Studying Thai During ASQ

Somchair

I am curious to hear of anyone's experience with using the quarantine time to begin studying the Thai language.

Can anyone recommend a solid online tutor/class that can be utilised during ASQ? I saw some kind of package advertised on Thaiest, but couldn't find any reviews for it.

How much progress did you manage to make during the two weeks? Did being in ASQ help you to commit to the studying better than if you were studying outside of ASQ?

It is more about your desire to put the effort in to learning than the 'where you are'.. as well as your capabilities... everyone learns differently. 

If you want some beginner materials I can send you some free... just send me a pm

I was at the mid-intermediate level coming into ASQ, but i arranged for a one-on-one 2hr Thai language class via Zoom each night at 21:00.

It was designed as an intensive course as I had “homework” after each class - some was from the book (my tutor dropped off the books and materials we used at my asq before i arrived), i also had to record video of myself speaking (checking tones)

i think in total, i probably spent about 5 to 6 hours each day (including the 2 hours class time) on the language ...  

did i improve after 2 weeks?  yes - absolutely.. i pushed myself to listen to the official thai news (they use proper thai) and read a little from the thai newspaper that i got each morning.

I found that by using it each and everyday, together with the “immersion” via television and reading, my listening skills got a lot better.  My speaking too. 

to me, if you’re really committed to learning, the 2 weeks of essentially uninterrupted time, is a great time to really push yourself. 

Sounds like a total waste of time to me, but to each his own. Why learn a language only spoken by circa 70 million people ( even less for Issan) in a  world population of nearly 8 billion?  You really don't need much Thai to live quite happily here and I can think of many more ways to while away your time in quarantine than that.  

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Sounds like a total waste of time to me, but to each his own. Why learn a language only spoken by circa 70 million people ( even less for Issan) in a  world population of nearly 8 billion?  You really don't need much Thai to live quite happily here and I can think of many more ways to while away your time in quarantine than that.  

One reason is to show respect to the country and people. 

48 minutes ago, weedywhaoo said:

One reason is to show respect to the country and people. 

fair enough, but I find a few polite words and phrases does the same. Unless you are going for PR or citizenship, fluency is not really needed.  However, as I said, if learning it keeps people off the streets and occupied, then fair enough. 

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you live in a country with 70 million people, it can be very handy to learn their language. It gives you a lot more access to information, you get better service, prices and are more respected. You are not depended on others to get things done with different organizations.

Archived