Biden stresses importance of Northern Irish peace deal in first call to PM Johnson

webfact

25 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The USA needs us more than we need them. They will surely collapse when faced with a bit of bluff and bluster.

Another strawman. Care to argue against my actual position, rather than one you have created on my behalf?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes and again the Brits are forced to bend. I mentioned it yesterday that they lost an ally in the US and now already it shows it effects. The Brits have even less power now then before in the negotiations.

I wonder how the Brexiteers are going to sell this. They kept telling me that the UK was holding the cards and had a strong position.

Looks more like quicksand to me.

You took your time. I thought our resident Brit hater would have been here a bit quicker than that ????.

How are we bending to Biden? What are we having to sell? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, vogie said:

We would have had a deal many years ago if the remainers hadn't been sticking their oars in at every juncture. Their failure overturn democracy will cost them dearly, and so it should.

and you are still using the same blame game over and over, can't you just admit the possibility of the other side (Brexiters) being responsible for the failures, could it be 50/50 or 60/40 or 75/25 or maybe 90/10 chose the % side as it fits your blame 555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes and again the Brits are forced to bend. I mentioned it yesterday that they lost an ally in the US and now already it shows it effects. The Brits have even less power now then before in the negotiations.

I wonder how the Brexiteers are going to sell this. They kept telling me that the UK was holding the cards and had a strong position.

Looks more like quicksand to me.

Another Dutch Brit dig, how boring......????

"Again the Brits are forced to bend"........Forced by Biden,  how, do you know something I/we don't, link please....?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But for all your bluff and bluster the UK finds itself unable to walk away. Johnson and the rest of his government could have walked away months ago but are slowly capitulating to the EU's position. 

Jingoism and flag waving gets you nowhere when it come to dealing with other countries and trade blocks. 

Yes, if I was Boris I would have walked away about 3 weeks ago. Boris has chosen to continue negotiating. Maybe he knows something we don't, maybe he believes the EU will finally compromise, or maybe he is simply going through the motions to cover his own arze for when No Deal happens so his detractors cannot say he didn't really try?

Neither of us are party to the discussions so we can only speculate. But yes, I do feel that it's a waste of time at this point and we'd be better off preparing for No Deal than wasting more time dealing with the continued intransigence of the corrupt protectionist racket that the EU has slowly become.

At this point, if Boris walked away and declared No Deal I would be happy. We've tried for a fair FTA, but the EU isn't acting in good faith with it's ridiculous demands for continued control, so based on those unreasonable demands it's time to leave the table and prepare for a clean break on January 1st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

And? David Davis is correct, there will be a considerable upside to Brexit. Who are you to say otherwise. Getting out of the EU would have been a walk in the park without the anti democratic remainers pulling in the opposite direction. 

David Cameron explained it all to you, you know the man, he was the PM at the time.

The same Brexit backing David Davis who repeatedly turned up for Brexit negotiations completely unprepared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How does that change that you were wrong? The only thing the rest of your quote adds is giving a reason why you were wrong, I.e. because you misjudged the situation and the influence your political opponent would have. If that matters to you — fine. 

You stating falsehoods does not make me wrong. HTH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just so y'all know, this issue didn't register at all as a campaign issue in the recent U.S. election, in which President Elect Biden win. Neither did U.S. - Brexit trade policy in general. 

If I could offer the President-Elect some advice it would be, apply to join the EU. Why? Because having been accepted, the US should promptly enact 'Amexit' and this will be the panacea for all evils.

Civil unrest? The fault of the EU. 'Amexit' will fix it. Ailing economy? The EU again. No problem though, 'Amexit's what you need. And how will 'Amexit' solve these problems? No need to concern yourself with the details. Just close your eyes tightly and wish really, really hard that everything will be ok. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, if I was Boris I would have walked away about 3 weeks ago. Boris has chosen to continue negotiating. Maybe he knows something we don't, maybe he believes the EU will finally compromise, or maybe he is simply going through the motions to cover his own arze for when No Deal happens so his detractors cannot say he didn't really try?

Neither of us are party to the discussions so we can only speculate. But yes, I do feel that it's a waste of time at this point and we'd be better off preparing for No Deal than wasting more time dealing with the continued intransigence of the corrupt protectionist racket that the EU has slowly become.

At this point, if Boris walked away and declared No Deal I would be happy. We've tried for a fair FTA, but the EU isn't acting in good faith with it's ridiculous demands for continued control, so based on those unreasonable demands it's time to leave the table and prepare for a clean break on January 1st.

I suspect Johnson has tried for his cake and eat Brexit but the EU has been consistent in its position from the very outset.

The reasons for the continued negotiations are I think more pragmatic. Johnson knows no deal is going to hammer the Uk's economy. And its going to come on top of the damage already done by corona. We are also spectacularly unprepared for a no deal Brexit and the changes it will bring to the transport of goods and services.

• Like 2

This is beginning to feel like a marathon juggling competition with both sides trying to keep their balls in the air the longest.   I am referring to the TV posters who are just repeating the same old arguments over and over and getting no further forward at all.

What we need is some progress soon or we will all end up dropping our balls out of exhaustion! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Probably demands was too strong a word to use for the back and forth in the "special" relationship. But in effect, isn't that really what's going on? 

well I hope it is, debate among form friends, but demands should not be made by anyone in this process. 

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think you mean Johnson wants a standard, mutually beneficial trade deal while the EU wants to screw the UK over for having the temerity to leave it's corrupt protectionist racket?

And those terms from the EU are all you are getting. Now you casually claim we can just go to WTO rules but I have already pointed out the problem with that. So the UK is not ready for trade with the EU on WTO  terms and the UK cannot afford to trade with the EU on WTO terms.

Stop waving the flag and face reality. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1