Virus wipes 25% off auto dealers’ revenue

webfact

Virus wipes 25% off auto dealers’ revenue

By THE NATION

800_92387f935eca9a2.jpg?v=1597763247

The Covid-19 crisis has hit the automobile market hard, wiping around 25 per cent off dealers’ revenue, according to Krungthai Bank’s Compass research centre.

Phacharaphot Nuntramas, the centre’s senior director, said that total auto sales this year would shrink at a high rate, after people’s purchasing power reduced sharply. Total sales this year will be 620,000, a drop of 38.2 per cent from last year, the centre estimates – though that figure could fall as far as 570,000 in the worst-case scenario.

The research centre predicted that sales would reach 1 million in 2021, but if a second wave of coronavirus spreads in Thailand, the market would take around two to five years to recover.

Kanit Umsakul, a Krungthai Compass analyst, added that revenue of auto dealers would fall by 25 per cent, causing the sector to shrink 4.8 per cent against its normal 1 to 1.2 per cent growth.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393162

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-19

Might be time for an upgrade, one of those Hyundai vans should be just right for the 6 of us, although I would imagine the 25% hit would also reflect on the sale of my second hand vehicle.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Good - because Thailand has an excess of car ownership having 548 vehicles per 1,000, one of the highest in Asia, and most just being dirty diesel or poorly tuned petrol.  A few years of fewer cars, and a change to electric, wont hurt anyone other than the top tier of wealthy that own the fuel and car businesses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the wrong thread for this but are new low end motorbikes such as Honda Wave or Click usually negotiable or do they sell off the price list?  Was also thinking of buying used from a dealer as they would handle all the paperwork.    If I were to buy privately, are there places that handle the paperwork for a small fee or would I need to go to a government office? 

2 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Good - because Thailand has an excess of car ownership having 548 vehicles per 1,000, one of the highest in Asia, and most just being dirty diesel or poorly tuned petrol.  A few years of fewer cars, and a change to electric, wont hurt anyone other than the top tier of wealthy that own the fuel and car businesses. 

And auto parts manufacturers.

Its past time to go electric, but few choices in Thailand 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Wait for the 100,000k discount if owned for 3 years...worked last time...most dealers are now offering zero deposit, payments over 7 years

I waited 2 months for  my New Rocco , Toyota played gAmes , offered 0 % changed to 1.5 , 3 month no pay , took that away and 95,000 off was for last years model , the girl said they sell 500 cars a month now down to 200 but deals are scams , just walk away 

3 hours ago, perconrad said:

The time has already come, I just bought a 2. hand Honda Jazz with 31.000 km on the clock for THB 300.000 only 2 years and 3 month old. Half price from new.

Where did you get those? I am looking for a Toyota Altis 1.8 "V" 2017 or younger with less than 50K KM but the prices are still very high.

3 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Where did you get those? I am looking for a Toyota Altis 1.8 "V" 2017 or younger with less than 50K KM but the prices are still very high.

I was looking for a small 2. hand pick up a Nissan Nv on FB. I'm getting older and taking the dog out for exercise on the Click is getting more dangerous. Then I saw the Jazz advertised on FB the owner needed fast cash. There are more groups on FB where you can see cars for sale. And now I have to learn my dog to sit in a car until now she don't like it in the Fortuner.

And for those who says that the yellow housebook and the pink Thai ID card are of no use I can inform that that the only ID for me that the Landtransport office wanted was my pink Thai ID card.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

you think anyone in power will start to think, why the hell did we kill the economy for 58 dead?

30 billon baht of revenue lost per dead covid patient

Yeah...instead they could be thinking..."we killed the economy and still have 170,000 dead and counting"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, perconrad said:

I'm getting older and taking the dog out for exercise on the Click is getting more dangerous.

I would have thought the dog would get more exercise if he walked instead of taking the bike...

16 minutes ago, tonray said:

I would have thought the dog would get more exercise if he walked instead of taking the bike...

Here where I live there are many dogs running around, so I can't walk with the dog in the neighbourhood it gets attacked all the time I have to drive a couple of kms out to the jungle, lakes, klongs and rice fields where we together spend time walking and running at least 5 km, that's me the dog Goldie a Golden Retriever get at least 10 km.

Edited by perconrad
Spelling error
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

If you sell do it private. 2 years ago my 5 year old Everest 3.4 4x4 I was offered 250,000 from a dealer who was selling an older les spec model for a million. The lowest of the low, parasites.  I sold private for 650,000baht which I still thought low but was leaving Thailand.

Yeh know how dealers work, brother was one for many years, but a good one, rare, but fair.