Russia's COVID-19 vaccine showed antibody response in initial trials

rooster59

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

So they plan to start mass inoculation in December, which will take 12 months, and that's if it works during the trial. So December 2021 until they've even finished vaccinating, at best.  

Yes, it's going to take years to vaccinate even the half of the world who wants to be vaccinated.

Edited by ukrules

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

So they plan to start mass inoculation in December, which will take 12 months, and that's if it works during the trial. So December 2021 until they've even finished vaccinating, at best.  

150 million people / 6 million Produced per month = 25 month

• Like 1

I think the Russians at least got the psychology of Covid right.  No vaccine developed anywhere for Covid is going to be 100% effective (the flu vaccine is 40-60% effective).  The safety of the Russian vaccine is unlikely to have any more safety issues than vaccines being developed elsewhere ... these will also not have full safety data complete by next year.  So Russia tells their citizens that they have a vaccine, so time to get back to work/normal.  The vaccine being the catalyst to restore confidence to stop hiding under a rock.  If the Russian vaccine is effective then their gamble pays off and the economy returns to grow quickly.  If the vaccine turns out not effective (or as effective as other vaccines) the story is still positive ... government did its best (more than other governments), it was better than doing nothing, economy on the mend, we now start to use whatever miracle vaccine was developed elsewhere.  The only outstanding question is safety ... but the same can be said about vaccines that people will be lining up for next year.  The Covid virus is heavily politicized.  Public policy/health has to be viewed through that lens first.

A post with altered quotes has been removed.  Do not change anything inside the quote box.  

From the forum netiquette:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

3 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I think the Russians at least got the psychology of Covid right.  No vaccine developed anywhere for Covid is going to be 100% effective (the flu vaccine is 40-60% effective).  The safety of the Russian vaccine is unlikely to have any more safety issues than vaccines being developed elsewhere ... these will also not have full safety data complete by next year.  So Russia tells their citizens that they have a vaccine, so time to get back to work/normal.  The vaccine being the catalyst to restore confidence to stop hiding under a rock.  If the Russian vaccine is effective then their gamble pays off and the economy returns to grow quickly.  If the vaccine turns out not effective (or as effective as other vaccines) the story is still positive ... government did its best (more than other governments), it was better than doing nothing, economy on the mend, we now start to use whatever miracle vaccine was developed elsewhere.  The only outstanding question is safety ... but the same can be said about vaccines that people will be lining up for next year.  The Covid virus is heavily politicized.  Public policy/health has to be viewed through that lens first.

The problem is not only that a vaccine, which has not been tested enough, may not be effective. It is also that it may have an unexpected  adverse effect on millions of people who have been inoculated.

2 minutes ago, candide said:

The problem is not only that a vaccine, which has not been tested enough, may not be effective. It is also that it may have an unexpected  adverse effect on millions of people who have been inoculated.

Regardless, we are seeing some leaps forward in vaccine technology in real time.

I'm sure some will work better than others, but I don't think that matters so much - there's many of them in development, lots of different types, some very different from previous models.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Regardless, we are seeing some leaps forward in vaccine technology in real time.

I'm sure some will work better than others, but I don't think that matters so much - there's many of them in development, lots of different types, some very different from previous models.

Which is an additional risk factor, as these new types of vaccines have never been tested before.

Call me racist/cynicist, but I would not have any Russian or Chinese-made 'vaccine', thanks, and would take any claim of success with a massive pinch of salt. With these, it is all politics & power completely devoid of compassion and empathy. Touch them with a barge pole at your own risk.

9 hours ago, chilli42 said:

The only outstanding question is safety

being  the number of occurrences of side effects and their outcome ,
compared to the number of Covid infections, their mortality rate and the lasting damage..

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Call me racist/cynicist, but I would not have any Russian or Chinese-made 'vaccine', thanks, and would take any claim of success with a massive pinch of salt. With these, it is all politics & power completely devoid of compassion and empathy. Touch them with a barge pole at your own risk.

let me try to understand this statement. 
would you use a Chinese or Russian made electronic device?  how do you know for sure the are not spying on you ?