Mall attack settled: Norwegian pays 30K to Thai lady shopper he kicked after trolley misunderstanding

webfact

4 hours ago, cvs04 said:

This guy is a customer of mine and has been for 5 years. I've always found him to be placid and a very nice guy. I spoke with him yesterday.

Whilst I don't condone the way he handled the situation it would appear there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

He had just finished his shopping in Big C and was with his daughter who is about 12. They went for a kfc and put the trolley to one side whilst they queued and ordered food.

Distracted whilst ordering food he turned round to see the woman walking away with his trolley which had 6000 baht, already paid for, worth of goods he'd just bought plus his car keys etc etc. As far as he was aware it was the only trolley there so not sure how she made a mistake and thought it was hers.

He shouted her to stop and she started to run with the trolley. He gave chase and booted her up the backside to stop her. Maybe she turned and he caught her hip instead or maybe the bruise was from something else unrelated.

The tourist policeman is somewhat notorious amongst the farang community here shall we say.

I believe neither he or his daughter were given any opportunity to speak during the Police interview. He was told if he tried to challenge the plaintiff in court he would get 3 years in jail unless he paid her off. The cctv footage apparentely looked to be cut and didn't show the event as it unfolded.

If he had been a Thai man in this situation I suspect it would be the girl being charged. However it's a farang and whenever that happens there's a big story, the farang loses some money and then defamed in the media. Remember it's always the farangs fault unless there is a nearby Burmese they can pin it on instead.

Can easily imagine this being true. I can tell you something. My wife's family are the laziest bunch of layabouts I've ever known. Except for the three in the police. I now see lucrative possibilities for them, here.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

My take is this I truly detest violence against Women and whether or not he made the right call in the moment is questionable. I would like to think I would have exhausted all other options before using physical force.

However, prior to me putting across his version of events there were many commenting that he should be beaten or deported for his actions from fellow farang.  He has gone to another province with his daughter due to personal threats he has received as an upshot of the media coverage.

If an individual, male or female, walks into a bank wearing a balaclava, carrying a shotgun and asks the teller to put the money in a bag then gets shot in the leg by bank security protecting the establishment, staff and customers.  Whilst this is a completely different scenario would there be any sympathy for the individual wearing the balaclava or would it be a simple case of som nam na serves you right for trying to rob a bank?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Not often that I agree with Trans.

Yes I mean the guy was bigger and not pushing a trolley. He could have overtaken her running stopped the trolley and be done with it (maybe get security involved). I don't see how a big guy could not have stopped this trolley without violence.

So the woman was not innocent but certainly did not deserve what she got.

Maybe we could do a survey .

All get our female other halves to get a trolley full of shopping in a car park and see whether she can run away without us catching her ?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

But if she really ran then that is different still stupid of the guy to use violence. Much easier to just grab the cart he was bigger and stronger. No need for a kicking and I am sure he could run faster too then someone pushing a cart. 

Maybe he didn't want to leave his unattended 12 year old daughter behind?  Could easily make for a kidnapping or abduction. And the cart could have been a distraction. What a myopic view of things you have.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Maybe we could do a survey .

All get our female other halves to get a trolley full of shopping in a car park and see whether she can run away without us catching her ?

I think in Thaivisa that survey might end badly for me. All those old guys who can hardly walk with younger wives. 

Better compare a 40 something guy chasing a woman. 

But seriously anyone who cannot outrun someone pushing a shopping trolley must have some serious problems.

Talk about a strange world view.. like you cant let a 12 year old be alone for a bit. I guess some people really do love violence. Need to punish others.

Its really not a case of either loving violence or the need to punish people (although we've seen a fair amount of that in this thread with people making suggestions of what they would do to him "If that was my wife" and what extreme punishment he should face) , this is a case to stopping a thief in their tracks 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its really not a case of either loving violence or the need to punish people (although we've seen a fair amount of that in this thread with people making suggestions of what they would do to him "If that was my wife" and what extreme punishment he should face) , this is a case to stopping a thief in their tracks 

Yes it is, and are you saying that a big guy who can run faster then a a Thai woman with a shopping trolley his only viable option was kicking ? I think the non violent options of grabbing the trolley and holding on to it was viable too and better.

In my country you get punished if you use excessive force even if defending yourself. Violence must always be proportional. So if someone tries to stab you you might stab back but not shoot them (unless your with your back to a wall and no escape). But they of course do take into account emotions and stuff. 

I feel its a good thing that violence needs to be proportional otherwise a small thing like this could end in a complete beat down of someone under the name of self defense. Now it was just a few kicks with bruises... if they don't watch out and let this happen then next time it might be even worse. Because people do like to punish people themselves for doing stuff.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Talk about a strange world view.. like you cant let a 12 year old be alone for a bit. I guess some people really do love violence. Need to punish others.

No, I would not want to leave my 12 year old daughter unattended in a large mall. Does the girl even speak Thai? There are multiple issues to think about here, including abduction, ransom, and even revenge on the daughter. You don't know. But if someone doesn't think that pick pockets, abductors, and other crooks work in sophisticated rings that distract attention from their main target, then that person is a fool. Be on your guard or be sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

No, I would not want to leave my 12 year old daughter unattended in a large mall. Does the girl even speak Thai? There are multiple issues to think about here, including abduction, ransom, and even revenge on the daughter. You don't know. But if someone doesn't think that pick pockets, abductors, and other crooks work in sophisticated rings that distract attention from their main target, then that person is a fool. Be on your guard or be sorry. 

Right you sound like a level headed non paranoid person ????

Not being able to leave a 12 year old alone for some time in a mall is crazy. Could you give me some newspaper articles of abductions in Thailand of young girls. Lets say in the recent years (just 2 articles would convince me) I mean like 10-12 year olds not younger then that. 

Otherwise its just something that almost never happens and is made up in your mind.

Edited by robblok

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

In my country you get punished if you use excessive force even if defending yourself. Violence must always be proportional.

So if some kung f_u expert attacks you, then you can only respond with your fists? No wonder your country is a joke. But then Holland is the place where people can start squatting in your house if you take a weekend vacation, isn't it? At least it was back in the late 1980s, when I last wen there. One thing I tire of is the smug self righteousness of some people on this forum, forever rattling on about their "home country" and making it a standard for the world. Wonder who I could be talking about???

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes it is, and are you saying that a big guy who can run faster then a a Thai woman with a shopping trolley his only viable option was kicking ? I think the non violent options of grabbing the trolley and holding on to it was viable too and better.

In my country you get punished if you use excessive force even if defending yourself. Violence must always be proportional. So if someone tries to stab you you might stab back but not shoot them (unless your with your back to a wall and no escape). But they of course do take into account emotions and stuff. 

I feel its a good thing that violence needs to be proportional otherwise a small thing like this could end in a complete beat down of someone under the name of self defense. Now it was just a few kicks with bruises... if they don't watch out and let this happen then next time it might be even worse. Because people do like to punish people themselves for doing stuff.

Was the guy able to get ahead of the trolley to stop it ?

Even if the kick was wrong and unjustifiable , its not 30 000 Baht worth of being wrong .

We should try to stick to this story and what happened here , rather than comparing it to hypothetical stabbings and shootings .

If someone is running off with your belongings and car keys , I do think its justifiable to give them a kick in the bum to stop them running .

It wasnt a kick to attack her or punish her, the intention was to stop a theft and it doesnt seem to be excessive force  , from the photo , it looks like the trolley did the bruising , rather then the actual kick , seems like she fell against the trolley

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not often that I agree with Trans.

Yes I mean the guy was bigger and not pushing a trolley. He could have overtaken her running stopped the trolley and be done with it (maybe get security involved). I don't see how a big guy could not have stopped this trolley without violence.

So the woman was not innocent but certainly did not deserve what she got.

So you are saying that because the guy is bigger, it is guaranteed that he is not only a faster runner; don't forget that he actually had to catch up with her in the first place, but that he had to overtake her and stop the trolley...all in a completely calm way. Not just that, but he had to abandon his daughter in order to do so.

How about reviewing what you write before hitting the submit button?

It's easy to post with hindsight; though not quite the same in the heat of the moment.

I suggest that you might not be as calm as you suggest had it been you, your daughter and your 6000 baht worth of shopping that had been TAKEN.

Let me give you another scenario....

Once I left a bicycle nearby, unlocked, whilst I was chatting up a girl that I liked. A friend of mine took the bike for a spin and as far as I knew put it back where he found it. When I next looked, the bike was gone. A helpful taxi driver opposite told me that he had spotted someone taking it a while back, but wasn't sure who owned it.

So I jumped in the taxi and we went looking. We saw the culprit a few kms away, struggling to pedal with my huge front cog and tiny back cog...... how exactly would you have got them off the bike?

I, opened the car door at an appropriate time. Wasn't too concerned about the welfare of the thief.

That's how it is in the heat of the moment. He reacted to a fleeing thief. That's it. If it was a genuine mistake, the taker should not have sought financial compensation, that is just disgusting.

A mutual apology and covering of hospital bills should have sufficed.

All in all, the trolley taker seems to be the lowlife here, not the Norwegian. His reaction was not outlandish nor out of control. She took and ran.

• Like 2

Someone said she was RUNNING with the trolley away from KFC.......  maybe she can sue this person for defamation.   OMG, am I joking?

anyhow.....I've been in Thailand long enough.  I've NEVER even remotely seen anything like this.   and near a KFC during the day.

he said CCTV video was cut or something....sounds like another lawsuit.  I don't believe that either.   and the said they couldn't talk during the police interview......well, I can remotely believe that; HOWEVER, I also don't see that happening.  I think they would let him talk forever and reach the same conclusion.

want me to believe they told him, "OK, you can't talk."  nah..  

there ISN"T any more to this story....this guy lost his cool and kicked TWICE an defensive less petite woman.  

2 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

anyhow.....I've been in Thailand long enough.  I've NEVER even remotely seen anything like this.   and near a KFC during the day.

Are you stating that because YOU have never seen a trolley being stolen from outside a KFC during the daytime, then, it couldnt possibly have happened ?

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Seriously?

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Right you sound like a level headed non paranoid person ????

Not being able to leave a 12 year old alone for some time in a mall is crazy. Could you give me some newspaper articles of abductions in Thailand of young girls. Lets say in the recent years (just 2 articles would convince me) I mean like 10-12 year olds not younger then that. 

Otherwise its just something that almost never happens and is made up in your mind.

Actually it's you who sounds a bit off-key. Everyone knows you can be smarter with hindsight.

But this is a situation wherein ones emotions are already heightened by your items being stolen in the first place. You have no idea as to who stole it; so you ask your daughter to stay put in case there is violence. So you are now protecting family and property. Then you find who took your trolley and they start running. Now you have to run. Still calm?

Seriously, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard writing flippant comments. But there is a real world out there. Kicking a thief's legs from under them is not an unreasonable act in my opinion.

You have no idea if that person, male or female has a weapon. If they are brazen enough to take your stuff, they may be capable of much more. What is she turned around and stabbed him?

He made a split second decision to disable the thief. I am not going to vilify him publicly for that.

We are human, not robots.

I've been in situations wherein someone pulled a knife. Have you? 

This was in the heat of the moment; not sitting in front of your keyboard with no pressure at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Seriously?

Actually it's you who sounds a bit off-key. Everyone knows you can be smarter with hindsight.

But this is a situation wherein ones emotions are already heightened by your items being stolen in the first place. You have no idea as to who stole it; so you ask your daughter to stay put in case there is violence. So you are now protecting family and property. Then you find who took your trolley and they start running. Now you have to run. Still calm?

Seriously, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard writing flippant comments. But there is a real world out there. Kicking a thief's legs from under them is not an unreasonable act in my opinion.

You have no idea if that person, male or female has a weapon. If they are brazen enough to take your stuff, they may be capable of much more. What is she turned around and stabbed him?

He made a split second decision to disable the thief. I am not going to vilify him publicly for that.

This was in the heat of the moment; not sitting in front of your keyboard with no pressure at all.

Your making an awful lot of assumptions. 

1 the guy knew who stole it as he ran after the lady. While running he saw it was a lady when kicking he saw it was a lady. No knives nothing.

H did not make a split second decision he kicked her even after she apologized. 

Your making an awful lot of assumptions. 

1 the guy knew who stole it as he ran after the lady. While running he saw it was a lady when kicking he saw it was a lady. No knives nothing.

H did not make a split second decision he kicked her even after she apologized. 

Has it been conformed he kicked her again after she opologised ?

Her original claim that he hadnt yet paid for the goods has shown to be untrue 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

No need to tell both sides of the story. There are certain facts in this story supported by evidence.

First the picture of her bruised legs (so it was not a minor kicking), the fact that he paid 30k.

Both those things show that the lady was right, because if the foreigner was wrong he would not have paid 30k.

Sometimes you don't need both sides but just a brain. 

Violence is never acceptable, even if he lost face. I guess you and I have different morals. 

How do you know she does n't bruise easily, he might only have tapped her / they might have been there before.

He paid 30K coz he's an idiot. Less than 3K would have been enough.

Violence is never acceptable but your making assumptions about what happened.

27 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

So you are saying that because the guy is bigger, it is guaranteed that he is not only a faster runner; don't forget that he actually had to catch up with her in the first place, but that he had to overtake her and stop the trolley...all in a completely calm way. Not just that, but he had to abandon his daughter in order to do so.

How about reviewing what you write before hitting the submit button?

It's easy to post with hindsight; though not quite the same in the heat of the moment.

I suggest that you might not be as calm as you suggest had it been you, your daughter and your 6000 baht worth of shopping that had been TAKEN.

Let me give you another scenario....

Once I left a bicycle nearby, unlocked, whilst I was chatting up a girl that I liked. A friend of mine took the bike for a spin and as far as I knew put it back where he found it. When I next looked, the bike was gone. A helpful taxi driver opposite told me that he had spotted someone taking it a while back, but wasn't sure who owned it.

So I jumped in the taxi and we went looking. We saw the culprit a few kms away, struggling to pedal with my huge front cog and tiny back cog...... how exactly would you have got them off the bike?

I, opened the car door at an appropriate time. Wasn't too concerned about the welfare of the thief.

That's how it is in the heat of the moment. He reacted to a fleeing thief. That's it. If it was a genuine mistake, the taker should not have sought financial compensation, that is just disgusting.

A mutual apology and covering of hospital bills should have sufficed.

All in all, the trolley taker seems to be the lowlife here, not the Norwegian. His reaction was not outlandish nor out of control. She took and ran.

I am not sure if you ever tried to run or go fast with a trolley ( i have during rain). You can't get really fast a runner can easily get past it. Easy thing. A 12 year old can easily be alone for a while. More then a while at that age i biked to school alone and more played with friends played out without supervision. 

I guess im a lot more cool then you, never had to resort to violence like that. But getting someone of a bike vs a trolley is not the same. In case of the bike you cannot really outrun it. You will have to get the person off it. In case of a trolley all you need to do is hang on to the trolley. Nothing more. 

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Has it been conformed he kicked her again after she opologised ?

Her original claim that he hadnt yet paid for the goods has shown to be untrue 

I think we should follow the story unless its proven untrue. Though the guy that posted it was his friend. How do we know the guy is not lying ? Would not be the first forum troll. Why do you believe what he says without question and not the article ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Seriously?

Seriously, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard writing flippant comments. But there is a real world out there.

"Kicking a thief's legs from under them is not an unreasonable act in my opinion." A young woman who had mistakenly wandered off with the wrong trolley, something I've done several times. Even after being kicked she apologised and received a second kick. If you don't think that's unreasonable I suggest you need therapy.

"I've been in situations wherein someone pulled a knife. Have you? "

I've been in a situation where a guy, who worked for Khmer Rouge in a brothel in the jungle in Cambodia, pulled a gun on me. I didn't kick him in the shins, I calmly talked him down and resolved the situation amicably with smiles all round. What would you have done Mr keyboard warrior?

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I dispute the amount paid.

What he did was wrong - no doubt.

But what he paid was also wrong - no doubt.

You dont dispute the fact about the amount paid .. its a fact

You might not agree with the amount but the fact that he paid 30k cant be disputed unless you know of a different amount paid.