the neighbors' new puppy: uh-oh

orang37

pit bull breeds are banned in most countries as they are well known to be aggressive and attack kids, babies and other dogs. Some folks have rottweilers, which are also dangerous as recently a lady in Australia had two or three I think it was and they attacked her and she died. They do attack their owners, they do attack the family kids and the babies, this kinda thing happens often. 

If people want to own a dog that's fine .... but don't go and get a dog if you live in a condo, or a place with no grass, or no yard, dogs need room to run and exercise. How many folks both Thai and foreign get a dog then lock it up and go to work everyday .... ?  

it's the owners that have no brains, not the dog. 

• Like 1

I hope it's not the first of more,our neibour had six Alsations ,

and 2 doors down a Dr. had 5 soi type dogs,for years we had

to put up with the noise,threat when the dogs got loose,over

the years the dogs died,Alsation owners too,so it's quiet

around here now, then a new house started to be built in front

of our's, and you get the sinking feeling,are they going to have

dogs !, then we found out the new people are Muslims,so

no chance of having dogs, thank Allah.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Hmmmmm! 

•  

"I hate all dogs except the one next door which never barks and looks like a sheep"

By the sound of this you like sheep ..there's no shame in that own up to it.I wish you and Baaa bara a happy time.

That aside 

I like dogs .. Thai people just shouldn't have them they  simply are not qualified!! the dogs are either pampered beyond belief or treated cruelly, both of which is totally wrong

This one OP states is a  caged one will go mad hopefully bite owner... Now in closing .....which chronic imbecile buys a dog on line!!!

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, billd766 said:

The owners of a shop in the village have a husky. It does nothing all day but pant, there is a fan blowing on it but I have never seen it out for a walk or anywhere other than the shop.

Some don't know how to look after their own children how can they be expected to know how to look after a dog. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The dog isn't the issue, it's the treatment. No dog should be left in a cage all the time, they need to expend energy so they remain calm. Obviously it's more of an issue to have an agitated Pitbull/Rottweiler/Doberman than it is to have an agitated Chihuahua.

I built a 250 square metre pen for our Pitbull once he was too big to roam around the farm freely. He can run around in there chasing the football, playing tug of war etc. and I also walk him up the field twice a day when I'm at the farm at the weekends. I put a couple of our Thai dogs in there so he can play with them for about an hour a day as well. 

Pitbulls are one the funniest, kindest, most loyal breeds if trained properly. He keeps my girlfriend company when I'm working in Bangkok and is also an excellent guard dog, since most Thais have drank the "every Pitbull wants to kill me" Koolaid and won't come within 50 metres of him. He's also great at removing Tookae, Jinjok, field rats etc.

It's only fairly recently they've been demonized by the MSM, mainly because of poor owners and lack of training has led to some incidents (as with every breed). Now, anything that vaguely resembles one of the Bull breeds is labeled a Pitbull because it makes good click bait. You only have to look on this forum to see how people who have never interacted with Pitbulls start baying for their blood and elimination from the planet every time they are mentioned. It's funny, but also quite sad to hear such fear due to ignorance about the breed.

it's a shame they are so aggressive and attack other dogs as well as their owners families. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Hmmmmm! 

•  

"I hate all dogs except the one next door which never barks and looks like a sheep"

By the sound of this you like sheep ..there's no shame in that own up to it.I wish you and Baaa bara a happy time.

That aside 

I like dogs .. Thai people just shouldn't have them they  simply are not qualified!! the dogs are either pampered beyond belief or treated cruelly, both of which is totally wrong

This one OP states is a  caged one will go mad hopefully bite owner... Now in closing .....which chronic imbecile buys a dog on line!!!

I agree with the opinion that (many if not most) Thais are not qualified to own dogs.  My wife was born on a farm with dogs and had no idea of the psychology of handling or even approaching dogs under any circumstances.  Now she trains other Thais about basic dog behaviours and interaction.   In nearly 6 years i could count on the fingers of one hand the number of Thais who visited our home in Chonburi North and had any clue at all about how to "read dog behaviour" or interact with dogs in any way at all.   Dog owners included, almost all of them.  Utterly no idea.

Another post in today's TV Forum email update.     I rest my case. 

I apologise for not having any useful advice for you.  I feel sorry for you and the dog.  Pitbull "types" take a lot more managing and I inherited one as a day old puppy whose mother and siblings all died at his birth and the owner (a brother of my wife) was and still is a useless dog owner.   He was and still is a handful.  (both the dog and the brother in law.)  I have not had any experience with a pure bred dog of that type, only mongrel " pit-bull types."  Soi dogs I have experienced are a mixed bag.  From delightful nature to untrustworthy, just like people.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

wondering if 2021 might end up being the Year of the PitBull soi dog! 

- when the beligerant owners who no longer cannot ($)  afford to feed them... & get rid of them

staring down a soi dog of that type, is the last thing you would dare do 

If Pit Bulls are so gentle, then why do so many people fear them? After all, many insurance companies, housing complexes and even the whole city of Montreal flat out ban them. Unfortunately there are lot of junk statistics when it comes to characterizing various dog breeds. These incorrect numbers have led many people and organizations to inaccurately label some breeds as “aggressive.”

Dogs Aren’t Born Bad

Aggressive dogs aren’t born that way. Mean dogs frequently aren’t properly socialized as puppies. They also likely have been abused or starved well into adulthood. People choose Pit Bulls for dog-fighting simply because they’re a strong and large breed – not because they’re monsters.

Aggressive Is a Misnomer for Several Dog Breeds

Pit Bulls are in good company on the “aggressive” list. Other mischaracterized canines include rescue dogs like St. Bernards and German Shepherds. St. Bernards are famous for hazardous alpine rescue missions and are described by breed experts as gentle giants.

German Shepherds are also canine heroes. These strong pups are popular within K9 units and make good drug-sniffing and bomb-detecting dogs. Trakr, a German Shepherd from Halifax, found the last 9/11 survivor. Another mischaracterized breed is the Siberian Husky. These dogs were specifically bred to look after small children and make excellent family pets.

Only Certain Dog Bites are Reported

Which do you think is more often reported: Pit Bull bites or Chihuahua bites? Probably Pit Bull bites, right? This isn’t because Pit Bulls are meaner dogs. Chihuahua bites are possibly more common, but underreported, because these tiny dogs can’t do much damage. In fact, animal experts report no relation between breed and aggression.

The truth is that there might actually be a correlation between dog size and aggression. And the findings aren’t exactly predictable. Instead of big dogs commonly being the aggressor, it’s pups with a Napoleon complex who are statistically more likely to lash out.

Total Dog Bites Doesn’t Reflect the Likelihood of a Dog Bite

Bear with us if you’re not a math person… The total of reported Pit Bull bites doesn’t reflect the likelihood of a Pit Bull bite. Let’s use an oversimplification to explain: Let’s say in a town there are 100 Pit Bulls and 10 Pugs. In that same town, all 10 Pugs and 20 Pit Bulls bite someone. While more Pit Bulls bit someone, they weren’t more likely to bite someone. Those numbers show that 100% of Pugs bite, but only 20% of Pit Bulls bite… and one can guess that Pugs are “more aggressive” than Pit Bulls.

So should people fear Pugs more than Pit Bulls? Of course not. But it’s this kind of junk statistics that incorrectly leads some people to believe that Pit Bulls and other “aggressive” breeds are more dangerous. In fact, it’s these poorly read statistics that led Canadians to label huskies as aggressive. There was a large number of reported husky bites simply because they’re a very popular breed among northern pet owners – not because they’re vicious dogs.

Don’t believe us?

When it comes to aggression, judge dogs on a case-by-case basis, not by breed. We’re not the only pet experts staunchly opposed to policies that discriminate based on breed. The following groups agree:

• Humane Society of the United States
  • American Bar Association
  • American Kennel Club
  • American Veterinary Medical Association
  • American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • National Animal Control Association
  • National Canine Research Council
  • US Department of Housing and Urban Development
  • The Obama Administration

Then How Can I Avoid Dog Bites???

Avoiding dog bites is a matter of reading individual personality, not breed. Learn how to judge dogs by their body language, not by size or stereotypes. Always monitor children when they’re around dogs, particularly pets you don’t know very well.

Pit Bulls Aren’t Just Not Aggressive, They’re Exceptionally Sweet Dogs

Pit Bulls are unusually gentle dogs and make very good family pets. Any good Pit Bull owner will agree. And unfortunately these loving animals overcrowd shelters. So if you’re looking for a loyal and affectionate dog, the first place to look is your local shelter. You’ll save a life – and gain a best friend for life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

If Pit Bulls are so gentle, then why do so many people fear them? After all, many insurance companies, housing complexes and even the whole city of Montreal flat out ban them. Unfortunately there are lot of junk statistics when it comes to characterizing various dog breeds. These incorrect numbers have led many people and organizations to inaccurately label some breeds as “aggressive.”

Dogs Aren’t Born Bad

Aggressive dogs aren’t born that way. Mean dogs frequently aren’t properly socialized as puppies. They also likely have been abused or starved well into adulthood. People choose Pit Bulls for dog-fighting simply because they’re a strong and large breed – not because they’re monsters.

Aggressive Is a Misnomer for Several Dog Breeds

Pit Bulls are in good company on the “aggressive” list. Other mischaracterized canines include rescue dogs like St. Bernards and German Shepherds. St. Bernards are famous for hazardous alpine rescue missions and are described by breed experts as gentle giants.

German Shepherds are also canine heroes. These strong pups are popular within K9 units and make good drug-sniffing and bomb-detecting dogs. Trakr, a German Shepherd from Halifax, found the last 9/11 survivor. Another mischaracterized breed is the Siberian Husky. These dogs were specifically bred to look after small children and make excellent family pets.

Only Certain Dog Bites are Reported

Which do you think is more often reported: Pit Bull bites or Chihuahua bites? Probably Pit Bull bites, right? This isn’t because Pit Bulls are meaner dogs. Chihuahua bites are possibly more common, but underreported, because these tiny dogs can’t do much damage. In fact, animal experts report no relation between breed and aggression.

The truth is that there might actually be a correlation between dog size and aggression. And the findings aren’t exactly predictable. Instead of big dogs commonly being the aggressor, it’s pups with a Napoleon complex who are statistically more likely to lash out.

Total Dog Bites Doesn’t Reflect the Likelihood of a Dog Bite

Bear with us if you’re not a math person… The total of reported Pit Bull bites doesn’t reflect the likelihood of a Pit Bull bite. Let’s use an oversimplification to explain: Let’s say in a town there are 100 Pit Bulls and 10 Pugs. In that same town, all 10 Pugs and 20 Pit Bulls bite someone. While more Pit Bulls bit someone, they weren’t more likely to bite someone. Those numbers show that 100% of Pugs bite, but only 20% of Pit Bulls bite… and one can guess that Pugs are “more aggressive” than Pit Bulls.

So should people fear Pugs more than Pit Bulls? Of course not. But it’s this kind of junk statistics that incorrectly leads some people to believe that Pit Bulls and other “aggressive” breeds are more dangerous. In fact, it’s these poorly read statistics that led Canadians to label huskies as aggressive. There was a large number of reported husky bites simply because they’re a very popular breed among northern pet owners – not because they’re vicious dogs.

Don’t believe us?

When it comes to aggression, judge dogs on a case-by-case basis, not by breed. We’re not the only pet experts staunchly opposed to policies that discriminate based on breed. The following groups agree:

• Humane Society of the United States
  • American Bar Association
  • American Kennel Club
  • American Veterinary Medical Association
  • American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • National Animal Control Association
  • National Canine Research Council
  • US Department of Housing and Urban Development
  • The Obama Administration

Then How Can I Avoid Dog Bites???

Avoiding dog bites is a matter of reading individual personality, not breed. Learn how to judge dogs by their body language, not by size or stereotypes. Always monitor children when they’re around dogs, particularly pets you don’t know very well.

Pit Bulls Aren’t Just Not Aggressive, They’re Exceptionally Sweet Dogs

Pit Bulls are unusually gentle dogs and make very good family pets. Any good Pit Bull owner will agree. And unfortunately these loving animals overcrowd shelters. So if you’re looking for a loyal and affectionate dog, the first place to look is your local shelter. You’ll save a life – and gain a best friend for life!

Machine guns are not aggressive by nature...so why not let everyone own them? 

But in the wrong hands they are lethal. This is the same with large fighting breed dogs like pit bulls. 

Most people are, sadly, not responsible enough to own them...and that is why there are so many of these dogs attacking and seriously injuring people and other dogs.

Now, a chihuahua could be compared to a water pistol. If you saw someone shooting a water pistol and another shooting an assault rifle about....which one would you be more afraid of?

This is why most people are rightly afraid of pit bull dogs...and why you should either ban them and similar dog breeds, or severely restrict ownership.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, Trujillo said:

So, Orang37, what exactly is the reason for opening this thread. Other than informative, I don't see any question or complaint or request for comments. Is there more to this you'd like to add? 

thank you for your advise,
did not know that the art of reading is not a pre-condition for making stroppy comments

On 9/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, orang37 said:

and wonder ... if he is neglected ... if he will get very aggressive.

Edited by KKr

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The dog isn't the issue, it's the treatment. No dog should be left in a cage all the time, they need to expend energy so they remain calm. Obviously it's more of an issue to have an agitated Pitbull/Rottweiler/Doberman than it is to have an agitated Chihuahua.

I built a 250 square metre pen for our Pitbull once he was too big to roam around the farm freely. He can run around in there chasing the football, playing tug of war etc. and I also walk him up the field twice a day when I'm at the farm at the weekends. I put a couple of our Thai dogs in there so he can play with them for about an hour a day as well. 

Pitbulls are one the funniest, kindest, most loyal breeds if trained properly. He keeps my girlfriend company when I'm working in Bangkok and is also an excellent guard dog, since most Thais have drank the "every Pitbull wants to kill me" Koolaid and won't come within 50 metres of him. He's also great at removing Tookae, Jinjok, field rats etc.

It's only fairly recently they've been demonized by the MSM, mainly because of poor owners and lack of training has led to some incidents (as with every breed). Now, anything that vaguely resembles one of the Bull breeds is labeled a Pitbull because it makes good click bait. You only have to look on this forum to see how people who have never interacted with Pitbulls start baying for their blood and elimination from the planet every time they are mentioned. It's funny, but also quite sad to hear such fear due to ignorance about the breed.

I agree with what you are saying. However, the number of incidents with pit bulls does give pause.

If I want to drive a scooter, I need a license. A car, different license. And if I get to a B-double truck, it's a whole new ball game in terms of training.

If people want to own pit bulls, fine. However, I'm suggesting there needs to be a system where those people who own them have demonstrated the ability to care for them and control them in the presence of others. Pit bulls are the B-doubles of the canine world.

Denver banned pitbulls and opened 200 places to legally buy weed with almost no repurcussions..maybe they were right.  Pitbulls are a part of thug culture.  Seen embiciles selling them on CM Facebook groups.  Some of the worst dog problems I have ever seen, were in Hang Dong... it's a crying shame, even with the jet noise, it could still be better than most of the city, but caged dogs, and soi dogs are not what good neighborhoods are made of.  And don't forget the losers out feeding them....sure as hell have never seen them cleaning up the feces.

Edited by moontang

IF you have a dog and put it in shelter and dont care for it. Why the F... you have a dog?

Well Thai and dogs, what they care. For that matter even in the west.

Dogs are very intelligent and you need to be the leader of the pack.

They can find people, money, drugs and latest determine you have cancer by smelling your pee.

They can distress people, but also of course use for violent causes. as a police dog.

You MUST active train your dog from being puppy. See the many stories in Cesar Milano's movies.

People who cant raise a dog. 99% is doing wrong from owners.

I already hate those people having a bird(s) in a cage, so a dog in a cage all day, doing nothing with the dog. ????

Once in Phuket met a stray dog, she was so nice, too bad i couldnt take her with me.