ความคิดสั้นๆ

ColeBOzbourne

I recently heard ความคิดสั้นๆ used multiple times on Master Chef Thailand in a couple of contexts. I would roughly translate it to some type of brief/short thought or idea, but would like to understand it better.

Context One: Competitors were deciding how to prepare a meal and were told that ความคิดสั้นๆ is not good enough. I'm assuming they needed to put more thought or deeper thought into it. Not just settle for the first quick idea that came to mind.

Context Two: Judges were expressing opinions or giving feedback on the meals, and many times started with ความคิดสั้นๆ. I'm thinking it's like saying, "In brief my opinion is..." or "A quick thought of mine is..."

I'm hoping somebody here can give a better translation or do better justice in expressing what is meant by this phrase. Thanks 

As I learnt from the เจ้าสัว example, I need to look up the whole word. It is more or less as you say.
คิดสั้น ก. คิดทำลายตนเองเพราะหาทางออกไม่ได้ cannot see a way out so you kill yourself.  ความคิดสั้น is being shortsighted, not looking ahead, or being unable to see  the consequences of what you are doing, perhaps. Have another look and make up your own mind. 

Yes, thanks tgeezer. That fits very well with context one, and you explained it much better than me. I still wonder about context two where they often began a sentence with ความคิดสั้นๆ, and then went on to express their opinions. It's possible I misunderstood what was happening.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Context Two: Judges were expressing opinions or giving feedback on the meals, and many times started with ความคิดสั้นๆ. I'm thinking it's like saying, "In brief my opinion is..." or "A quick thought of mine is..."

Back on line again but for how long I wonder! 
I notice that you are treating ความคิดสั้น as a verb phrase when it is an abstract noun. Look for a verb in the dialogue where you found it. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

20 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I notice that you are treating ความคิดสั้น as a verb phrase when it is an abstract noun. Look for a verb in the dialogue where you found it. 

Now that my brain is tuned into it I seem to hear it often. Below are some examples of how it was used in combination with a verb. Sometimes the verb was before and sometimes it was after ความคิดสั้นๆ. Judges were choosing between dish-A and dish-B. I typed it up the best I could after hearing the dialogue, I'm sure there are mistakes. The verbs are 'I like', 'I have to go with', 'I believe'.

ความคิดสั้นๆ เพิยงชอบจาน-A

ชอบความคิดสั้นๆ จาน-A

ความคิดสั้นๆ ต้องไปกับจาน-A

ความคิดสั้นๆ ผมเชื่อจาน-A ดีที่สุด

Slightly different, but makes me wonder if there's a connection:

Somewhere in my Thai studies I came across: อาหารสิ้นคิด 

My teacher told me it refers to those common day dishes:  for example, ผัดกระเพรา, ไข่เจียว, ข้างเหนียงหมูปิ้ง

She said that when faced with a fancy menu, people often order these dishes because that's what they're familiar with......rather than dishes with a fancy name (อาหารแฟนซี).  If a dish sounds unfamiliar, I'd be prone to ask questions.....but if you shy away from asking, you'd probably go with what you know.

Just as it is becoming interesting I find that my iPad is blocked and my iPhone not up to the task. I would like to try reading but without interaction I don’t see the point. 
I would like to meet up on some other app. Facetime for example. I understand that some people value anonymity but I don’t see what it gives other than the freedom it affords to those who want to offend which I don’t consider contributes to learning. 

Sorry. 

10 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Slightly different, but makes me wonder if there's a connection:

Somewhere in my Thai studies I came across: อาหารสิ้นคิด 

My teacher told me it refers to those common day dishes:  for example, ผัดกระเพรา, ไข่เจียว, ข้างเหนียงหมูปิ้ง

She said that when faced with a fancy menu, people often order these dishes because that's what they're familiar with......rather than dishes with a fancy name (อาหารแฟนซี).  If a dish sounds unfamiliar, I'd be prone to ask questions.....but if you shy away from asking, you'd probably go with what you know.

For info.  I am on my iPad but using Chrome. 
Finger trouble kokesaat, your ข้าว is coming out ข้าง etc. 

คิดสั้น ๆ and สิ้นคิด are closely allied I think.  People don't read dictionaries so they could mean the same.  
Decisions are the result of thinking in both cases, one is to not think at all and the other to think for a short time maybe. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:25 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Now that my brain is tuned into it I seem to hear it often. Below are some examples of how it was used in combination with a verb. Sometimes the verb was before and sometimes it was after ความคิดสั้นๆ. Judges were choosing between dish-A and dish-B. I typed it up the best I could after hearing the dialogue, I'm sure there are mistakes. The verbs are 'I like', 'I have to go with', 'I believe'.

ความคิดสั้นๆ เพิยงชอบจาน-A

ชอบความคิดสั้นๆ จาน-A

ความคิดสั้นๆ ต้องไปกับจาน-A

ความคิดสั้นๆ ผมเชื่อจาน-A ดีที่สุด

That is all one can do until after masses of exposure it comes to mean something without reference to English. 
Look at ต้องไปกับ which you say means "must go with" that is what I would say but only because I am familiar with the English. Neither Thai nor English make sense literally do they?