Thailand reports 157 new COVID-19 infections, one more death

webfact

Thailand reports 157 new COVID-19 infections, one more death

static.reuters.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 157 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday.

Most of  the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 144 were local transmissions, while 13 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported that 548 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

4,909 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre. One additional death was reported

Wednesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 23,903 with 80 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-10

Looks like they stopped reporting the walk-ins. However, reading another paper, I see that another staff member at Chulalongkorn University has tested positive during active testing.  First I have heard they had been finding staff infected there or that they were doing tracing and tracking as well as active testing.

• Like 2

Covid-19 will become just like the flu needing booster shots every year especially with all the variants that will keep mutating so Pharma companies need to be vigilant in updating vaccines as is done with the flu vaccines .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Covid-19 will become just like the flu needing booster shots every year especially with all the variants that will keep mutating so Pharma companies need to be vigilant in updating vaccines as is done with the flu vaccines .

And not only the variants, but the different ones for each hemisphere.  This past year for the Flu jab I was given the southern strain or fluqardi, not what I would have received if in say the US.

15 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It's not the flu!The flu kills about 3,000 people each year in Thailand compared to 80 in one year. I'm sick of people comparing it to the flu.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It's not the flu!The flu kills about 3,000 people each year in Thailand compared to 80 in one year. I'm sick of people comparing it to the flu.

You mean Thailand IS  successful controlling covid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

You mean Thailand IS  successful controlling covid?

I mean Thailand is not successful at controlling the flu.Just wait for the next flu pandemic and see what the world does to "control" it.Get ready for more economy destroying lockdowns in a few years just when you thought it was safe to go outside without a mask.Now we have the "protect the vulnerable" system in place I can't see us getting rid of it without a huge backflip.

19 minutes ago, Mike Rodik said:

no link to more details ?

not to be morbid, but I like to know how old the last person that died was...

Found on The Pattaya News:

The 80th national death was a 65-year-old Thai woman with underlying diseases of laryngeal cancer, chronic kidney failure, and high blood fat. She was reportedly in close contact with five family members who were involved in a major shrimp market cluster in Samut Sakhon.

EDIT: There are more details on that site.

Edited by KhunG

The story in the site that can't be linked here Post raises some serious questions about Thailand's questionable methods of dealing with a serious outbreak of a deadly disease by incarcerating uninfected people together with infected patients and subjecting them to possible serious health risks and death.With a global case fatality rate of 2.189% would mean out of 7000 positive tests one could expect 153 deaths.This is how a country ranked 4th in the world for dealing with the pandemic deals with what it classes as a lower class of people (foreigners).It would be interesting to know how many Thais are caught up in this murderous mess.Is this their idea of track, trace and isolate?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like they stopped reporting the walk-ins. However, reading another paper, I see that another staff member at Chulalongkorn University has tested positive during active testing.  First I have heard they had been finding staff infected there or that they were doing tracing and tracking as well as active testing.

Not sure Ryan, but I believe they had an initial outbreak of 6, followed by finding another 6, and now this one, all over the past week or so.

All reported to be Staff members

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Isn't that where they are developing one of the vaccines? Maybe there has been a "leak" ....

They were developing an mRNA vaccine (see link below). Since that doesn't involve the live virus at any point in the process (just the genetic code for making copies of the spike protein, which by itself is totally innocuous) a leak of material from their vaccine development lab would have had zero chance of causing an infection.

Thailand's search for a Covid vaccine

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

I read that also this afternoon. Waiting for 'herd immunity' without vaccination is somewhat the original plans of the US/UK which backfired miserably as the world knows. I certainly hope someone curtails this insanity but if true and that's their thinking, Buddha help us all...

I guess it is ok to treat migrants as prisoners. Sort of remind me of how the US back in the day forced the Indians off of their lands and started smallpox outbreaks killing many when they gave them blankets with the spores upon them. It is also starting to sound like what Germany did with creating the camps in WW2, except those camps were used to exterminate the Jews and those not like themselves. 

By forcing all of the migrants into this situation they are surely creating an environment where people can become very ill and possibly die.  Where is the World in condemning these atrocities.  Of course there will be a few on here who say if I don't like what's happening to leave Thailand and quit complaining as it is their country and not mine.  People are not to be treated like cattle.  Sweden tried the herd immunity route as well as Mexico and it failed terribly, why does Thailand think they will fare any better, oh wait, they could care less as they are just lowly migrants.  No this is not fake news, and No there is no sarcasm in this post but just pure outrage on my part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The story in the site that can't be linked here Post raises some serious questions about Thailand's questionable methods of dealing with a serious outbreak of a deadly disease by incarcerating uninfected people together with infected patients and subjecting them to possible serious health risks and death.With a global case fatality rate of 2.189% would mean out of 7000 positive tests one could expect 153 deaths.This is how a country ranked 4th in the world for dealing with the pandemic deals with what it classes as a lower class of people (foreigners).It would be interesting to know how many Thais are caught up in this murderous mess.Is this their idea of track, trace and isolate?

There will be one of the usual health service cheer leaders along soon defending this outrageous action.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I guess it is ok to treat migrants as prisoners. Sort of remind me of how the US back in the day forced the Indians off of their lands and started smallpox outbreaks killing many when they gave them blankets with the spores upon them. It is also starting to sound like what Germany did with creating the camps in WW2, except those camps were used to exterminate the Jews and those not like themselves. 

By forcing all of the migrants into this situation they are surely creating an environment where people can become very ill and possibly die.  Where is the World in condemning these atrocities.  Of course there will be a few on here who say if I don't like what's happening to leave Thailand and quit complaining as it is their country and not mine.  People are not to be treated like cattle.  Sweden tried the herd immunity route as well as Mexico and it failed terribly, why does Thailand think they will fare any better, oh wait, they could care less as they are just lowly migrants.  No this is not fake news, and No there is no sarcasm in this post but just pure outrage on my part.

I find your comparisons a little extreme. People from Burma come here to work. If they catch covid they should be isolated, no two ways about it. But once tested negative I have no doubt that they would be free to go back to Burma. Problem is there are too many lined up to take their place. This other business about herd immunity etc is just bs from those who should know better. But the Burmese had a choice. The Swedes were at the mercy of the same type of intellect as well as the Mexicans. The Indians had no choice nor the Jews. Many have said on this site and others that the Australians with their 'forced' quarantines have been slammed with the same kind of language but if you ask me, they are one of the few countries in the world doing it right. 

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Not sure Ryan, but I believe they had an initial outbreak of 6, followed by finding another 6, and now this one, all over the past week or so.

All reported to be Staff members

All the staff at this establishment don't get locked up with their uninfected colleagues to wait for herd immunity,they get put up at a plush hospital to receive the best first class services afforded to their hiso class,which is in stark contrast to their fellow human beings in Samut Sakhon who suffer the enforced "let it rip" approach of Thailands best practice afforded to the slave labour types of lower classed not to mention "smelly" foreigner types.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems like Chulalongkorn university has a small cluster.  I live only 1.5km from the location and we normally walk by the university.  Would have liked to have learned of this a few days ago as we would have altered our route....delays in reporting are whats pushing this further into Bangkok.

It's to do with staff who live in dorms there. No students so far have tested positive

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes maybe a little over the top, but I am downright incensed as to the way these folks are being treated.  Imagine if they tried to keep all expats locked inside of their homes, villages, or condos.  If they are not positive for Covid in anyway then they should not be thrown in together, and only those should be allowed to continue working while those who have the virus are treated or wait out the time frame until they test negative.  Are they treating the staff at Chulalongkorn University the same way as the migrants?  No they are not.  Treat everyone the same, just like you pointed out that Australia is, and I would find no issues as it would be done evenly and across the board.

Aussie would <deleted> and moan incessantly if hospitalised with no symptoms. They wouldn't even isolate at home. Many plan also not to vaccinate. Many think it's a scam. Hopefully Australians will get smashed with covid. Maybe they will wake up.