What's the modern day equivalent of a Walkman ?

Daffy D

14 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I have been using these for the last 4 years..... no leads etc 2 GB , download from your computer, books / music last one cost 1,490 Baht -----Sony outlet 1 year Guarantee , all the controls ON/Off/Volume /skip to different files--music to learn Thai etc, one charge usually last 2-3 days.

Looks interesting  :thumbsup:

It's interesting how if we live long enough we can outlast a number of modern innovations.

I recall 45 RMP record player installed in cars.    Very cool at the time.

Followed by cassettes that gave way to CD's   Then mini DVD's VCR's,

and the list goes on and on... 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just google SONY. You can still by something like a Walkman

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman

9d33d4374ea7b8a7a904fcb34459ac20?fmt=pjp

These are great for what they are. Good sound & quality, very compact, long battery life, easy to load via USB. But simple: just .mp3, no .flac, no replay gain or anything fancy. Had one for years.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?_keyori=ss&from=input&page=1&q=Sony NWZ-B183F&sort=priceasc

• Like 1

The Modern equivalent to Carrying a Walkman and Tapes (or CD’s) is an MP3 Player - however, you’ll still need to interface the MP3 player to a computer to load Music and Podcasts. 

By far the best option depends on your proximity to a Wifi Signal while you are outside chilling in your hammock. 

IF within Wifi range the best suggestion is the Smartphone (without a Sim) - you can use Spotify and stream Podcasts and Music till your hearts content. 

IF outside of a Wifi range the best suggestion remains a Smartphone (with a Sim) and use Spotify. 

In limiting yourself to a ‘modern day walkman equivalent’ that isn’t a Smart phone you removing the flexibility and live streaming capability, the multitude of potential apps that a smart phone offers. 

If you want flawless sounds there are apps which also deliver this: Such as Spotify paid membership and even TIDAL, which a lot of people will not have heard of, but streams lossless music.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just google SONY. You can still by something like a Walkman

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman

Outrageously expensive for a MP3 player. Buy something like a Sandisk for around 1000 baht. Lazada has a couple of 4gb MP3 players for around 400 baht.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Outrageously expensive for a MP3 player. Buy something like a Sandisk for around 1000 baht. Lazada has a couple of 4gb MP3 players for around 400 baht.

Agreed, it ain't cheap but with reason. I've tried a number of other cheaper players including a highly recommended Sandisk (not that model) and found the Sony overall superior for the combo of sound quality, reliability, firmware, battery life, and serious portability. And support--a Sony store can deal with problems.

I recognize of course the advantages of other solutions. When not preferring the Sony for the characteristics listed, I've been using an 8" tablet for reading eBooks besides all the rest. Using AIMP for music and radio, VLC for movies on that.

Aliexpress has some good quality MP3 players:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201107005749&SearchText=mp3+player+dac

• Like 2

Just go to any secondhand phone store and buy a cheap secondhand Android phone with working wi-fi and a slot for a micro SD card.  Make sure the phone can work with a 32 GB micro SD card and have one installed. 

The ear buds that sit in your ear but do not extend into the ear canal allow outside noise to destroy you music listening experience.  I strongly recommend getting ear buds with soft silicon rubber tubular fittings that go into your ear canal to block outside noise for a more pleasant listening experience.  These can be dirt cheap, or even free, but spend a bit more money on higher quality ones if you are a critical listener - Google for the best budget priced ones to avoid buying overpriced ones like those from Apple or Samsung.  I have good quality noise canceling headphones for air travel but for bus travel I use free ear buds from Jetstar that have soft silicon rubber extensions that extend into my ear canals.

Have the shop download and install VLC and Rocket Player for Android.  Both these applications are free.  The phone will probably come with a stripped down music player but I prefer Rocket Player over the one built into my phone.

VLC can play videos or music in MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv and AAC formats.  They don't specifically list mp3 but VLC will play this format.

Rocket Player will play alac, tta, ape, mpc, wav, flac, wv, wma formats.    They don't specifically list mp3 but Rocket Player is my standard mp3 audio player.

With my home music system I use 160 to 320 kbps for mp3s and prefer Flac for the highest quality.  The mp3 bit level that is satisfactory depends on the noise level in your environment.  When traveling the noise of a bus, train, or airplane makes it impossible for me to tell the difference between 96 and 320 kilobits per second (Kbps) mp3s so I load up a micro SD card with 96 kbps mp3 music for the trip. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

spend a bit more money on higher quality ones if you are a critical listener - Google for the best budget priced ones to avoid buying overpriced ones like those from Apple or Samsung. 

Important advice, gotta have the best quality earbuds or earphones you can afford.

• Thanks 1

Talking about walkman's . Still have one, getting older brand new. Just bought it before mp3 came out, of course switched then and the walkman moved into 

the closet, but it is still there. Also a high tech Aiwa cassette player, getting older, brand new. Both bought on wrong moment. 

IMG_20201107_111014.jpg

• Like 2