NASA's astrobiology rover Perseverance makes historic Mars landing

webfact

I watched coverage of this event on NASA TV. One of the announcers made a comment that it (currently) takes 11 minutes for radio signals to go from Earth to Mars (and obviously the same time the other way around). Naturally, the time delay varies, depending on the distance between Earth and Mars.

A few (maybe 5) minutes after the rover landed, it beamed back an image of the surface to Earth. How was that possible?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Congratulations! As I have said on another similar thread, we live in fantastic times. The SS, and the Universe beyond, awaits us with all its wonders, dangers and mysteries. Truly the beginning of a pioneering era. But if we take our greed etc. with us it could be all over in a short time. We have so much going for us. Within the next few decades humanity could have found solutions to the many problems that will confront future astronauts; building structures to start colonies and begin testing Einsteins Relativity theories for long journeys.

I am happy that this landing was another success for NASA.  I am also glad

that I am too old to be wanting to go to Mars on the first 2 human flights to

the planet, as they will be one way trips. Radiation is the main problem. 2 months of it

on the way to Mars, means that you will not live long enough to make a return trip to

Earth.  That is something to think about for the dreamers.  I am waiting to see the renewed

trips to the moon, and a colony being built there.  That is the next step in the Mars saga.

Geezer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gumballl said:

I watched coverage of this event on NASA TV. One of the announcers made a comment that it (currently) takes 11 minutes for radio signals to go from Earth to Mars (and obviously the same time the other way around). Naturally, the time delay varies, depending on the distance between Earth and Mars.

A few (maybe 5) minutes after the rover landed, it beamed back an image of the surface to Earth. How was that possible?

Confusing isn't it?

Better to say 16 minutes after the rover landed....

This is not another conspiracy theory.

TV was my first confirmation of a successful landing.

All the other web sites i visit kept talking about debris.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

When I read something like this I am put into a state of awe at what Humanity can accomplish when there is a confluence of Will and Resources. These scientists flew a ship billions of kilometers, created a way to shimmy down through an alien atmosphere and gently deposited a vehicle on the ground in a specific location. Think of the magnificent accomplishment that is; all over the planet this morning, some humans are backing out of their driveways and hitting their trash cans!

It also gives me great hope for Humanity in dealing with the Corona virus and other future challenges; is there any limitation that Humanity faces when it focuses its brain-power and a proper amount of resources at a problem?

The above was meant as a rhetorical question, but even as I typed, I knew the unfortunate answer; yeah, there are limitations because we as a species can't get our collective Thumbs out of our collective Asses. What might we accomplish if we put our collective minds to issues rather than indulge in petty nationalism, petty bickering and just plain stupid conflict based on nothing?

We as a species are either destined for truly great wonders beyond what is currently even imaginable or we are destined to kill ourselves off over some stupid, inconsequential, petty reason. The truly sad thing is that the latter is the more likely outcome.

Oh Humanity, I weep for thee!

Well, we (as a species) started out with clans, than villages, tribes, towns, city states, countries, empires and now the inklings of international frameworks. Generally speaking, the movement is for ever larger groupings, more cooperation. There are setbacks, there are push backs, and it often seems, at a present given set time, that things are otherwise. But taking a historical view, that's what people do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Einsteins Relativity theories for long journeys

Einstein said too , that it will be impossible to travel at the speed of light or faster ..

If even the light emitted by stars in our own Galaxy needs hundreds or thousands of yrs to reach us , how can it become possible for people to ever reach a solar system that is hundreds of light years away ? Only in a cyrogenic  , (deep frozen ) state , that might become possible ...?

But , out there , there are many things we do not yet know about ... may be there is a ' wormhole ' or a shortcut of some kind we can take ...?

Anyway , I think that there is a 5th dimension , a spiritual one , that is not bound to the other 4 dimensions ...

My purely hypothetical nonsense , of course ... no proof at all for this , but some suspicions remain ... I will know when I die .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Einstein said too , that it will be impossible to travel at the speed of light or faster ..

If even the light emitted by stars in our own Galaxy needs hundreds or thousands of yrs to reach us , how can it become possible for people to ever reach a solar system that is hundreds of light years away ? Only in a cyrogenic  , (deep frozen ) state , that might become possible ...?

But , out there , there are many things we do not yet know about ... may be there is a ' wormhole ' or a shortcut of some kind we can take ...?

Anyway , I think that there is a 5th dimension , a spiritual one , that is not bound to the other 4 dimensions ...

My purely hypothetical nonsense , of course ... no proof at all for this , but some suspicions remain ... I will know when I die .

I wasn't thinking about travelling at c or > c but fractions of thereof. For example Neptune is about 4.2 Light hours from the Sun (give or take depending on position) which is about 30.4 times that for the Earth. Because of the the orbital distances are constantly changing let's just say an average distance from Earth to Neptune is around 4.4x109 km. At 0.001 c this would mean a journey of about 6 months. At this low level we wouldn't even have to worry about SR time dilation effects (1 hour on the ship would correspond, roughly, to about 1.0000005 hours on Earth). Some of the probes on present missions travel much faster than this so we know there is no problem as far as instruments are concerned. But we'll need much bigger craft for human travel and better energy/thrust values than we currently have. Several means of propulsion are under experiment at present so within the next decade or so we should have an engine that has a good energy/thrust ratio. With these 0.01 c might be achievable and again special relativistic effects will be hardly noticed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Because it took 11 mins for the 'confirmation of landing' signal to arrive, then a further 5 mins for the image signal to arrive. Simple really.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2