Three nursery school teachers arrested in Khon Kaen as part of Thai stimulus schemes fraud  inquiry

webfact

Three nursery school teachers arrested in Khon Kaen as part of Thai stimulus schemes fraud  inquiry

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Three nursery teachers in the Nong Reua area of Khon Kaen in Thailand's north east were arrested yesterday in connection with fraud in the "Let's Travel Together" and "Let's Go Halves" stimulus schemes. 

They were mixed up in a fraud perpetrated by a Dr Phuphaphoom and a teacher called Fon. 

They illegally presented other people's documents for the purposes of enriching themselves. 

The nursery teachers were not named but were charged with three offences connected to the illegal use of documents for financial gain using technology.

Electronic equipment was seized along with a list of names, ID cards and Thai bank details. 

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They were arrested on a warrant issued by the court in Chumphae. 

Police said that many more arrests in the Khon Kaen area are expected. 

Thaivisa notes that the stimulus schemes have been riddled with fraudulent activity with hundreds of cases pending nationwide. 

Essentially money was creamed off for trips and purchases that never happened. 

This case appears to have centered around documents of parents or staff at a school being used for fraud. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

Well, this is Thailand, so without adequate safeguards some stimulus scheme frauds were inevitable, I guess everyone was caught off guard by the scale of it, says a lot about something, not sure what. As an entertaining aside here's an opening quote from an old 17th century poem:

"The law locks up the man or woman who steals the goose from off the common but ... .".

Make of that what you will.

when 60% plus  of thai society thinks that graft etc is a good thing according to surveys done what do you expect, money is the make all for many of them and they will do anything to get it unfortunately whether it is legal or not, ripping off others appears to be fair game 

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seajae said:

when 60% plus  of thai society thinks that graft etc is a good thing according to surveys done what do you expect, money is the make all for many of them and they will do anything to get it unfortunately whether it is legal or not, ripping off others appears to be fair game 

They a re only ripping off the government here.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the stimulus schemes have been riddled with fraudulent activity with hundreds of cases pending nationwide.

Corruption is at the heart of most Thais... Prayut failed to uphold his promise to stamp it out.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Corruption is at the heart of most Thais... Prayut failed to uphold his promise to stamp it out.

I believe most Thais actually are happy with corruption. I was happy to pay 300 baht to a copper when I tried to go on the expressway in Bangkok but went through the one you need a card for. Better that having to go to Lumpini Police station which would have added approx 3 hours to my trip home. 

I'm happy to pay for one of kids to pass an exam and not have to go to summer school, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 2:43 AM, DaiHard said:

You gotta watch those nursery teachers, high level international financial fraudsters the lot of 'em. Btw what is someone with a PHD doing working as a kindergarten teacher?

There's also the point that the scheme was obviously very poorly planned in terms of ensuring only those eligible could register and others couldn't interfere with the reg. process. 

On 2/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Neeranam said:

I believe most Thais actually are happy with corruption. I was happy to pay 300 baht to a copper when I tried to go on the expressway in Bangkok but went through the one you need a card for. Better that having to go to Lumpini Police station which would have added approx 3 hours to my trip home. 

I'm happy to pay for one of kids to pass an exam and not have to go to summer school, etc. 

You Can afford it.. The guy who makes 350 baht a day and is hit with a 200 baht fine for not wearing a helmet  cant Corruption affects the people at the bottom of the pile the most.are you so obtuse?

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, DaiHard said:

You gotta watch those nursery teachers, high level international financial fraudsters the lot of 'em. Btw what is someone with a PHD doing working as a kindergarten teacher?

Haha. Let me tell you something about my years of teaching here, in government schools before moving to private. The Thai teachers have a lot of time to kill in the office. By Western educational standards most of their jobs are a joke. About 10% of their time might be involved with something remotely educational, like occasionally dropping off packets or worksheets to their classrooms, where the kids mostly run amok. The other 90% is spent sitting in the office, playing on Facebook, online shopping, chit chatting, running side businesses, which for some moves into stock trading, gambling, then straight running up scams. Haha. The devil finds work for idle hands.

This can be found throughout all branches of Thai government. I also saw this at the municipal offices. As I waited to turn in paperwork I wondered, just what do all these people do all day? Web surfing, drinking coffee, blah blah blah. It was then no surprise that about a year ago, one of such workers had been dipping into the municipal account to fund her online gambling habit, to the tune of tens of millions of baht.

As for the PhD, these too are a joke. Many are often paid for, with little to no coursework done. Several former colleagues of mine told me about being asked to review a thesis from a Thai teacher for their PhD. Copy and pasted, Google Translated nonsense, whatever they could find that’s vaguely related to education. I then later met one of these “PhDs” from a local Rajabhat out in the Issan sticks, at one of the local farang bars. This PhD afforded her barely comprehensible English, with a lot of slang and cussing interjected the more she drank, along with the increasingly obnoxious mannerisms of a Nana bargirl. Haha! Amazing Thailand!

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, trainman34014 said:

Just can't help themselves; sticky fingers the lot of them !

And no sense of morality/ethics.  They'll get to heaven by making merit like Catholics using the confessional.

Easy. Got one of those cheap PHD's from an outback university in Texas.

Did anyone mention PhD, it said Dr, now that could be medical, dental or even make believe ????