Motor Expo bags orders for over 33,000 cars

webfact

Motor Expo bags orders for over 33,000 cars

By THE NATION

800_ea9dd6bc2b411ed.jpg?v=1607910017

Orders were placed for 33,753 cars at the 37th Thailand International Motor Expo 2020 held from December 2-13 at Impact Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi province.

The orders were down only 9.9 per cent from last year, the event organiser said.

Kwanchai Paphasphong, the organiser, said orders were placed until the last day. However, motorcycle orders were down to 4,946, a 31.7 per cent drop year on year.

“The small dip in car orders is satisfactory considering that this year the auto industry and the economy have been suffering from Covid-19, but thanks to the government’s measures in controlling the outbreak we can recover quickly,” he said.

Kwanchai added that carmakers who had received the most orders were Honda, Toyota, MG, Mazda and BMW. “The most popular cars were passenger vehicles which included sedan, hatchback and others, making up 40.9 per cent of total reservations,” he said. “MPVs or multi-purpose vehicles came a close second at 40.4 per cent, while pickup trucks were 12.2 per cent of total orders.”

The premium section saw 3,783 cars being reserved at the event, added Kwanchai.

As for motorcycles, the most popular brands were Honda, GPX, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Triumph.

Kwanchai added that the average price of cars sold at the event was Bt1.42 million, while the average price of motorcycles was Bt230,140.

“A preliminary report showed that more than Bt49 billion was generated in the fair from a total of 1,186,387 participants,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399553

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-14

Wife keeps bugging me about the crazy deals. No money down, low payments that are like motorcycle payments, which is probably why motorcycle sales are down.

But then I tell her, just look around our condo. Cars crammed into every possible space. Sometimes double parked, sometimes out in the soi, making it quite narrow and dangerous as you try squeezing past the zipping bikes. Then anywhere we want to go has no parking either. Forget it.

• Like 2

Most middle class people can afford to buy a car ,due to very

long repayment terms, it the running costs is that they never think

about....there is a small repair garage near us, just a shed really,

but it's full of BMW's,Mercs, Audi's, there was a newish Bentley,

in the other day,so they must do a good job,and be a lot cheaper

than main dealers.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

than main dealers.

regards Worgeordie

But are n't all their warranty's void as soon as it goes to the shed?

10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But are n't all their warranty's void as soon as it goes to the shed?

Must be,but if the owners don't have the money to pay the rates

that the main dealers charge, otherwise why would they use a

a small nondescript repair shop.?

regards worgeordie

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

than main dealers.

regards Worgeordie

All the BMW’s, Merc's, Volvo’s, Audi come with full warranty and service included - usually for 3 year and can  be extended. There are also ‘service’ packages included; 5 yrs for BMW, or 8 years (with 4 different levels) for Merc, Volvo is 10 years I think. Audi 5 years.

For many brands now, even many brands such as Mazda offer 5 years free service and warranty. 

Following purchase (or finance) motoring is effectively free for X years - after which, yep - use the shed.

Years ago (before we were married) the AC on my Wife’s 4 year old car failed (warranty was 3 years then) - the Dealer quoted 70,000 baht to change the AC compressor, an AC garage charged less than 30,000 baht. 

• Like 1

I'd never buy a new car here.   Buy a nice classic and then have it fully restored for way less that a new car.   

We took my friend's E30 to the Grand Palace on Sunday night to get this shot.  He's got a 1970's Alfa and an old Datsun 510 both being restored at the moment and I'm looking for a Mercedes 190E to rebuild into a DTM race car lookalike. 

130771516_756728158253791_3671632457420749241_n.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

They weren't selling Honda Clicks then.

The should have quoted the median price. The mean price is skewed higher due to the high price of luxury cars on sale. I would bet the majority of cars sold would be below 1.2m baht. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lovely looking model. But something (relatively) new and 100% reliable is needed for the school run and periodic trips outside of the city. 

When someone has a car such as this, an ‘every day’ car is also needed. 

Like me he uses the BTS to get to his office.  If I had to drive to work I'd get a driver and sit in the back.   

This car is used for road trips out of Bangkok most weekends.  We've covered some serious miles this year driving to different provinces, basically anywhere within 4-5 hours driving we've covered so now we're looking at doing overnight trips.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:08 PM, worgeordie said:

Must be,but if the owners don't have the money to pay the rates

that the main dealers charge, otherwise why would they use a

a small nondescript repair shop.?

regards worgeordie

Must be old models...all those European makes come with 5-6 year maintenance inclusive prices.

I went to the motor show again this year...mainly to check out the new Isuzu MUX and Toyota Cross. A very polite and English speaking sales girl also got me to test drive the Subaru EX (I believe that's what it's called). I was surprised on how "old school" and dated the Subaru's instrument cluster and dashboard was laid out...the fact that it's manufactured in Malaysia put an end to any thought of purchasing it. However, their stunt driver did an amazing job demonstrating its off-road and anti-rollover capability on their simulated uneven pavement course and little mountain set-up. The hybrid model Cross was fun to drive, the interior is first rate, and it comes with a lot of safety and driving assistance tech for the price. However, I'm just not sold on the exterior design. The MUX interior is just too cheap and plasticky as well as just being too big for my needs. 

I'd really like a nice smaller size car based SUV/cross-over type vehicle. The Toyota is a bit small...the CRV has a cheap interior and is quite expensive for a rather long in the tooth design, and the BMV X series has a quality interior but the cost is very high. (The Mazda X series vehicles,  especially the 5, are also rather dated designs, with small infotainment screens.) I'll just have to keep waiting.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Must be old models...all those European makes come with 5-6 year maintenance inclusive prices.

Some automakers, like BMW, offer free maintenance coverage for the first couple of years. Mercedes isn't one of these brands. However, the company does offer a prepaid maintenance program that can cover regular services up to 110,000 miles. ... Plus, it's good to remember that prepaid maintenance is just that: maintenance.Apr 4, 2020

Are you sure ?

regards worgeordie

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some automakers, like BMW, offer free maintenance coverage for the first couple of years. Mercedes isn't one of these brands. However, the company does offer a prepaid maintenance program that can cover regular services up to 110,000 miles. ... Plus, it's good to remember that prepaid maintenance is just that: maintenance.Apr 4, 2020

Are you sure ?

regards worgeordie

I agree that the "free" maintenance plans offered automakers are not really free...the cost is baked into the price of the car. Like with the warranties, it's peace of mind that you know what the cost of ownership is going to be for at least the first 3-5 years.