New Pickup Truck Recommendations

Banana7

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 AM, Banana7 said:

I'm considering purchasing a new pickup truck with an all-in price less than 900,000 . Any recommendations? I prefer the double cab/ 4 door with automatic transmission, 2 wheel drive is ok.

Are there usually year-end bargains, maybe demonstrators, or remaining 2020's before the 2021 vehicles arrive?

Those Ford Rangers look nice, especially one with a new 2.0L engine and 10 speed transmission.

so go buy the ranger.....why ask for opinions regarding other pickups ???????????????

• Sad 1

used might be better than new,
you will get a much better motor for your budget
as new you will be buying low/mid end models for under 900k
vehicles also do not hold their value here like they used too
and with current issues affecting the economy
there are many used cars are for sale cheap, and this is likely to increase as time goes by
There is also the big push to switch to electric vehicles coming soon

Much as ford pickups look great
we found ford after sales service is terrible.
make sure to purchase extended warranty

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JWRC said:

Toyota is the way to go and they hold there value much better than Ford or Nissan.

Here in the U.S, I have a 1998 Toyota 4wd short-bed that is doing fine.  Not too much on the odometer, maybe 135,000 km.  I'd buy another if they didn't make the style so ugly these days.  I don't want something that looks like a space ship out of an anime cartoon.  And here, it's hard to get a stick shift vehicle anymore. 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 AM, Banana7 said:

I'm considering purchasing a new pickup truck with an all-in price less than 900,000 . Any recommendations? I prefer the double cab/ 4 door with automatic transmission, 2 wheel drive is ok.

Are there usually year-end bargains, maybe demonstrators, or remaining 2020's before the 2021 vehicles arrive?

Those Ford Rangers look nice, especially one with a new 2.0L engine and 10 speed transmission.

If your budget is 900,000 then I would recommend looking at the final model change of the Ford Ranger XLT 4-door 2WD. It comes pretty much with everything you need and costs 899,000, but some dealers have promotions at the moment and are advertising for 859,000. It's the older 2.2 diesel engine with the 6AT, but I think it's more than good enough.

21 hours ago, JoeW said:

If your budget is 900,000 then I would recommend looking at the final model change of the Ford Ranger XLT 4-door 2WD. It comes pretty much with everything you need and costs 899,000, but some dealers have promotions at the moment and are advertising for 859,000. It's the older 2.2 diesel engine with the 6AT, but I think it's more than good enough.

Thanks.  I found a dealer offering 60k discounts on XLTs.

I was considering the Ford Ranger, but based on the comments in this thread, it seems it's difficult to get problems diagnosed properly and fixed free within the warranty period. I just want a reliable worry-free experience and a truck that will last a long time (10+ years), comfortable for 4 adults. Something that just needs minimal maintenance that can be performed by most competent licensed mechanics, not just manufacturer's dealership mechanics. A brand of truck where one doesn't have to argue with the service manager to get things fixed or escalate issues to the head office, etc. 

On 12/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, Banana7 said:

I was considering the Ford Ranger, but based on the comments in this thread, it seems it's difficult to get problems diagnosed properly and fixed free within the warranty period. I just want a reliable worry-free experience and a truck that will last a long time (10+ years), comfortable for 4 adults. Something that just needs minimal maintenance that can be performed by most competent licensed mechanics, not just manufacturer's dealership mechanics. A brand of truck where one doesn't have to argue with the service manager to get things fixed or escalate issues to the head office, etc. 

Then the Ford Ranger XLT should be good for you. Tried and tested 2.2 duratorq engine which can be repaired by anyone. 6 speed AT with a normal clutch which can be changed by anyone. Parts readily available throughout Thailand. The 2.0 bi-turbo unit that's something completely different. Also the 60k discounts are on pre-MC models.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, Banana7 said:

You should not buy only based on what you read here, that would be a mistake, so many Ford haters here I found out since the new Ranger was launched, I think the new ranger forum back in around 2012 or 13 was one of the longest ever here.

My Ranger from 2013 have been very good, okay the AC packed up earlier this year but this can happen to any brand after 6 year and on-wards. Also had AC  problems when I had a Honda City before the Ranger.

If I buy another pick-up truck (but I don't, too big for our needs), I will for sure get another Ford, likely the 2.0 Bi-turbo, the Ranger is the best riding and best looking truck for sale in Thailand IMO.

No complaints about the service either, Ford have improved their service a lot over the last 3-4 years.

Do you really think all Toyota dealers are that good, no they are not, some are good, some are not!

36 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

You should not buy only based on what you read here, that would be a mistake, so many Ford haters here I found out since the new Ranger was launched, I think the new ranger forum back in around 2012 or 13 was one of the longest ever here.

My Ranger from 2013 have been very good, okay the AC packed up earlier this year but this can happen to any brand after 6 year and on-wards. Also had AC  problems when I had a Honda City before the Ranger.

If I buy another pick-up truck (but I don't, too big for our needs), I will for sure get another Ford, likely the 2.0 Bi-turbo, the Ranger is the best riding and best looking truck for sale in Thailand IMO.

No complaints about the service either, Ford have improved their service a lot over the last 3-4 years.

Do you really think all Toyota dealers are that good, no they are not, some are good, some are not!

I am not basing it just on the comments here but the negative Ford comments did prompt me to do further research. You are right, not all dealerships are the same, some have competent staff and some are better than others. I live in Pattaya, so I read the google map reviews of the Pattaya Ford dealer and the Toyota dealer in Jomtien. The reviews are like day and night, good for Toyota,  but less than complimentary for Ford Pattaya. I wanted to avoid driving to another city to get hassle free service, especially under warranty.

What Ford dealer did you use?

Today I had a test drive of a 2020 Toyota Hilux Revo prerunner 2.4 double cab High. They only make 4 trim levels, entry, mid, high and rocco. Nice vehicle but no lumbar support in any model, and cruise control only in the High model. For long drives, the lumbar support is great and so is cruise control. The High model list price  is 1,009,000 less a discount of 50,000. Then 7,000 baht for registration, 646 for some special tax. Final price 969,646 baht. Also they offered a list of free accessories. The 2021 models have the same list price as the 2020 models, and there is a 45 day wait.

Edited by Banana7

33 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I am not basing it just on the comments here but the negative Ford comments did prompt me to do further research. You are right, not all dealerships are the same, some have competent staff and some are better than others. I live in Pattaya, so I read the google map reviews of the Pattaya Ford dealer and the Toyota dealer in Jomtien. The reviews are like day and night, good for Toyota,  but less than complimentary for Ford Pattaya. I wanted to avoid driving to another city to get hassle free service, especially under warranty.

Today I had a test drive of a 2020 Toyota Hilux Revo prerunner 2.4 double cab High. They only make 4 trim levels, entry, mid, high and rocco. Nice vehicle but no lumbar support in any model, and cruise control only in the High model. For long drives, the lumbar support is great and so is cruise control. The High model list price  is 1,009,000 less a discount of 50,000. Then 7,000 baht for registration, 646 for some special tax. Final price 969,646 baht. Also they offered a list of free accessories. The 2021 models have the same list price as the 2020 models, and there is a 45 day wait.

Okay fair enough.

I hope you also test ride a XLT before making up your mind.

It will be unlikely you need any warranty service.

Cruise control is indeed nice to have, used it a lot on my WT during a resent round trip to North Thailand.

If you live in Pattaya why on earth do you want a pick-up truck if you don't mind me asking? It was a big mistake in hind-sight getting a truck when living in Pattaya, I find it way too big.

Funnily enough, I was at Mazda looking at the beautiful CX30 and fell into talk with another expat looking at the same car, and I told him that I need a smaller vehicle and pointed out at my WT. He laughed and pointed out at his new Fortuner 2.8 and said I gonna sell it as soon as possible and get the top-model CX30 instead.  

8 hours ago, JoeW said:

Then the Ford Ranger XLT should be good for you. Tried and tested 2.2 duratorq engine which can be repaired by anyone. 6 speed AT with a normal clutch which can be changed by anyone. Parts readily available throughout Thailand. The 2.0 bi-turbo unit that's something completely different. Also the 60k discounts are on pre-MC models.

Is MC minor change? What is the minor change?

2 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Okay fair enough.

I hope you also test ride a XLT before making up your mind.

It will be unlikely you need any warranty service.

Cruise control is indeed nice to have, used it a lot on my WT during a resent round trip to North Thailand.

If you live in Pattaya why on earth do you want a pick-up truck if you don't mind me asking? It was a big mistake in hind-sight getting a truck when living in Pattaya, I find it way too big.

Funnily enough, I was at Mazda looking at the beautiful CX30 and fell into talk with another expat looking at the same car, and I told him that I need a smaller vehicle and pointed out at my WT. He laughed and pointed out at his new Fortuner 2.8 and said I gonna sell it as soon as possible and get the top-model CX30 instead.  

I live in central Pattaya, and within Pattaya and Jomtien I use a motorcycle or walk. The majority of my truck driving would be outside of Pattaya. I have been renting cars for years for my trips. When driving on the highways, it seems to me that at least 50% of vehicles are trucks. I like the high driver's viewpoint, the safety aspect in case of a high speed collision. It seems the pickup truck bumpers are at almost windshield level for an Altis or Civic, not nice for their occupants in case of a serious head-on collision. I've heard Thailand has the 3rd highest case of motor vehicle deaths in the world. Also, it seems one gets more value when buying a truck.

Also, with this virus, a personal private vehicle is the best to avoid being in contact with infected people while traveling. I don't want to be sitting on a plane with 200+ people not knowing if they are infected, or any other mass public transportation. Lots of stories of people sneaking into Thailand, without going into quarantine. Could be 2024 or 2025 before poor nations get some covid-19 vaccine.

Get a low-mileage used Ranger 2.2 XLT.  There's plenty of them being repossessed these days (along with all sorts of other cars and pickups). If you like it, then you can trade it in for the all-new Ranger which should be here in 2022.

I am on my second Ranger from 2011. First was a 2.2 XLT that needed a new battery before I traded it in for a 3.2 Wildtrak in 2014. Probably a combined +200,000 km with only a couple of warranty fixes on the 3.2 plus a new battery. Regular dealer services (15,000 km interval) which I will continue with despite the warranty expiring.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Get a low-mileage used Ranger 2.2 XLT.  There's plenty of them being repossessed these days (along with all sorts of other cars and pickups). If you like it, then you can trade it in for the all-new Ranger which should be here in 2022.

I am on my second Ranger from 2011. First was a 2.2 XLT that needed a new battery before I traded it in for a 3.2 Wildtrak in 2014. Probably a combined +200,000 km with only a couple of warranty fixes on the 3.2 plus a new battery. Regular dealer services (15,000 km interval) which I will continue with despite the warranty expiring.

Where can I find all these repossessed Rangers? I do search numerous websites daily.

One2car.com has a few XLT double cabs, but in several ads, the vehicle is not available, or not as advertised. For example:

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/ford-ranger-hi-rider-xlt-eastern-region-bang-lamung/7226032

I went to see the above vehicle, odometer reads 139,000 KM not the 19,000 KM advertised. 139K Km is a lot mileage for a 2019! Next the front driver side had been in an accident.  Fender and front bumper  seem new but the joint is uneven, maybe a bent frame if new parts don't fit properly. Finally, the website price is 549,000 but the windshield sign price is 599,000. You can get it for 549,000 only if you use their financing, which at a minimum, will cost another 170,000.

One used car dealer warned me to be careful when choosing a used vehicle. She said there is lots software available to alter the odometer. Ask for computer printed service records/invoices and other evidence to confirm the mileage.

Edited by Banana7

On 12/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, JoeW said:

auto with a clutch ?