New multi-storey car park to ease Pattaya’s car parking woes

webfact

New multi-storey car park to ease Pattaya’s car parking woes

4pm.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

Pattaya's go ahead mayor was celebrating yet another boon for the resort's future.

A multi-story car park.

Plans for the five story structure next to the Bang Lamung district chief's residence at the Lan Pho market have received the final go ahead from the Treasury Department.

Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem told Sophon Cable TV that it will be great for tourism and trade.

It will cater to 240 cars and 100 motorcycles and it is expected that the market will get 2,000 visitors using the car park every day. 

Contract signing with the contractors will now follow.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-08

Behind Naklua fish market.....  not where I would choose to park. What happened to the idea of one in front of T21....  and what is the status of the Bali Hai one?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Who owns the land ????

City land. This project was discussed in another thread not long ago. It will be built on the city land next to the parking lot at the side of the market, with the entrance opening onto the Pattaya-Naklua road. It will extend back towards the water but the grassy area that people like to picnic on is supposed to remain.

In the pic, the building will go into that area currently occupied by palm trees and bushes. The market is further down to the right.
d.png.d813a58b530a9d9d4dc7b04ffa68c0c5.png

It will be a laugh to see it when it's done if they keep to the original design.

Each level was, according the diagrams in the other thread, only 2 meters high from the floor of each level to the ceiling above !! 

Add in lights, signs and pipes and anything over 1.5 meters in height won't be able to drive inside !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

How is a car park great for tourism ?

Only thing I can think of is that at the end of a trip to Pattaya at weekends, the area is very busy with Bangkok folk buying sea food to take home.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sungod said:

Only thing I can think of is that at the end of a trip to Pattaya at weekends, the area is very busy with Bangkok folk buying sea food to take home.

I thought the market here was an early morning one.

A lot of locals (wives and restaurant owners) go there early in the morning to buy fresh seafood for their homes/businesses.

As sungod mentions though, it is open all day and usually pretty busy as well. A lot of people will buy a selection of seafood and have it grilled, then take it to the park to eat.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Behind Naklua fish market.....  not where I would choose to park. What happened to the idea of one in front of T21....  and what is the status of the Bali Hai one?

They are building it now , the darkness already shadowing Starbucks 

44 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

A lot of locals (wives and restaurant owners) go there early in the morning to buy fresh seafood for their homes/businesses.

As sungod mentions though, it is open all day and usually pretty busy as well. A lot of people will buy a selection of seafood and have it grilled, then take it to the park to eat.

It’s supposed to get cars off the road I Pattaya  not just for fish market 

17 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

It’s supposed to get cars off the road I Pattaya  not just for fish market 

Umm no.

It's a car park to make things easier for people going to the Lan Pho market. It's not meant to "get cars off the road". 
As the article mentions, the building will only accommodate 240 cars any ways. Not like that will make a schmeck of difference to the traffic situation in Pattaya. 
And they expect upwards of 2,000 people per day to use it. 

I'd say that's on the low side. Probably get 2,000 there by noon on a lot of days. Any time I've gone there in a car, it's been a pain in the butt to find parking, even in the "back" lot which is usually filled with vehicles from the vendors or the people living in the shanties beside the market. (And usually a PITA to get there, or out of there, most of the time as well as there's only one way in/out and it's a very narrow little street).

I usually try to go before 06:00 myself, on my scooter. Even then the current parking area is often full at that time. 

12 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Umm no.

It's a car park to make things easier for people going to the Lan Pho market. It's not meant to "get cars off the road". 
As the article mentions, the building will only accommodate 240 cars any ways. Not like that will make a schmeck of difference to the traffic situation in Pattaya. 

Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem told Sophon Cable TV that it will be great for tourism and trade.

They seem to be waving a flag over this but i see it of no use to tourists, in an area that is already a traffic jam.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The one at T21 is under construction and has been for about a month. It's in front of the entrance to Foodland where the baht buses U-turn on Nua to go to the beach.

A couple of big cranes on site today. It will be finished before we know it; that's the private sector for you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They seem to be waving a flag over this but i see it of no use to tourists, in an area that is already a traffic jam.

Yeah, I think that was the reason for it (the parking garage) - the nasty traffic in that congested little area. It was often bad even before they were doing roadwork down there.

(Domestic) tourism probably doesn't play a lot there other than from people in the surrounding communities. If I recall, the Ang Sila market by Chon Buri is bigger (and easier to get to, and closer for people from Bangkok).

Whatever happens, it will be sure to mess up traffic there - again - for a few more months (at least). On top of the road works they recently did. And the drainage project they recently did.

(It's like as soon as they finish one project that has messed things up, they immediately start another one just so things will continue to be messed up down there !)

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

If I recall, the Ang Sila market by Chon Buri is bigger (and easier to get to, and closer for people from Bangkok).

Yeah Ang Sila is a big touristy thing, but well attended by people from the city too.  I have enjoyed several visits eating seafood freshly cooked on the pier (with a beer of course). Mind you getting through Chonburi City can be slow too.   

Always been a traffic mess in the Naklua market area and it needs to be relocated to a fit for purpose built place, like Jomtien was. A band-aid on an axe cleave.

Edited by jacko45k

City Hall have identified Naklua as a future tourist hotspot and not necessarily for just Thais. The Chinese and Koreans have been moving up Naklua Road for a couple of years as both tourists and residents, though Covid has of course stalled this movement. I wonder if there will be spaces allotted to coaches in the new car park.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Construction has started on the new T21 parking garage.

I hope it's designed better than the one at Central Festival.  It's always a 20 minute drive up multiple floors past empty spaces commandeered by the posh Hilton hotel.  Repeat on the way down and it's hardly an incentive to shop there.

(Notwithstanding the rumours that it moves in the wind.)

On 3/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, Kerryd said:

City land. This project was discussed in another thread not long ago. It will be built on the city land next to the parking lot at the side of the market, with the entrance opening onto the Pattaya-Naklua road. It will extend back towards the water but the grassy area that people like to picnic on is supposed to remain.

In the pic, the building will go into that area currently occupied by palm trees and bushes. The market is further down to the right.
d.png.d813a58b530a9d9d4dc7b04ffa68c0c5.png

It will be a laugh to see it when it's done if they keep to the original design.

Each level was, according the diagrams in the other thread, only 2 meters high from the floor of each level to the ceiling above !! 

Add in lights, signs and pipes and anything over 1.5 meters in height won't be able to drive inside !

I have been reading the other thread. I go there often and am curious where exactly it will be. I posted that it would be a pity if the palm trees you mention go and someone said it was beside that and that area would not be affected. There is a building beside it and the kiosk and the rotunda which I was thinking might be where it is  going to be. I hope they don't cut down all the trees. There is little open space in the area. Even the beaches are taken by apartments and hotels. They say there will be a rooftop garden but I'm sure that will be closed for maintenance all the time within a year of opening.

26 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I have been reading the other thread. I go there often and am curious where exactly it will be. I posted that it would be a pity if the palm trees you mention go and someone said it was beside that and that area would not be affected. There is a building beside it and the kiosk and the rotunda which I was thinking might be where it is  going to be. I hope they don't cut down all the trees. There is little open space in the area. Even the beaches are taken by apartments and hotels. They say there will be a rooftop garden but I'm sure that will be closed for maintenance all the time within a year of opening.

One of the images in that other thread shows exactly where they are planning the garage to go.
101840321_3453677801309606_7901113424113210051_n.jpg.6deb946f2879ad1cdb8c436177960c99.thumb.jpg.44d700d213769128ba20f72beee084f1.jpg

It is supposed to go in the area I noted in my previous post, between the private buildings below that area and the existing buildings that are on the left side of the current parking area. 
The main entrance is supposed to open onto the main Pattaya-Naklua road and you can see that it looks like the little road the starts at the Clock Monument will go to the side of the garage.

They can't build on the existing parking area because that would cut off the street leading to the "rear" parking area and it looks like they have no plans on demolishing the buildings in that area between the current parking area and the proposed garage.

That image also shows that most of that green "grassy" area where people like to picnic will still be there and maybe that small "kids" area will survive as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

One of the images in that other thread shows exactly where they are planning the garage to go.
101840321_3453677801309606_7901113424113210051_n.jpg.6deb946f2879ad1cdb8c436177960c99.thumb.jpg.44d700d213769128ba20f72beee084f1.jpg

It is supposed to go in the area I noted in my previous post, between the private buildings below that area and the existing buildings that are on the left side of the current parking area. 
The main entrance is supposed to open onto the main Pattaya-Naklua road and you can see that it looks like the little road the starts at the Clock Monument will go to the side of the garage.

They can't build on the existing parking area because that would cut off the street leading to the "rear" parking area and it looks like they have no plans on demolishing the buildings in that area between the current parking area and the proposed garage.

That image also shows that most of that green "grassy" area where people like to picnic will still be there and maybe that small "kids" area will survive as well.

I feel sorry for the kids. No wonder they are so overweight. They will grow up with no idea of what grass and trees are because everything is concreteThey can't go to the beach because it is all taken by resort's. They obviously don't show any pedestrian access except through the car park because everyone drives or rides motorbikes anyway. Why would anyone walk? The packs of wild dogs will get you if you do.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, Skallywag said:

I am still waiting for the start of the 160 million baht Neo Pattaya Beach renovation that was supposed to start October 2020.  Then there is the Bali Hai pier project which has not started. 

Maybe the news should only report things that are actually happening instead of things that are "planned" in Pattaya!  LOL

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/10/01/beach-renovation-underway-for-neo-pattaya-160-million-baht-beach-renovation-starting-this-month/?fbclid=IwAR2OaYzAC1IVG4g2fO046ypZGG_1K5ZNaGJIkKF-XzWVRXOR3N_iyU4MX2Q

Yea what did happen to Pattays NEO BEACH renovation?.......Not a single word about it in the press for many months now.....This was not a MAYBE or a IF....This was a sure thing........The beach walkway is still in very bad shape........Its like they are pretending whole project never existed... 

Edited by redwood1

15 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Yea what did happen to Pattays NEO BEACH renovation?.......Not a single word about it in the press for many months now.....This was not a MAYBE or a IF....This was a sure thing........The beach walkway is still in very bad shape........Its like they are pretending whole project never existed... 

There is a poster on Sukumvit Rd I think just before the motorway going towards Naklua which advertises Neo Pattaya. It has a picture of the planned car park on it. Must be the signature development.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:52 PM, Kerryd said:

Umm no.

And they expect upwards of 2,000 people per day to use it. 

I'd say that's on the low side. Probably get 2,000 there by noon on a lot of days. Any time I've gone there in a car, it's been a pain in the butt to find parking, even in the "back" lot which is usually filled with vehicles from the vendors or the people living in the shanties beside the market. (And usually a PITA to get there, or out of there, most of the time as well as there's only one way in/out and it's a very narrow little street).

I usually try to go before 06:00 myself, on my scooter. Even then the current parking area is often full at that time. 

They are building the parking lots at Terminal21 to get people out there cars right by Starbucks construction