Netflix’s The Dig accused of ‘ageism’ over casting of Carey Mulligan, 35, as 56-year-old woman

snoop1130

Netflix’s The Dig accused of ‘ageism’ over casting of Carey Mulligan, 35, as 56-year-old woman

By Adam White

carey-mulligan-edith-pretty.jpg

Carey Mulligan as Edith Pretty in The Dig, and a painting of the real-life Edith Pretty (Netflix/National Trust/Robin Pattinson)

The Netflix film The Dig has been accused of ageism after casting the 35-year-old Carey Mulligan as a real-life 56-year-old woman.

Mulligan stars in the movie, which was released last week (29 January), as the Suffolk landowner Edith Pretty, who in 1939 hired an archaeologist to excavate the grounds of her estate. Ralph Fiennes stars as the archaeologist, Basil Brown, and Lily James, Johnny Flynn and Ben Chaplin also appear.

While the film has received praise from critics, a number of viewers have questioned why Mulligan was cast as Pretty, who died at the age of 59.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-dig-netflix-carey-mulligan-age-b1796872.html

No art, no drama, no novel, even those purporting to be "based on real life" or an out-and-out biography, is ever "true" (just look at The Crown for an example of where it is 'permitted' to take liberties with the truth).

I am a writer.  I have penned two full length film scripts; four books (two of them Thai-centric); one Thai TV series.  You cannot get into being published without an agent.  All agents want your biography.  To let slip that you are 78 sounds the death knell of your ambitions.

13 hours ago, dddave said:

Good lord!! Stamp this thinking out quickly.

Next thing you know, they'll start demanding bars hire staff commensurate with the average customers age.

Sh.t no!!!!!!!! We won't have any sexy bar girls selling us drinks then!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????

10 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Sh.t no!!!!!!!! We won't have any sexy bar girls selling us drinks then!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????

Another problem is the mis-casting by age in some of the films I watch. Sometimes grandmothers I like should be cast as mothers I like and vice versa.

Not only was age of woman off, but she was older in real life than character Finnes played & he's 5 yrs older than real Mr Brown... yada yada. Yes, it would be nice if they'd at least tried to make her look older, take that element of him seeming to be attracted to a  younger woman business off the plate.

Hey, watched it last night and liked very much. Of note was minimal dialog, allowing camera work, etc to evoke moods, feelings etc. Not a superhero flick for sure

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, mtls2005 said:

Carey Mulligan was awesome in "Collateral".

Seems like she's in the running for a Oscar nomination...

AND THE PREDICTED NOMINEES ARE:
Carey Mulligan
"Promising Young Woman" (Focus Features)
Lazy loaded image
OSCAR HISTORY: 1 nomination (2009's "An Education")
ROLE: Cassandra "Cassie" Thomas

DIRECTOR: Emerald Fennell
SYNOPSIS: A young woman, traumatized by a tragic event in her past, seeks out vengeance against those who cross her path.
STARRING:Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Laverne Cox, Molly Shannon, Clancy Brown, Jennifer Coolidge, Max Greenfield, Alison Brie, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Connie Britton, Chris Lowell, Adam Brody, Sam Richardson

https://variety.com/feature/2021-oscars-best-actress-predictions-1234769627/

Carey Mulligan Could Make an Oscars Comeback With ‘Promising Young Woman’

Over a decade later, Carey Mulligan may finally be able to return to an Oscars ceremony as a nominee with “Promising Young Woman.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/promising-young-woman-oscar-chances-1234841849/

excellent movie.  Wonderful moment early on when the butler opens the "front" (and therefore hi-so) door when the working-class Basil Brown knocks.  Butler takes a half step back, silently and slowly looks Brown up and down, and then says he should be knocking at the BACK door.  And shuts the door in his face.

Brilliant summing up of the CLASS issues in the film.

Not sure, though, why they had to go to Hollywood to find an actress for this very English role.  However, she did an adequate job.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:08 PM, jak2002003 said:

I was outraged by this film when I learnt that the people playing the archeologists were not real life archeologists and the museum director was not really working for a museum in real life. 

And I heard that they didn't really dig all those holes on their own by hand.

Oh, the horror.

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, Pilotman said:

All those dim <deleted> who come up with this kind of discrimination <deleted>, its called acting, get it? 

It's 2021... apparently folks aren't happy anymore unless they can claim to be discriminated against in some minor way.

The world is becoming a ridiculous place. There are 46 different sexual preferences. When I was younger, there was only LGBT - only 4 to remember. There are 52 genders now - I was taught there were only two!

With people rushing to make themselves different, and insisting on using plural pronouns such as they/them/their what else can we expect but a floodgate of fake outrage.

Damn... I'm getting old, and I'm only in my mid thirties! 

• Like 2