Need Eyeglasses Now

Dustoff

~

My glasses were broken when I was run over by a bus and I need to have a pair cut before I leave for two months on this coming Monday.

I tried many places in Airport Plaza, even Tokyo where I obtained a prescription, and even called RAM Hospital but everyone seems to order them from Bangkok and I just don't have the time to wait.

Do any of you know a major eyeglass place that actually cuts even specialty lenses here in CM?

Help a blind man out here, willya? :o

~

My glasses were broken when I was run over by a bus and I need to have a pair cut before I leave for two months on this coming Monday.

I tried many places in Airport Plaza, even Tokyo where I obtained a prescription, and even called RAM Hospital but everyone seems to order them from Bangkok and I just don't have the time to wait.

Do any of you know a major eyeglass place that actually cuts even specialty lenses here in CM?

Help a blind man out here, willya? :o

The only place I know of that cuts there own glasses is located a couple of doors down from the UN Irish Pub. I got some glasses there a few years ago and thought they were good and fast... Sorry, can't remember the name of the place...

The only place I know of that cuts there own glasses is located a couple of doors down from the UN Irish Pub. I got some glasses there a few years ago and thought they were good and fast... Sorry, can't remember the name of the place...

Believe that may be the same place I use. About a hundred meters on the right hand side of Ratchawiti road just off Moon Muang heading east. Usually 1 or two hours service and well equipped, prices reasonable also. Been using his place for a few years now.

Just realized you mentioned specialty lenses. If it is something like lineless bifocals, then will probably be sent to Bangkok also.

Edited by Tywais

Believe that may be the same place I use. About a hundred meters on the right hand side of Ratchawiti road just off Moon Muang heading east. Usually 1 or two hours service and well equipped, prices reasonable also. Been using his place for a few years now.

Just realized you mentioned specialty lenses. If it is something like lineless bifocals, then will probably be sent to Bangkok also.

My place is West off of Moon muang...

Thanks Ajarn/Tywais. And assuming you mean heading west, I am there tomorrow.

I was at Tokyo without my translator/wife but I did not ask for anything special, they just began by saying one week right after the exam - and no, I am not really blind, in fact the corrections are not outrageous by any means. It could be that Tokyo has seriously limited their services which would make sense as their overhead for that unit has to be very expensive and I rarely ever see anyone in there.

Will try the place on Ratchawiti and settle for a basic pair until I return.

Thanks again!

~

Okay, I have been getting pm's and should explain something.

There was no bus.

I just figger'd it was better than admitting that my wife punched me out. :o

For not knowing East from West...

Edited by Dustoff

Dude, I got so stressed out about the very CONCEPT of your wife punching you (in jest I know, and I have met you, you are a very cool guy) that I whipped off my glasses, slapped them down, and they broke, big time. Wearing the 3 yr old script glasses now....LOL...can't see s..t. Let me know where you get a good eye exam/script, and good deal on frames/lenses. I used to go to a private OP in US for the exam, then take the script to Costco for frame lenses, etc. They had brand name (as well as their private label) frames from $80-200.

For lenses, polycarb, w/ UV, anti-reflective, gradient tint, progressives (lineless bifocal) about $100. Total price out the door for new frames, with progressives with all the bells and whistles, about $200. Let me know what you find out...

Edited by mcgriffith

My favorite shop for eyeglasses is the one almost right beside Art Cafe on Thapae Road (I think there might be one shop between them).

Many years ago, when I had to get my first glasses, I got ripped off by one place who sold me lenses that were all scratched up in one month and a bunch of other places tried to cheat me by not providing the correct lenses that I had asked for. The lady in the shop almost right beside Art Cafe on Thapae Road showed me the color code for Hoya lenses so I would know what I was REALLY buying. In short, she was the only shop out of many that didn't try to cheat me.

I've been going there ever sense!

Top Charoen is my favorite, they have 1800 outlets, the one in Central Mall on Huay Kaew grinds my on premises in an hour.

Definitely bargain. I paid 400 paid for my last pair of lenses to read, took them an hour to grind them. Not sure all locations can grind themselves.

I use a small place in Central plaze (Kad Suan Keow). Third floor up the escilators to the left tucked in beside central a small place with a big sign saying 690 baht. Includes frame, glass and tinting and will do an eye text. Takes one hour and he speaks English.

I have special concerns, being permanently blind on one side, and I go annually to an ophthalmologist (put that in your spellcheck!), an MD who is an eye surgeon. Went into my favorite CMai clinic at Suan Dok, got immediate appointment upstairs on 13th floor, got my script after an internal exam by a speciality physician, and after fairly exhaustive lens fitting (all in English) - 500 baht.

Then we went to Tokyo Optical at Kad Suan Kaew (yes, high rent) and the lenses had to be ordered from somewhere, and I picked them up 50 hours later.

I don't trust opticians or what we call optometrists to find a cataract and be able to tell me when I'll need surgery. Get a medical doctor, at least every two years (every year if you only see one side, every zero years if you're already blind).

~

My experience this morning was not what I had envisioned - but then I have faulty vision.. :o

I zipped around to several of the above recommended shops and all of them immediately said, "Order from Bangkok". It turns out that I have an astigmatism and nobody has the ability to cut the correction here in CM. Many, many years ago whole blowing on a campfire on the coast of the Saraha in Morocco, a hot coal shot into the center of my left eye and welded itself to the cornea and eyelids. While the eye miraculously healed, especially considering that I had to surgically remove it myself by candlelight, it apparently left an impression.

The last place I tried was Top Charoen (which means charred eye in Moroccan) Optical at Central Huay Kaew and they have promised to have my glasses here by late Sunday afternoon. I leave for the airport mid-morning Monday...

I am likely stupid but I paid in advance and will take my chances. Frames 2800B (buy one, get one free), total 6800B, sorry no tint sir, sorry no non-reflective sir, sorry no, no, no. For my Baht I get clear standard progressive lenses and that is it.

By the way, Tokyo Optical in Airport Plaza has the most incredibly advanced diagnostic equipment I have ever imagined and issue a written prescription for 300B. I will take mine with me to the US and see what Costco or some other discount place has to offer but at least these will get me through in the meantime.

Thanks SO much for all the recommedations! You haole da Kine!

Dustoff

• 1 month later...
Does Tokyo Optical have fair prices for lenses and frames?

Coming back to this question. For special lenses (progressives), does anyone know which of the larger companies provides the best value (quality for the cost)? I'm in no hurry. Dustoff paid B 6800 from Top Charoen, not cheap but better than US/UK prices. Any comments?

I have had several pair of glasses from the place just east of and on the same side as the Irish Pub.

I use progressive fast photochromatic lenses in a good frame. I don't waste my time on rubbish. My current specs are in Lacoste titanium frames and the previous ones were in Rodenstock titanium frames. You won't get these lenses ground in Chiangmai. Frames and lens will set you back between 15,000 - 17,500 baht but they are quality not <deleted>.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. You can eat steak or settle for the noodles. Laew theer khun.

Does Tokyo Optical have fair prices for lenses and frames?

Coming back to this question. For special lenses (progressives), does anyone know which of the larger companies provides the best value (quality for the cost)? I'm in no hurry. Dustoff paid B 6800 from Top Charoen, not cheap but better than US/UK prices. Any comments?

Just to update my info about Top Charoen:

I have been on the road in the US for almost two months now and will be returning my glasses to Top Cheroen for replacement when we get back later this week. I tried for well over a month to get used to them but they are WAY too strong; make me trip on stairs, get dizzy, etc..

I finally went to a LensCrafters in Lincoln NE and paid $340 for a pair that is exactly what I had hoped for in the first place. They said the prescription that Top Cheroen gave me was correct but the glasses were cut way too strong in magnification.

I went with bifocals because I cannot stand the peripheral distortion you get with progressives but otherwise went for super tough lenses with all the extras, hence the high cost. And that was for lenses alone since I had my own frames but I figger since I will be wearing them almost constantly and how much I value my vision...

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another quick update to this thread:

I would not, NOT recommend Top Cheroen at Central Huay Kaeo for eyeglasses!

I just returned from the US where I obtained lenses that work very well indeed and took my defective ones back to Top Cheroen today. After 45 minutes of trying to convince them that the glasses they sold me are impossible for me to wear, they finally agreed to correct/replace their defective ones for "only" 90% of what I originally paid.

They tried to tell me that the original prescription from Tokyo Optical was wrong but they had tested me as well and verified that the TO prescription was correct. Lenscrafters in the States also tested me, agreed that the Tokyo Op prescription was correct, cut me a pair that are perfect and let me know that the lenses from Top Cheroen did not pass their tests on them. Then the friendly folks at Top Cheroen worked on convincing me that it was my age that kept me from being able to adapt to their lenses, even though I have no problem with my newer ones. When I didn't buy all the nonsense I was being fed, they kindly agreed to cut me new lenses at a 10% discount. I politely (no, really) declined.

Man, getting anyone over here to take responsibility for anything is as much fun as pulling my own teeth!

Not that it will make any difference but I am going to make some noise through their home website and at their home offices. I may as well get my B62k worth one way or another, eh?

If you go North up Moon Muang Road and go pass the road on the left that would take you to UN Irish Pub immediately there is a small soi - also on the left - that brings you behind what was a big gas station at one time. There is a small shop there that sells glasses and mostly seems to target Thais.

They sold me my first pair of glasses and promised me coated Hoya lenses among other things. After one month the lenses were all scratched and I hadn't done anything to them except washed them in soapy water.

When I returned to the shop they claimed that I had been washing them with "Ajax" and after screaming at me, threw me out of the shop.

I brought them to the glasses shop almost right next to Art Cafe on Thapae road and she told me that I had been cheated - the lenses were not Hoya and were not coated - she told me exactly how to tell the real thng and where the Hoya office was to verify that her information was correct.

I bought new glasses from her. They were perfect and I have been a customer ever since. :o

And yet another quick update to this thread:

I would not, NOT recommend Top Cheroen at Central Huay Kaeo for eyeglasses!

I just returned from the US where I obtained lenses that work very well indeed and took my defective ones back to Top Cheroen today. After 45 minutes of trying to convince them that the glasses they sold me are impossible for me to wear, they finally agreed to correct/replace their defective ones for "only" 90% of what I originally paid.

They tried to tell me that the original prescription from Tokyo Optical was wrong but they had tested me as well and verified that the TO prescription was correct. Lenscrafters in the States also tested me, agreed that the Tokyo Op prescription was correct, cut me a pair that are perfect and let me know that the lenses from Top Cheroen did not pass their tests on them. Then the friendly folks at Top Cheroen worked on convincing me that it was my age that kept me from being able to adapt to their lenses, even though I have no problem with my newer ones. When I didn't buy all the nonsense I was being fed, they kindly agreed to cut me new lenses at a 10% discount. I politely (no, really) declined.

Man, getting anyone over here to take responsibility for anything is as much fun as pulling my own teeth!

Not that it will make any difference but I am going to make some noise through their home website and at their home offices. I may as well get my B62k worth one way or another, eh?

Dustoff,

PLEASE don't tell me you paid 62,000 THB for those glasses....

Were the frames a platinum/gold/iridium alloy, and the (incorrectly cut) lenses annoited with the breast milk of Swedish maidens?

Just wondering. :o

McG

Dustoff,

PLEASE don't tell me you paid 62,000 THB for those glasses....

Were the frames a platinum/gold/iridium alloy, and the (incorrectly cut) lenses annoited with the breast milk of Swedish maidens?

Just wondering. :D

McG

Yeah, well, I mentioned earlier that my speling ain't so purty good. I also tend to misplace or add a zero here and there - sorry about that but it is one of the drawbacks of being bind as a blat... :o