She does not pay me back?

RyanWalker

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

No its not.  Telling the truth about this transaction on social media. or to the school authorities,  is neither defamatory nor criminal.  It is only either of those things if it is wrong. I also suggested 'threatening' to do it, that may well be enough. 

With this attitude of yours in which you think you yourself know everything, here in Thailand you can expect two outcomes in the long term. 

1. Behind bars for defamation. 

2. In the morgue with a couple of bullets in your brain after you threaten some Thai person and make them lose face. 

If OP says anything on social media about that she borrowed money and never gave it back, OP WILL end up paying a fine and doing time.

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

No its not.  Telling the truth about this transaction on social media. or to the school authorities,  is neither defamatory nor criminal.  It is only either of those things if it is wrong. I also suggested 'threatening' to do it, that may well be enough. 

It is not true for private matters:

Under Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code, defamation is defined as whoever imputes anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others. When defamation is committed by publication or other media made visible by any means, the offender is liable for imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to 200,000 baht. If the person who is accused of defamation is able to prove that the statement is true, the person shall not be punished. But the truth is not a defense for private matters that is not a benefit to the public (Section 330).

• Like 2

There is a system that in Europe goes back to the Middle Ages but that you could use, simply follow it and she always ask for the money back, sometimes it works.

Next time, seeing that you are a teacher and that you are reading and writing, make a written loan in front of two witnesses who sign in accordance with Thailand law.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Expensive lesson I suspect. As a rule of thumb in Thailand never lend money unless you're willing to consider it a gift.

But surely 'it's the principal'

Or maybe They lent it to the principal !

Lent a ‘friend’ in the work place some money.

‘Friend’ won’t pay it back. 

Op doesn’t know what to do: The answer is simple, escalate or forget about it. 

Forgetting about it clearly depends on the amount. If 5,000 baht its not such a big deal, but there is a principle. 

If its 50,000 baht it becomes a big deal and a matter of principle.

If you have an overlapping supervisor get them to help out. You need to get this ‘friend’ to admit to taking the loan in front of the supervisor. 

Question: Is your ‘friend’ capable of returning the money? i.e. is she working ?

How much is making a point of this worth to you?  

If you have the resources, why not throw good money after bad, and enjoy the ride?

Outspend her with legal proceedings.  

She may just pay up, once she realizes she will be forced to spend more on lawyers than what she owes you.   ????

Sometimes it's worth paying the extra money for the satisfaction.  ???? 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lent a ‘friend’ in the work place some money.

‘Friend’ won’t pay it back. 

Op doesn’t know what to do: The answer is simple, escalate or forget about it. 

Forgetting about it clearly depends on the amount. If 5,000 baht its not such a big deal, but there is a principle. 

If its 50,000 baht it becomes a big deal and a matter of principle.

If you have an overlapping supervisor get them to help out. You need to get this ‘friend’ to admit to taking the loan in front of the supervisor. 

Question: Is your ‘friend’ capable of returning the money? i.e. is she working ?

Colleague, which makes it tough. We are work friends but not best friends. She also got her boyfriend to.message me that they don't have money. What annoys me is that her attitude is very bad. She clearly does not want to pay so she looked for a way out by causing a bit of trouble. Anyway, lesson learned I guess

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

Expensive lesson I suspect. As a rule of thumb in Thailand never lend money unless you're willing to consider it a gift.

Correct , especially lending money to farlangs .

Been there , and done it ...

Well it looks like you have evidence in the form of text messages that she owes you money. As it's a farang, you could threaten to talk to the school if she doesn't set up a payment plan with you. You don't have to do it, and I wouldn't recommend it, but the threat of being embarrased might be enough.

That should be enough to get her to agree to something in writing, even a text message would suffice. If you have something in writing it makes your life a lot easier. 

Good luck

• Like 2