came in from the Thai Embassy

They’re very strict - I’ve been in the ASQ for 3 days - I haven’t even seen anyone since arrival !!! That said, they didn’t check my baggage, so I could have brought in a bottle of whisky if I wa

I want to place your comments in a genuine perspective of someone who has gone through the process and is currently in ASQ, while avoiding resorting to the emotive wording of someone who hasn’t but ha

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, madmen said:

Not sure if you know but it's no better in the rest of SEA. Thailand is the only one offering a way back. Vietnam is super easy though, it's a flat no CHANCE as are the rest 

Your in Europe so best option is stay there IMO

I agree that returning is probably not worthwhile right now, unless you have special reasons for needing to come. Apart from Thailand, it is possible to get into Cambodia, albeit costly.

8 hours ago, phetchy said:

"just steps away from the beach in Pattaya North'''.

"this hotel is a 9-minute walk from the bars and restaurants on Walking Street".

"a short walk from Pattaya Beach"

"15-minute walk from the popular Pattaya Beach on the Gulf of Thailand".

"15-minute walk from Central Festival Pattaya Beach and a 10-minute drive from the nightlife on Walking Street". 

* Walking not allowed 🤣

Edited by ukrules
A light hearted look at Returning to Thailand
Returning to Thailand- Day one in lockdown
Arrived at swampy on time and was met by at least a dozen airport staff, wrapped up in hazmat suits and others in army and airport uniforms, not quite the reception I was expecting and not a wai in sight………remind myself they are at least not carrying cattle prods.
As per my untold previous visits to the Bangkok international airport, I step onto the travellator’s and let myself be whizzed off to immigration and the possible 1 hour queue. Unlike any other of my visits, the place is devoured of tourists but there seem to be hundreds of officials in all manner of protective garb and uniforms pointing you onwards to the light and ultimate freedom, or at least to the unknown digs for the next 15 nights of my chosen ASQ hotel.
Where ever you may cross people that are coming and going, there stand more officials who act as traffic lights, to ensure you do not bump into others, I keep moving forward, to the halls in front of me which are now filled with yet more people in transparent protective clothes, with a myriad of different uniforms, boots and berets.
First stop – sit down and my quarantine documents and the normal landing card are checked, it’s a shame another tree had to lose its life for the process. Stand up and on towards to my first desk of the day, manned by the first looking civilians I have seen, all of which could be smiling that warm Thai smile, but you can’t tell as they are all decked out in face masks, asked one single question and they check my mountain of forms then it’s onto another queue of people.
Off I trudge along to another civilian who checks the forms, one more time for measure before I’m seated once more, all the time surrounded by hordes of staff all waving and in broken English directing people on. I can see the immigration signs in the distance this must be it and I will soon be out into the warm sunshine, I had travelled almost 7,000 miles to see and feel.
We are only here a few minutes and we are off again, crossing and re-crossing other people through the human traffic lights. I finally arrive at the vast and thankfully never seen before, empty immigration hall. Last check of my forms and passport at a desk manned by Thai officials and I am out, no….. False alarm as I am directed to another immigration officer who checks my paperwork for the last time, thankfully and unlike when I left Thailand at the start of the pandemic, I am not asked to place my hand on the fingerprint glass panel.
All done and I am free to get my luggage and board my waiting cab to the hotel, whoops stopped one more time to return my badged that was pinned to my chest as I left the plane, and only changed once during my disembarkation.
The whole experience reminded me of a horror movie regarding a plague of zombies, when you dare not cough or show weakness in fear of being dragged away to your doom, all the while screaming your innocence. A smile comes to my face as I remember the joke, 'that once upon a time you would cough to hide a fart.... now we fart to mask a cough"
You would have thought after almost 20 hours of travelling the next part would be easy, but no the Thai’s have managed to add yet another layer of bureaucracy to the system. Check in takes almost as long as the time at the airport. The receptionist speaking through a face mask and a Perspex screen wants me to do something but I cannot hear her as she is so quietly spoken…oh <deleted> now I have done it, she has lost face and I am doomed, her boss approaches and relays that I need to show her the line app the hotel contacted me on, so long ago.
I now have to hunt through my bags, wait for the phone to crank up and where away, the receptionist adds the hotel app to my phone, I’m given two pages of instructions to read and told that I must follow during my incarceration.
I am then told to choose a meal for later that evening, that does not take long as there are only 3, the guy next to me asks for a vegetarian meal which throws the staff into a panic and I’m asked if in no uncertain terms if I was a vegetarian, to their delight I am not.
You are then handed over to the nurse, who in the open foyer discusses you complete medical history, she goes from there to show you how to conduct your own twice daily temperature check and how to send the results to her via the line app, a quick check of your blood pressure which she tells me is high, I explain that most people would be the same if you had travelled over 20 hours and you had to go through all this before you could get into your room, get out of your clothes and shower, I see her eyes smile and I remember I am back in Thailand where service is a thing that does not exist and I am here to be ‘unseen and not heard’.
I am at last in my room but can’t relax yet, I have to download the COSTE app and input all my info including height, weight and medical history along with passport details, next of kin and other info that I supplied on one of the forms I had given to immigration, all before I take my next temperature check and forward it to the nurse. Good news the internet is lousy and it takes for-ever, to complete and scan the hotel code from my hotels written instructions.
All done and I am ready for a shower and a cup of coffee…….just my luck no kettle, what do I do?
After the front desk has lost face and the story of the guy in Thailand who was locked up for 2 days for writing a bad review, ringing in my mind, I decide to say nothing…I do not want to extend my imprisonment any longer than I have to and as the hotels paperwork mockingly states this is day zero and not even day one yet.

lockdown in Thailand.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, brain1 said:
A light hearted look at Returning to Thailand
Returning to Thailand- Day one in lockdown
Arrived at swampy on time and was met by at least a dozen airport staff, wrapped up in hazmat suits and others in army and airport uniforms, not quite the reception I was expecting and not a wai in sight………remind myself they are at least not carrying cattle prods.
As per my untold previous visits to the Bangkok international airport, I step onto the travellator’s and let myself be whizzed off to immigration and the possible 1 hour queue. Unlike any other of my visits, the place is devoured of tourists but there seem to be hundreds of officials in all manner of protective garb and uniforms pointing you onwards to the light and ultimate freedom, or at least to the unknown digs for the next 15 nights of my chosen ASQ hotel.
Where ever you may cross people that are coming and going, there stand more officials who act as traffic lights, to ensure you do not bump into others, I keep moving forward, to the halls in front of me which are now filled with yet more people in transparent protective clothes, with a myriad of different uniforms, boots and berets.
First stop – sit down and my quarantine documents and the normal landing card are checked, it’s a shame another tree had to lose its life for the process. Stand up and on towards to my first desk of the day, manned by the first looking civilians I have seen, all of which could be smiling that warm Thai smile, but you can’t tell as they are all decked out in face masks, asked one single question and they check my mountain of forms then it’s onto another queue of people.
Off I trudge along to another civilian who checks the forms, one more time for measure before I’m seated once more, all the time surrounded by hordes of staff all waving and in broken English directing people on. I can see the immigration signs in the distance this must be it and I will soon be out into the warm sunshine, I had travelled almost 7,000 miles to see and feel.
We are only here a few minutes and we are off again, crossing and re-crossing other people through the human traffic lights. I finally arrive at the vast and thankfully never seen before, empty immigration hall. Last check of my forms and passport at a desk manned by Thai officials and I am out, no….. False alarm as I am directed to another immigration officer who checks my paperwork for the last time, thankfully and unlike when I left Thailand at the start of the pandemic, I am not asked to place my hand on the fingerprint glass panel.
All done and I am free to get my luggage and board my waiting cab to the hotel, whoops stopped one more time to return my badged that was pinned to my chest as I left the plane, and only changed once during my disembarkation.
The whole experience reminded me of a horror movie regarding a plague of zombies, when you dare not cough or show weakness in fear of being dragged away to your doom, all the while screaming your innocence. A smile comes to my face as I remember the joke, 'that once upon a time you would cough to hide a fart.... now we fart to mask a cough"
You would have thought after almost 20 hours of travelling the next part would be easy, but no the Thai’s have managed to add yet another layer of bureaucracy to the system. Check in takes almost as long as the time at the airport. The receptionist speaking through a face mask and a Perspex screen wants me to do something but I cannot hear her as she is so quietly spoken…oh <deleted> now I have done it, she has lost face and I am doomed, her boss approaches and relays that I need to show her the line app the hotel contacted me on, so long ago.
I now have to hunt through my bags, wait for the phone to crank up and where away, the receptionist adds the hotel app to my phone, I’m given two pages of instructions to read and told that I must follow during my incarceration.
I am then told to choose a meal for later that evening, that does not take long as there are only 3, the guy next to me asks for a vegetarian meal which throws the staff into a panic and I’m asked if in no uncertain terms if I was a vegetarian, to their delight I am not.
You are then handed over to the nurse, who in the open foyer discusses you complete medical history, she goes from there to show you how to conduct your own twice daily temperature check and how to send the results to her via the line app, a quick check of your blood pressure which she tells me is high, I explain that most people would be the same if you had travelled over 20 hours and you had to go through all this before you could get into your room, get out of your clothes and shower, I see her eyes smile and I remember I am back in Thailand where service is a thing that does not exist and I am here to be ‘unseen and not heard’.
I am at last in my room but can’t relax yet, I have to download the COSTE app and input all my info including height, weight and medical history along with passport details, next of kin and other info that I supplied on one of the forms I had given to immigration, all before I take my next temperature check and forward it to the nurse. Good news the internet is lousy and it takes for-ever, to complete and scan the hotel code from my hotels written instructions.
All done and I am ready for a shower and a cup of coffee…….just my luck no kettle, what do I do?
After the front desk has lost face and the story of the guy in Thailand who was locked up for 2 days for writing a bad review, ringing in my mind, I decide to say nothing…I do not want to extend my imprisonment any longer than I have to and as the hotels paperwork mockingly states this is day zero and not even day one yet.

lockdown in Thailand.jpg

Well detailed. I would say that's about the same experience I had so thanks for writing it for me 🙂 I'll just add something below that I wrote in another thread earlier:

Arrival process was very smooth. I would say a much nicer experience than the usual crazy long lines at BKK airport immigration. And besides that, everyone was friendly for a change. Not the usual angry faces haha. 

ASQ has been quite nice for the first 4 days. Balcony with a nice view sure helps. There's plenty of food, so I probably won't be needing all my snacks.

The temperature measurement two times a day is quite a joke. My thermometer in the room shows about 34.5C all the time and nobody seems to mind that – seriously!

The only big issue so far has been the slow internet connection which really sucks when you have to spend 15 days in a hotel room. First it was ok at 50Mbs and now it's constantly below 5Mps so I can't even stream movies and sports at the moment. Complained a few times but I don't think they can fix it so might have to order the fastest possible mobile data package available (sadly in Thailand they are never great either).

Here in my ASQ you get tested on day 5 and out for the first time on day 8. I think that's a but unreasonable compared to many other hotels but that's how it is here. So for now I can just watch all those people walking around the pool with blue plastic bags in their feet for an hour per day haha. Seriously who came up with this crazy idea to have to use plastic bags on your shoes when you walk. At the same time you have Thai's sneaking across the border from Myanmar and nobody can do anything about it, but here we wear plastic bags on our feet above all other crazy things..well mostly it's funny except for the slow internet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1