82 people killed, 466 injured on Thai roads during holiday weekend

webfact

82 people killed, 466 injured on Thai roads during holiday weekend

dn1.jpg
Photo credit: Daily News

The Thai transport ministry have issued their assessment of accident statistics for the long holiday weekend that has just passed, November 18th to 22nd. 

Thaivisa notes that this is just for roads under the jurisdiction of the transport ministry - the accident rate and death toll on all roads will be much higher.

During the period under review 10.68 million people used public transport. 

A total of 14.05 million vehicles entered and exited Bangkok. Thirteen million of these were private cars.

There were 455 accidents claiming 82 lives with 466 injuries. 

Statistics of at-the-scene road death in Thailand from Daily News showed 220 casualties from 18th to 22nd November.inclusive. Even this figure will not represent all road death as it does not include people who die on the way to and in hospitals.

dnn.jpg
Photo credit: Daily News

Of these 78.64% were on straight roads with speeding the most likely cause.

Chonburi had the most accidents with 27.

Accidents involving motorcycles were 153 causing 57 deaths and 165 injuries. Lamphun and Nonthaburi provinces both had 11 motorcycle related accidents.

There were 21 accidents involving public transport and trucks. Of these 5 were on public transport, 13 trucks and three involved trains.

Of these there were ten deaths and 22 injuries. 

There were no boat or air accidents.

Source: Manager Online

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Ombra said:

20.5 deaths per day on the roads is a big improvement on the 50-60  deaths on an average working day. Thailand tops road death ranking list (bangkokpost.com)

This is an argument for more holidays and heavier traffic.

Maybe the worst nutcases drink so much during holidays that they pass out, leaving only the average nutcases driving these days. 

I see a new twist in these figures. For ages people have been pointing out that these are only deaths at the scene but now we are told the figures only relate to certain roads (those under the jurisdiction of the transport ministry).

That means the ultimate figure will be even larger. You don't reduce road deaths just by not counting some in the figures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombra said:

20.5 deaths per day on the roads is a big improvement on the 50-60  deaths on an average working day. Thailand tops road death ranking list (bangkokpost.com)

This is an argument for more holidays and heavier traffic.

Its an argument for proper reporting.  The very same article headlines 82 deaths then goes on to tell of 220 over the same period.

• Like 2

Provisional statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for 2019 show that there were: 1,748 reported road deaths, similar to the level seen since 2012. 153,315 casualties of all severities in reported road traffic accidents, a decrease of 5% compared to 2018.

wow this is like a slaughter house here 82 killed in 4 days

I dont know about where you guys live but where we live during the day everything seems normal people driving ok not much speeding at 7pm after dark everything changes all the the crackpots come out, The amount of bikes with no lights is unreal and these sidecars should be banned, I had one the other night with the sidecar hanging out in my lane not a light on the front of the bike.

We have a Fino but neither of us go out at night on it I put a new headlamp bulb in the other week 80 Baht that 80 Baht could save a life, 

Just this morning as I left for work in the moo baan a car pulls out of a side street in front of me, not looking at all. They would have got a shock when I sounded the horn and screeched on the brakes though.

The fact is a very large percentage of Thai people cannot operate a motor vehicle competently and are a danger to themselves and others.